.40 vs .45

Luckyforward

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rocker2229

Lucky,

I think the bottom line for this question is really what works best for you, and surely some of the comments have been helpful.

Personally, I "debated" the 9mm vs .40 vs .45 endlessly and came back to where I started: Sig P228 loaded with Winchester Ranger T 124gr +P inside of 17 round MecGar magazines (Sig 226 mags with the x-grip adapter). I hope to never need to use it, but I wouldn't feel undergunned (if that's a word) with my current carry weapon.

Doc

This is the one gun that I have yet to hold in my hands . . . will do!

You will be glad you did, just do it before you make a decision. I have the M&P 40c and it is very nice. Got the CS red dot grip for it and put the pinki extenion on all my mags, and it does have interchangable back straps to get a better "feel" and fit. If you were close I'd let you try mine out.

You may have solved my problem . . . I just needed a bit more room.

Thanks

It's great for shooting, but I actually took mine off for EDC, just to make as concealable as possible. I was already used to the little finger dangling from Kahr. So I use extension on other 10 rounder at range, and have two 16 rounders also.

I added stick-on panel grip on right side of butt and thumb recess grip on left side, just to make sure grip is good on the short butt.

- OS

Guest nraforlife
I would consider the S&W M&P 40C.

+1... This is also my carry gun. However, I also have a full size 1911 in 45ACP. I just prefer the .40 EITHER caliber will put big holes in whatever they hit.

+1... This is also my carry gun. However, I also have a full size 1911 in 45ACP. I just prefer the .40 EITHER caliber will put big holes in whatever they hit.

Yea I shot a cantalope (had to put it down, rabid I guess) from about 12 to 15 feet using gold dot 165 grain and the dang thing exploded. I was picking up pieces of it for a week.:D

Guest canynracer

Course the new XDM has 20 rounds of grizzly bear stopping 9mm....now you can get into a gunfight, miss 19 rounds and focus on that one man stopper and if you load every other on with a tracer, well you can make adjustments on the fly.

ok, sorry for being a smart azz...seriously though, I read the new XDM is on its way, and yes, it holds 20 effing rounds!!!!

Course the new XDM has 20 rounds of grizzly bear stopping 9mm....now you can get into a gunfight, miss 19 rounds and focus on that one man stopper and if you load every other on with a tracer, well you can make adjustments on the fly.

ok, sorry for being a smart azz...seriously though, I read the new XDM is on its way, and yes, it holds 20 effing rounds!!!!

I keep saying, what's the Really Big Deal with a whole 3 more rounds?

I don't get it.

- OS

Yea I shot a cantalope (had to put it down, rabid I guess) from about 12 to 15 feet using gold dot 165 grain and the dang thing exploded. I was picking up pieces of it for a week.:D

As a public minded citizen, I want to thank you for taking out that rabid cantaloupe. You no doubt gave comfort to your community!:D

Guest abailey362

in response to the OP, my choice is .40 becuase of a god mix of ballistics and capacity. The recoil takes getting used to, but I'm shooting a good bit of IDPA with my Sig P229 and I'm following up much better now.

I also have an xdM and personally dont like to carry it, but it is manageable with a good holster. The recoil is a bit more on it than the sig due to lighter frame weight.

It boils down to finding a gun that feels good and you can shoot good with. Regardless of the caliber, you must be comfortable with your choice. Find something, shoot often, and know the gun inside and out.

Guest canynracer
I keep saying, what's the Really Big Deal with a whole 3 more rounds?

I don't get it.

- OS

Nothing...I just wanted to put something in red bold

on another note, if you shot 17 and ran out, bet you would take 3 more If I threw them to ya...LOL

My first pistol was a Ruger P94 in .40, so that is what I learned on in terms of recoil. I now carry either a Sig 229 or a Glock 23. I had a 1911, but I traded it for the Sig, mainly as a way to consolidate calibers as it makes it cheaper to buy ammo in bulk. I will own another .45 at some point, but for now, the .40 is for me. As many have suggested, the most important thing is to find what you shoot well with.

Guest canynracer
Nobody wants to stop and get out of a car there...including the cops.

- OS

True dat...

cops here pull you over for stopping at a red light in Memphis...they approach the car and say "What are you effing CRAZY??? Get your butt outta here before I have to protect you"

no really though.

when my wife and I first moved here with the kids, we got lost, I called a guy from work, he said "If you see a Church's Chicken, you are in the WRONG neighborhood" low and behold, there was Church's...

now We are fresh from CA...I lived 5 min from South Central for 5 years, we were thinking, C'mon, how bad can it be, we are from LA...this cant be THAT bad? but when we started REALLY looking around, it was like HOLY crap we are going to die.

across the street from Church's there was a police car sitting in a parking lot of an ACTUAL Church, I pulled up to him, VERY NICE cop, I told him I was lost, he saw my wife, and kids, and said "That is not the car you wanna be lost in" (Toyota Sequoia) the he said "Follow me, no matter what I do, stay behind me, and dont stop!"

we were laughing, until the neighborhood got even WORSE, we were running red lights, cutting people off..we got to a major intersection with a GREEN light, he stopped with me behind him, blocking traffic, gets out of his car and says "Sir, turn left here, you will see the 40 west, do not stop, do not turn around, get on the highway and continue till you see your offramp. You do not want to be in this neighborhood with your beautiful family"

Wife and I were laughing...but only because the kids were scared...we both knew where we were, and it was NOT funny.

Shortly after, I had my permit...LOL

I dont know the officer, but if he joins this board, or is reading this and remembers me (Black Toyota Sequoia with tinted windows) THANK YOU!!!

BTW, we now know where to go and where NOT to go!!