Truly a Plentiful Harvest

Guest Bronker

Very nice deer, for any hunter! Wow. Congrats on a job well done!

Me and my 7yr old were at a his soccer party last night and when I drove into this N'hood, in Germantown, next to the Wolf River bottoms, I saw a subdivision with no houses that backed up to the bottoms woods. It was right at dusk as we were leaving, so I thought, be a good place for deer. Sure enough, pulled up and across this field about 200 yards away, barely could see so dark, a deer walking. We jump out and take off across the field, and get about 75 yards and there are 5 that we can see, they run and my son can't stop talking about them on the way back to the truck. I hunted growing up but it has been awhile, truely a special time, I am figuring out how to take my son. Good luck and get another one!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grizzly Johnson

WOW what a deer, wish I could get one that big........congrats to the young man, give him a ^5 for me. Nice to see a father spending time with his son and teaching him the right way to hunt.........congrats to you too dad!

Guest Bronker
Congrats for him on his first hunt & nice buck (I still haven't seen one like that on my hunts). Also congrats to him for haveing a dad to take him to the feild. BTW what caliber is the NEF? I like these little guns.

It's actually a Rossi Youth Match Pair .243WIN / 20gauge.

And yes, they are great little guns. Very accurate, and obviously deadly!:whistle:

+1 on the Rossi's. That's what we bought for my youngest and he will probably hate to move up to a larger rifle. He loves the darn thing!

His pile of .223 brass shooting single shot is almost as big as mine shooting the AR when we hit the woods. Now all I have to do is get him to reload for me:D

Guest Bronker
+1 on the Rossi's. That's what we bought for my youngest and he will probably hate to move up to a larger rifle. He loves the darn thing!

RW, I don't know if he'll ever outgrow it. You see how big a boy I am, and even with that short LOP, I can still shoot it fine. Hey...I'll take it if my youngun' ever wants to upgrade. I love shooting it.

• 2 months later...
Guest Bronker

I must post an update, gents. Yesterday afternoon, right before dark, my son (6 year-old) struck again! We were hunting again with jcochran88, out of the same blind as the big buck was taken from. This shot was a 125 yd, quartering-to, coming downhill. He hit this doe a little far back, but we knew she was hit hard. We spent about 1 hour looking for her last night, catching up with her once. We knew she was hit very hard, but not enough to die. We decided to back out, and after about an hour this morning, we found her.

She was a very healthy, fat, mature doe. I will try to post picks in a bit.

This boy, as jcochran88 can attest, has nerves of steel, and is DEADLY with this Rossi .243 Win.

He's hunted twice now. Once, a 125" 8 pointer. Next a mature 100 lb doe. And he is only 6 years old.

Call it luck, or whatever, but I couldn't be more proud of him.

And yes, jcochran88 has got a real 'honey hole'!!!!

That's just awesome and plain amazing for a 6 year old. That's better luck than most of my friends have been having lately, and they've been hunting every other weekend. Can't wait to see more pics.

Thanks for this post. My daughter is 3.5 and she told me this evening "When I get bigger, I'm going hunting with you."

I can't wait to take her squirrel hunting with me, and then deer hunting.

Teaching her the 4 rules of gun safety now, only in 3 year old language :-)

I must post an update, gents. Yesterday afternoon, right before dark, my son (6 year-old) struck again! We were hunting again with jcochran88, out of the same blind as the big buck was taken from. This shot was a 125 yd, quartering-to, coming downhill. He hit this doe a little far back, but we knew she was hit hard. We spent about 1 hour looking for her last night, catching up with her once. We knew she was hit very hard, but not enough to die. We decided to back out, and after about an hour this morning, we found her.

She was a very healthy, fat, mature doe. I will try to post picks in a bit.

This boy, as jcochran88 can attest, has nerves of steel, and is DEADLY with this Rossi .243 Win.

He's hunted twice now. Once, a 125" 8 pointer. Next a mature 100 lb doe. And he is only 6 years old.

Call it luck, or whatever, but I couldn't be more proud of him.

And yes, jcochran88 has got a real 'honey hole'!!!!

Awesome!!!!

It is good to hear these stories.

I am happy for you and the Kid. LOL

Nice job on the long shot and better job on backing off and letting it lie down so you could find it!

Many folks rush to find the prize only to spook it and watch it run away never to be found!

Watch and listen and don't be in any hurry. After it gets quiet, even if you can see it out in front, take the time to ensure its down for good and unload and get safe before moving.

Most of the negligent discharges I have heard about, including an in-law, happen after a successful hunt when the adrenalin is flowing and brain cells are overloaded!

Guest Bronker
Nice job on the long shot and better job on backing off and letting it lie down so you could find it!

Many folks rush to find the prize only to spook it and watch it run away never to be found!

Watch and listen and don't be in any hurry. After it gets quiet, even if you can see it out in front, take the time to ensure its down for good and unload and get safe before moving.

Most of the negligent discharges I have heard about, including an in-law, happen after a successful hunt when the adrenalin is flowing and brain cells are overloaded!

+1