Traveling

So I'm heading off to Florida soon and was thinking about carrying both firearms with me. I have a Sig 2340 and a P238 for when I want some light carry.

I was going to have one on me and the other in my bag. I was going to bring both so I could carry whichever one was appropriate to the activity I was doing/where I was going in Florida. Would I have any issues carrying and having a loaded firearm in my bag while traveling? Should I just keep the ammo separated from the one I'm not carrying?

I just didn't know how much of an issue it would be while traveling through states if I were to be stopped.

Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry down to FL with multiple guns on a fairly regular basis. Assuming you have a permit, you have no worries. I keep one on my hip and one in the center console. Just make sure you don't print in FL.

I think you must notify a officer of your weapon in NC but i'm not 100%. I always notify so that's one regulation that means little to me. I know FL/NC/SC/GA are all accepting of our permits and i've never had issue with any of the mentioned

Edited by Parrothead

Took the family to Panama City Beach, FL by air from Nashville in October.  We flew commercial and I had no problems checking in my handgun at the airport.  

I have a TN HCP and Florida does not allow open carry, even the shirt rising up can bring problems.  Left the Glock 17 at home and went with my smaller Kel-Tec P11.  Carried the entire time and everywhere we went and didn't have any problems.

Took the family to Panama City Beach, FL by air from Nashville in October. We flew commercial and I had no problems checking in my handgun at the airport.

I have a TN HCP and Florida does not allow open carry, even the shirt rising up can bring problems. Left the Glock 17 at home and went with my smaller Kel-Tec P11. Carried the entire time and everywhere we went and didn't have any problems.

It's good to see ease of airline transport for weapons (at least to a reciprocal state) Edited by Gotthegoods
  • 3 weeks later...

Took the family to Panama City Beach, FL by air from Nashville in October.  We flew commercial and I had no problems checking in my handgun at the airport.  

I have a TN HCP and Florida does not allow open carry, even the shirt rising up can bring problems.  Left the Glock 17 at home and went with my smaller Kel-Tec P11.  Carried the entire time and everywhere we went and didn't have any problems.

how does that work what do you have to do or not do

"how does that work what do you have to do or not do"

There is a trend "Flying Commerical" that I posted before my flight.  This was the first time as non-military, that I flew with a weapon.

Flying Southwest, we did not do the curbside check in, went to inside counter.  First thing I said when placing my bag on the low counter "I have a weapon to declare"

Using a two lock plastic hard case (bought at Rural King for about $15) I displayed the weapon from the box, never picking up the gun.  Had slide to the rear, action where the agent could see the gun was unloaded.  Magazine was unloaded, box of ammo in the case as well.  Use the box that the ammo was purchased, NEVER use a plastic baggie to store the rounds.  They tagged the box and off went the suitcase.

I was asked by the agent to stand around for 15 min before going through TSA if there a problem, I could be contacted.  Waited 15 min, boarded out flight.  Arrived in Panama City Beach airport, picked up my bag and off to the hotel.

Trip back was about the same, only the agent didn't ask that I stand in lobby before going through TSA.  I guess it was such a small airport, I wouldn't be hard to locate.  Arrived in Nashville, grabbed my suitcase and went home.