Favorite suppressor host

For centerfire pistols...I'm using the Beretta 92/96 series.  The action is 100% silencer friendly, reliability-wise.

For rimfire pistols...the Ruger Lites are very nice.  I also have a Walther P22 that I love, but reliability seems to be hit or miss with these guns (not related to the silencer).

Mine is 100% reliable, but when I was teaching HCP classes, a lot of students with P22s had issues.

For rimfire rifles...I'm currently using a S&W M&P AR-15/22.  With an Aimpoint, it's stupid fun.

For centerfire rifles...I'm not there yet.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1
This could be a long thread:)
22lr is the best round to suppress. You want a dedicated 22 can. The Sparrow and the Spectre II are probably the leaders. The AAC Elements are very light and quite.

Pistols that I suppress the most:
SW Model 41
Beretta 87T
Ruger Mark II Stainless
M&P 22 Compact
Browning Buckmark Whisper
All these are super high quality guns that are all the more so suppressed. I have had the Walther p22, M&P 22, ruger lite, ruger 22/45, but like the quality of the previously mentioned guns much better.

22 Rifles
Browning T-bolt whisper
M&P 15/22
Sig 522
Kimber 82G
Ruger 10/22
Kimber 82
Cooper 57M
Browning ATD 22

9mm
Sig 226
M&P
HK a USP
HK VP9

45 ACP
HK USP Tactical

223 AR rifles are quieter suppressed, but still loud.
9mm must be the 158 grain subsonic rounds
45 is by nature subsonic
22 should be either subsonic or standard velocity to avoid supersonic crack
22 high velocity will be suppressed out of really short pistols like the M&P compact

Personally, I ended up having several of my high end guns threaded. The Kimbers and Cooper rifles, the model 41, Beretta 87, and the Browning ATD are examples.
The Browning A-Bolt that I just sold would have been a great choice.
Anyway, sure I am forgetting some.
Rick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
1050fps is supersonic at sea level. Anything above 950fps is considered trans sonic. Sub sonic will be the quietest, below 950fps.

I rented a G19 with a gem tech suppressor and they were out of subsonic ammo so I had to use standard 115gr ammo, I was less than impressed.

.45acp is naturally subsonic

Thanks for the great replies!!

How does 45acp compare in the fun scale? Anyone suppress their Glocks (19 or 21) how do they do? Will Federal 9mm FMJ have a sonic crack ( box says 1125 fps)?

I've got a 1911 that I use a osprey on and its stupid quiet. Likely one of my favorite hosts out of a hand full of guns and suppressors in a variety of callers.
  • Like 1

HK USP 45 Is awfully quiet with a YHM Cobra M2 can.  I have GEMTECH clone 9mm can that I run on my HK VP9 and Beretta 92 that with 147 FMJ's are quiet.  

A Beretta 92 can be made to cycle without a booster, which is neat.  But with a booster it is exceptionally reliable, so why chance it?  I have a Remmy 700 AAC SD in 300 BLK that just clicks with a good suppressor, but I'd still rather shoot a semi.

• Like 1

A Beretta 92 can be made to cycle without a booster, which is neat.  But with a booster it is exceptionally reliable, so why chance it?  

?

I've never seen a stock Beretta 92/96 not cycle with a suppressor...booster or not. 

The barrel doesn't tilt...you don't have to do anything to the 92/96 to get them to work with a non-boostered can.

It's the reason why I went with that platform for quiet, centerfire pistol shooting.  My cans are "non-boostered."

The Beretta 92 / M9 is the only SD, centerfire handgun that I've never had a malfunction with (silenced or not).  And, I carried some rattletraps while in the military.

Edited by TN-popo

?

I've never seen a stock Beretta 92/96 not cycle with a suppressor...booster or not. 

The barrel doesn't tilt...you don't have to do anything to the 92/96 to get them to work with a non-boostered can.

It's the reason why I went with that platform for quiet, centerfire pistol shooting.  My cans are "non-boostered."

The Beretta 92 / M9 is the only SD, centerfire handgun that I've never had a malfunction with (silenced or not).  And, I carried some rattletraps while in the military.

I think its safe to say that you aren't a real operator.  All the real operators hate the pistol. Its evidenced quite clearly on the internet every time the pistol gets brought up.   You cannot operate effectively with the Beretta 90 series. 

For my 300 Blackout guns it is a tie between my 8.5" AR and my 16" Encore rifle. Either one is very quiet with ammunition that will cycle the AR. But with purpose loaded single shot ammunition I can hear the hammer drop on the Encore. I also have a Savage in 300 Blackout but it is not as fun as either the AR of Encore. I also have a Contender pistol in 300 Blackout and it is quiet as well but just not cool like the others.

For 22 pistols I have a steel 22/45 and a PacLite 22/45. I also have a Ruger SR-22 that is threaded. All are equally reliable with a suppressor but I like the all steel 22/45 the best. The reason is I added a weight to the back of the bolt. This keeps the breech closed for a split second longer making the gun a lot quieter when shooting bulk pack. The PacLite mushrooms the breech face if you shoot it much. This is the one they sent to replace the one that was unsafe in under 15K rounds.

For 22 rifles it is my home built dedicated AR in 22. It has a 3.5" barrel which means any ammunition I shoot will remain subsonic. It is a really neat package that will be getting a folding stock soon.

I have a 22 K baffle suppressor and it is really quiet. But I recently bought a thread adapter to use my 30 caliber can on my 22's and it is STUPID quiet, especially the dedicated 22 AR. It fits perfectly inside the carbine length free float tube and when firing the gun sounds like I am just racking the bolt over and over again. And even on the any of the pistols it is amazingly quiet but it is a bit big to be practical on a 22 pistol.

So the absolutely top choice god suppressed guns for me is my dedicated 22 AR with my 30 caliber suppressor in place. It makes me giggle every time I shoot it.

If someone doesn't reload but still wants to shoot a rifle caliber better of to get a 300 blackout or use subsonic cartridges for calibers they already have like 556 or 308? Would you buy another pacLite or get a steel 22/45? How hard is it to build a 3.5 22 AR that functions properly? Thanks for the link to the 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapter as well in one of the other threads. Also just a general question, will 22LR CCI standard velocity stay subsonic out of longer barrels like in a 10/22?

Edited to ask one more question. Will 22 through a 30 caliber suppressor make it excessively dirty?

Edited by swim615

?

I have had mine fail to cycle with a booster-less can on with some light loads.  With the booster it ran fine.  Having said that, with quality ammo, it is never failed to cycle without a booster.  I just figure with one, you can run whatever you like.  

I think its safe to say that you aren't a real operator.  All the real operators hate the pistol. Its evidenced quite clearly on the internet every time the pistol gets brought up.   You cannot operate effectively with the Beretta 90 series. 

You're right, I am not an operator.  But I do know how to use a telephone.  I'm even certified on Rotary.

Reminds me of something read.  IIRC in Blackhawk Down, Gary Gordon's then girlfriend / future wife always heard people refer to him as an Operator and, while they were dating, for a while she really thought that he was a telephone operator.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 2

For 22 rifles it is my home built dedicated AR in 22. It has a 3.5" barrel which means any ammunition I shoot will remain subsonic. It is a really neat package that will be getting a folding stock soon.

Did you cut and thread the barrel or buy it? Got a link if you bought it? My google foo isn't coming up with much and what about the upper? Will all or at least most 3.5in and below 22 barrels keep 22lr high velocity sub sonic?

Edited by swim615

This could be a long thread:)
22lr is the best round to suppress. You want a dedicated 22 can. The Sparrow and the Spectre II are probably the leaders. The AAC Elements are very light and quite.

Pistols that I suppress the most:
SW Model 41
Beretta 87T
Ruger Mark II Stainless
M&P 22 Compact
Browning Buckmark Whisper
All these are super high quality guns that are all the more so suppressed. I have had the Walther p22, M&P 22, ruger lite, ruger 22/45, but like the quality of the previously mentioned guns much better.

22 Rifles
Browning T-bolt whisper
M&P 15/22
Sig 522
Kimber 82G
Ruger 10/22
Kimber 82
Cooper 57M
Browning ATD 22

9mm
Sig 226
M&P
HK a USP
HK VP9

45 ACP
HK USP Tactical

223 AR rifles are quieter suppressed, but still loud.
9mm must be the 158 grain subsonic rounds
45 is by nature subsonic
22 should be either subsonic or standard velocity to avoid supersonic crack
22 high velocity will be suppressed out of really short pistols like the M&P compact

Personally, I ended up having several of my high end guns threaded. The Kimbers and Cooper rifles, the model 41, Beretta 87, and the Browning ATD are examples.
The Browning A-Bolt that I just sold would have been a great choice.
Anyway, sure I am forgetting some.
Rick

On your list of pistols you suppress the most you have a m&p 22c do you like it because you like the s&w m&p platform or because it keeps 22lr high velocity subsonic, or other reasons? (Most of the others seem to be custom threaded) Who do you use for this and what is the average cost?

I got to fire a 223 with a suppressor and no earplugs thanks to one of our great members. Seemed close to a regular 22lr rifle with hv ammo.

Ever used 147 grain 9mm? Does it stay subsonic?

Really would have liked to pick up that Browning A-Bolt you had listed but have to many irons in the fire at the moment and with all the great revolvers popping up lately I'm holding out for (the right one).

On your list of pistols you suppress the most you have a m&p 22c do you like it because you like the s&w m&p platform or because it keeps 22lr high velocity subsonic, or other reasons? (Most of the others seem to be custom threaded) Who do you use for this and what is the average cost?
Both, I like the platform and that I can run bulk pack ammo.
I most recently have used Jim Pixley with
http://jpgrips.com. Will use him again once I figure what guns I am keeping vs. what I am selling.
I got to fire a 223 with a suppressor and no earplugs thanks to one of our great members. Seemed close to a regular 22lr rifle with hv ammo.
Correct, 223 is quieter with a suppressor, but not really hearing safe.

Ever used 147 grain 9mm? Does it stay subsonic?
Yes, much better than the 115 and 125. Most of the time.

Really would have liked to pick up that Browning A-Bolt you had listed but have to many irons in the fire at the moment and with all the great revolvers popping up lately I'm holding out for (the right one).

Lol....you never know what or when that might be. I am slowly working through things. More nice 22 rifles will be up soon.

• Like 1

1050fps is supersonic at sea level. Anything above 950fps is considered trans sonic. Sub sonic will be the quietest, below 950fps.

I rented a G19 with a gem tech suppressor and they were out of subsonic ammo so I had to use standard 115gr ammo, I was less than impressed.

.45acp is naturally subsonic

In my googleing I normally see the speed of sound at 1116fps. Are you sure its 1050fps? When looking at ammo I see some that are around 1100 and wondered if they would stay subsonic?

When you rented the G19 why didn't you like it? Were you indoors or outside shooting? Was it louder than you thought it would be, or the G19 didn't function properly, or not impressed with the GemTec, or other? Have you ever heard other suppressed firearms to compare the sound to?

Lol....you never know what or when that might be. I am slowly working through things. More nice 22 rifles will be up soon.

I'm on the lookout for things with threaded barrels as well as shooter grade revolvers. Hint Hint. :popcorn:

Edited by swim615

In my googleing I normally see the speed of sound at 1116fps. Are you sure its 1050fps? When looking at ammo I see some that are around 1100 and wondered if they would stay subsonic?
When you rented the G19 why didn't you like it? Were you indoors or outside shooting? Was it louder than you thought it would be, or the G19 didn't function properly, or not impressed with the GemTec, or other? Have you ever heard other suppressed firearms to compare the sound to?

Shooting any ammo other than subsonic 147 or 158 grain through a suppressed 9mm is not hearing safe, regardless of the gun or suppressor. When shooting 9 or 45 suppressed, most of the noise is from the impact.
A 22 into a body of water sounds like a small rock, hardly noticeable.
A 9mm sounds pretty loud, like a firecracker when it hits water.
A 45 sounds like firework mortar when it hits water.
The same can be said for hitting a tree, steel, etc.

• Like 1

The speed of sound changes with temperature as well as elevation. I have ammunition that I loaded in the summer that was subsonic. That same ammunition during the winter has a supersonic crack because of the cooler temperatures. I have started loading my ammunition to below 1,000 fps to make sure it will remain subsonic in the colder weather and even then some that are at 1,000 fps might crack from time to time depending on how cold it actually is. The speed of sound you listed is at sea level and 68 degrees. But when the temperature is 25 degrees the speed of sound is 1,079 fps. And at our elevation, ~1,000 feet, you can deduct another ~ 25 fps from that number.

This is also why things seem to sound louder in the winter. Sound travels so much better in the winter.

A lot of people cannot differentiate the difference between the sonic crack and the gun shot. Even suppressed a 223 seems really loud but a lot of it is because the sonic crack is bouncing back at you. It take 15-20 feet for the sonic crack to grow enough to be noticeable. This is why suppressors help those who are cleaning buildings. The bullets never go more than 15-20 feet so the sonic crack never develops. If you really want to hear how quiet your suppressor is shoot into a tree from ~10 feet. It will be loud but no where near as loud as the sonic crack of the bullet.

And sonic cracks are the same regardless of the caliber. A supersonic 22 is going to have a sonic crack as loud as a supersonic 223. Now the 223 might sound louder but that is because it spends more time above the speed of sound.

And there is an advantage to using a suppressor against live targets, especially with supersonic ammunition. If something is facing you, you fire and miss the target thinks the gunshot comes from the direction of the sonic crack. That is if a supersonic bullet passed by the right ear, even if they are facing the shooter, the crack sounds like it comes from the right because that is where the bullet passed. Or if a target is facing 90 degrees away and you fire in front of them the sonic crack will sound like it is right in front of them. I did not believe this until I tested it. No I did not have anyone shoot at me nor did I shoot at anyone else. My wife boards her horse and horses will generally run towards a gun shot to see what it is. So I shot a suppressed gun past them and they ran towards the bullet path rather than towards me. Subsonic is great but you can still hear where the shot came from within a certain distance (depending on caliber). With supersonic ammunition the sonic crack will likely mask the noise a suppressed gun makes when firing supersonic ammunition.

Did you cut and thread the barrel or buy it? Got a link if you bought it? My google foo isn't coming up with much and what about the upper? Will all or at least most 3.5in and below 22 barrels keep 22lr high velocity sub sonic?

I bought a CMMG 16" barrel and initially chopped it to 10". I then welded a tube onto the barrel to bring it to 16"+. My suppressor slid down inside the tube and threaded onto the barrel. After my SBR paperwork came back I cut it to 4.25" and then screwed up the thread job so I cut it back again in order to thread it correctly. It is a dedicated 22lr gun so I do not mind altering some stuff if need be. I do plan on putting a folding stock on it at some point.

ALL ammunition will remain subsonic out of a 3.5" barrel. Even Stingers will remain subsonic. Stingers need barrel length to get to the velocity they claim and out of short barrels it will never get above the speed of sound. I chronographed them out of a 4.5" barrel and they would hover around 1,000 fps. But yeah, the 3.5" barrel will keep everything subsonic. I shoot a bunch of bulk pack and they are great out of that setup. And with my 30 caliber suppressor, rather than my 22 suppressor, all you hear is the action cycling and the hammer striking.

• Like 2

My threaded CZ Kadet kit is freakin' awesome.  A nail-driving accurate .22 that handles like a "real" pistol. 

My .45ACP-converted SMLE is cool because it's insanely quiet.  The first time I shot it, it was at a big range, so I had full ear-pro in.  I literally thought it had misfired, it was so quiet.  It never really ejects reliably though... it would need more work to run 100%, and I've just never got around to it.

The HK P9S is cool... because its roller-locked action lets you hand huge SMG suppressor on it and it still cycles.  Plus it's just a sweet shooting gun, magnificent trigger.

And this Beretta 21... just because with the TM Wasp, it still fits in a coat pocket.   :rock: 

006-2.jpg

• Like 1

This is also why things seem to sound louder in the winter. Sound travels so much better in the winter.

Off topic, but also the reason noises are so much louder at night.  Cooler, denser air.  An acorn falls in the woods at night and scares the shit out of you when your camping.  You never even hear it during the daytime.

I am looking for another project. I am thinking some sort of 38/357 rifle that is integrally suppressed or at least threaded for a suppressor.

I am going to be building another 22 can real soon and when I do I am going to buy this end cap just to be cool.

http://www.griffinarmament.com/Checkmate-QD-upgrade-Kit-p/gacmqdk.htm

It would be easier to buy at $70 than to build it.

Or if I do a 9mm can I will use their 3 lug for it as well.

http://www.griffinarmament.com/Revolution-9mm-3-lug-coupler-assembly-p/ga9qdk.htm

Do suppressors come loose or not fit tight? How much faster is the quick disconnect than just thread it on the barrel? What are the possibilities of a baffle strike? The quick disconntect seem very pricey and just trying to understand why they are worth the price?

Gordon, have you seen the pictures that Taylor Pickerell sometimes posts of him putting three lug adapters on pistols?  its awesome.  I've thought about doing that to my 92 and then I'd only need a booster for the g17.  All of my carbines and the 92 could share a mount system.