Lee Dies : I have a question

Ok guys , I'm now down to my seating/crimp die. I just seated a bullet and it looks good. I just cant figure out how to post a picture right yet . But anyways , How do I set the crimp ? Some say on the Lee's die to set the seating first then some say to set the crimp first . I am flustered ! And Lee's instructions are not clear for me . I need some good ole Tennessee plain english talk :pleased:

And that is why I use the FCD, much less hassle in setting it up. It seemed like my oal was more inconsistent when crimping using the seating die also.

My method, place an empty case in the shellholder, raise the ram all the way.  Screw the die in until it just touches the case.  Back out the seating adjuster, place a bullet in the case and adjust seating insert to your satisfaction.  Then screw the die in approximately 1/2 turn, more for a tighter crimp, not as much for less crimp.  I only take the flare out on 9mm ...

I do it in a similar fashion.

Since the OP has the bullet seater adjusted properly, I'd suggest this:

1) While holding the seating die body still with one hand, loosen the nut/locking ring that holds it in place.

2) Unscrew the bullet seater a few turns while holding the die body with the other hand. This will insure you won't seat the bullet any further.

3) Put the loaded round into the shellholder and raise it all the way into the die.

4) Screw the die body down until you feel resistance.

5) Lower the round from the die body, screw the die body about a quarter turn further into the press.

6) Tighten the locking ring, and again raise the loaded round fully into the die.

7) Repeat steps 5 and 6 until you've removed the belling from the case mouth. At this point, you have the crimp set properly.

8) Again, raise the loaded round all the way into the die body, and screw the bullet seater back in until you fee lt touch the bullet.

Your die should be properly set now.

It sounds way more complicated than it really is.

Where are you? I would be happy to show you in person if you're close to Lafayette.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

I do it in a similar fashion.

Since the OP has the bullet seater adjusted properly, I'd suggest this:

1) While holding the seating die body still with one hand, loosen the nut/locking ring that holds it in place.

2) Unscrew the bullet seater a few turns while holding the die body with the other hand. This will insure you won't seat the bullet any further.

3) Put the loaded round into the shellholder and raise it all the way into the die.

4) Screw the die body down until you feel resistance.

5) Lower the round from the die body, screw the die body about a quarter turn further into the press.

6) Tighten the locking ring, and again raise the loaded round fully into the die.

7) Repeat steps 5 and 6 until you've removed the belling from the case mouth. At this point, you have the crimp set properly.

8) Again, raise the loaded round all the way into the die body, and screw the bullet seater back in until you fee lt touch the bullet.

Your die should be properly set now.

It sounds way more complicated than it really is.

Where are you? I would be happy to show you in person if you're close to Lafayette.

Awesome ! I got it all done and have shot around 20 or so different loads so far. they are working and cycling the slide in my S&W Shield and my Ruger P94 ! Thanks so much guys !

• Like 1