Remington 1911

I am Groot!

I have been looking to buy a threaded 1911 and today I ran across a threaded Remington. I was shocked at how it felt in my hands. It had one of the smoothest actions in the slide I have felt in a 1911. The trigger was crisp and it felt good in the hand. I had a hard time not walking out the store with it. So the question is, am I smoking crack? Did I pick up the only good one? I have not heard much good about Remington lately, but that gun was sweet. Maybe the people that used to make 700s when they were worth a dang are making their 1911s.
I was prepared to shell out around 1200 to 1500 for a quality gun, but this is right at 900. If you own or have shot a Remington 1911 (especially the one I held) I would like to hear from you.
Thanks in advance.

0c1c81d69222178758c02c488405a285_zps16f8

It is been mostly reviews on line and I try and take that with a grain of salt. The complaints have been mainly about their newer shotguns, the 700 and it's variants. There have been a couple of people on this sight allude to problems. This is the only sight that I am a member of and I actually know people here so I wanted to get their opinion and not one of some random person on line. I also have heard people in gun shops, including the one I was in yesterday, grip about them.

Not trying to rile anyone up, I just want to hear from someone who owns one of these before I spend the kind of money on a Remington, when I could get a Kimber or Colt for close to the same amount. Before yesterday I never considered them a viable option in the 1911 category and had not done any research on them. Edited by Odessa7979
  • Like 1

The Remm 1911 R1 is a good gun,in fact it is a great gun if you hand likes it.The Rem is a series 80 and almost all new 1911s are series 80

unless it is a Dan Wesson and above $1500-???

Here is what a R1 looks and how to completely disassemble. He is Nate Schultz  hobbiest gunsmith, avid shooter, writer for The Arms Guide and overall just a great guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmX1tavmxgI

and of course how to put it back together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7N1hFUE-RA

Edited by wolverine

These were being sold for $500 (basic version) when they first came out; they are now up to about $700 because they have proven themselves. I was looking for one of these but got a deal on a SR1911 at the same time. I've owned most others and have a SW1911 now also.

If money were not the deciding factor would I take a Remington or a Ruger over an SW1911 or a Kimber? No way, but I don’t think you will hear many people bad mouth them.

Not heard anything good about Remington lately? Let me help you out. Remington is the top dog of the bolt action market with the 700; there are other good one out there, but they are so far behind Remington they can’t see the taillights. Same thing with the 870 in the pump shotgun market. Remington is moving its main operations to Huntsville; good for them and I wish them continued success. thumbsup.gif

• Administrator

If money were not the deciding factor would I take a Remington or a Ruger over an SW1911 or a Kimber? No way, but I don’t think you will hear many people bad mouth them.

Actually... I probably would.  Kimber quality isn't what most folks think it is, and the Remington is a more "true" 1911 than the SW1911 if you're into the whole internal vs. external extractor debate.  If I were in the mood for a good 1911 at a reasonable price, I'd take a hard look at the Remington.

I'd also look at the Ruger 1911s.

• Like 1
I had a Remington 1911, although it was the basic model. I'm not well versed on 1911s AT ALL. Only had a few in hand and shot even less. However I thought it was a very nice pistol especially for around the $600 price point.

I now own a Ruger SR1911CMD which is very nice also but has more modern features. I like it also.

I have never owned a Kimber and doubt I ever will, too many nicer pistols IMO at that price point.

I also detest any S&W or Sig 1911 because of the external extractor.

Actually... I probably would.  Kimber quality isn't what most folks think it is, and the Remington is a more "true" 1911 than the SW1911 if you're into the whole internal vs. external extractor debate.  If I were in the mood for a good 1911 at a reasonable price, I'd take a hard look at the Remington.

I'd also look at the Ruger 1911s.

I own a SR1911 and it is one of my favorite guns to shoot. My understanding is that 45 is my definition sub sonic and I am looking to get a suppressor. I want a dedicated suppressed firearm and I like the 1911 format. I am by no means a purist, just want a quality firearm. money is not the deciding facto, but I am not going to spend more than 1500. If Remington fits that bill I am all for it.

It is not the way God and John Moses Browning intended. And it looks like hammered sh*t.

S&W went with an external extractor because they couldn't get an internal one to be reliable enough for their standards while using the manufacturing abilities they had.

I see. Well I don’t know what God thinks about it, but JMB used both internal and external extractors in his designs; he used the internal extractor in the 1911 because of ammo issues at the time. The Browning Hi-Power was later changed to an external extractor to make it more reliable. But it’s all good; they both work.

I know what you mean about looks though; I’m a Toolmaker and the fit and finish of my SW1911 is superior to that of my SR1911. They both shoot great though.

I now own a Ruger SR1911CMD which is very nice also but has more modern features. I like it also.

I am thinking about waiting to see what Ruger comes out with next in the 1911 department. I like the new models that they have and I am sure there are more to come.

Remington is the top dog of the bolt action market with the 700; there are other good one out there, but they are so far behind Remington they can’t see the taillights. Same thing with the 870 in the pump shotgun market. Remington is moving its main operations to Huntsville; good for them and I wish them continued success. thumbsup.gif

I think savage has over taken then in quality and accuracy. Only my opinion. I do agree about the 870, but not with most of their other shot guns. I have seen on this site, several people recommend not buying a newer 870, but trying to find an older better build model. I am currently turning a newer super mag 870 into a tactical shot gun and I have no complaints with it.

The Remington 1911 lineup is about to expand.  Freedom Group owns both Remington and Para (among others) and it appears Para is being absorbed by Remington. 

" We will start seeing new Remington 1911’s but they will look more like a Para. The new Remington 1911’s will be available in various sizes from 3 and ½” barreled compacts to full size double stacked frames."

http://carolinagunrunners.net/para-pistols-to-be-discontinued-in-2015/