Wilson Tactical Supergrade?

Guest LRJETCAP

Guest LRJETCAP

Disgustingly enough, I have a hankering for a WC.  My uncle, who has a multitude of them allowed me to try my hand at the varying tastes that WC has in production.  Loved the feel of the CQB Elite and Tactical Supergrade.  The fit and finish was something to behold.  Does anyone have .02 worth as far as co-signing for the extra 1k or so for the Tactical Upgrade?  And thoughts between say a Ed Brown or Baer comparatively speaking?  Thanks for any input-

Guest LRJETCAP

I own several Kimber & Springfield products.  I wouldn't stack any of them to the fit & finish of the "off the shelf" product that WC/Baer/EB puts out.  Sure, you could build your own starting out with a Kimber.  But you'd never get your money back out of it long term (or so I wouldn't think).  That being said, I get where you are going as to the shooter being the primary component of accuracy:)

The fit and finish of the Wilsons are top tier... There are peers but nobody is putting them a clear second place.  Shooting the Wilson and Baers are a distinct pleasure.  What I like is the last thing you see in the sights as you shoot has a hole in it.  They are accurate!  I sold my Wilson in favor of keeping my Baer only because it was too pretty to drag around and I was not shooting it.  Baers don't have that problem... they are workers.  Plenty folk run Wilsons and wont have anything else.  There's a reason for that.  Especially if your life depends on it.

That said, out of all the Kimbers I have had, only one has been able to chase the Baer in accuracy and it is ammo dependent.  My 30 year old custom comped Springer will shoot close to it too.  Had a Gold Cup that I thought was a great shooter but the Wilsons and Baers eclipsed it.  When the Baer runs Golden Sabers, nothing will match it.  One hole accuracy on my good eye day... amazing to say the least.

I'm rambling it feels but the point is, there is a difference in the top shelf 1911s IF and only IF you can hold and shoot that difference.  Otherwise, expensive bragging fodder. 

• Like 3

The only top end 1911 that I've shot is my Ed Brown Kobra Karry. Some will argue lessor is just as good for functionality; others won't. I feel a difference between my Ed Brown  and various Colts & Ithacas that I've shot just as I feel a difference between my Cadillac and other vehicles that I've ridden in. The difference is not in shot placement per se, (I'm not THAT good), but in the feel and comfort with the weapon. I feel it in the mechanics of firing and mechanical operation of the weapon. It my be physical, psychological, or both, but nevertheless it's still present. I am comfortable with my Ed Brown whereas others are comfortable with their ______. Ultimately, it's a decision that you should be the only one requiring comfort with.

• Like 2