Is a drivers license required?

I am in the Navy and stationed here in TN.  I have a FL drivers license and don't want a TN license as I own a home in FL and I will loose the homestead exemption on my property tax if I don't maintain my FL DL.  Can I obtain a TN state ID card and use that for my carry permit?

I am in the Navy and stationed here in TN.  I have a FL drivers license and don't want a TN license as I own a home in FL and I will loose the homestead exemption on my property tax if I don't maintain my FL DL.  Can I obtain a TN state ID card and use that for my carry permit?

Check with your JAG office, but you dont change your home of record if you get a TN drivers license. And you should be able to apply for a TN permit even with a FL license. 

Check with your JAG office, but you dont change your home of record if you get a TN drivers license. And you should be able to apply for a TN permit even with a FL license. 

I'd say it's more up to TNDOS than Uncle Sam, ie, whether they consider you a TN resident or not, and dunno if being stationed here makes that so, unless maybe you change your home of record or whatever. It does seem universally true that if permanently stationed in another state, you are federally a "resident" as far as being able to purchase firearms, but again dunno if that counts as same residency requirement for a TN HCP in the eyes of the state.

There is also a clause about residents of others states who have permit from that state but who work here on a regular basis, but again dunno if military duty counts as "working here".

Call and ask about the particulars is likely best way:

Program Director, Lisa Knight
1150 Foster Avenue
Nashville, TN 37243
(615) 251-8590

Report back, if you will, would like to know the details of what they say.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

I'd say it's more up to TNDOS than Uncle Sam, ie, whether they consider you a TN resident or not, and dunno if being stationed here makes that so, unless maybe you change your home of record or whatever. It does seem universally true that if permanently stationed in another state, you are federally a "resident" as far as being able to purchase firearms, but again dunno if that counts as same residency requirement for a TN HCP in the eyes of the state.

There is also a clause about residents of others states who have permit from that state but who work here on a regular basis, but again dunno if military duty counts as "working here".

Call and ask about the particulars is likely best way:

Program Director, Lisa Knight
1150 Foster Avenue
Nashville, TN 37243
(615) 251-8590

Report back, if you will, would like to know the details of what they say.

- OS

No, military members retain their residency from wherever they have their home of record but the JAG part was for losing his FL privileges; for the permit part Lisa would be a good call.  Military members pay state taxes (if any)from wherever their home state is and can retain their drivers license from their home state and many states will extend their expiration dates almost indefinitely.  They CAN get a license from the state that they are based at and are considered residents for most state things like gun permits, college tuition and vehicle registration.  The state can't force them to change their license but some do have things like that two things must match, drivers license, car plates and insurance.  I have almost always got a drivers license from where I was stationed so it did not apply to me, but many of my guys had permits and some had out of state drivers licenses.

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

When I was in AZ I got an AZ ID card even though I had a TN driver's license but it didn't double as a HC permit.

No, military members retain their residency from wherever they have their home of record but the JAG part was for losing his FL privileges; for the permit part Lisa would be a good call.  Military members pay state taxes (if any)from wherever their home state is and can retain their drivers license from their home state and many states will extend their expiration dates almost indefinitely.  They CAN get a license from the state that they are based at and are considered residents for most state things like gun permits, college tuition and vehicle registration.  The state can't force them to change their license but some do have things like that two things must match, drivers license, car plates and insurance.  I have almost always got a drivers license from where I was stationed so it did not apply to me, but many of my guys had permits and some had out of state drivers licenses.

Knew most of that, but wasn't sure about carry permits.

My comment about having "dual" residency was only in relation to acquiring guns under federal law. IOW, a guy whose home of record is in FL but stationed in TN can buy handguns from FFL in either state, or legally buy guns in personal sales from residents of either state.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

First, the recommendation to contact Lisa Knight at the DOS in Nashville is sound.

Second, I don't believe the fact that, since you are active duty military, as a legal resident of Florida you would be denied a Tennessee HCP.  The only problem I see is that if you try to submit your application online the system may kick the application out as it will not recognize your FL driver's license number.  I'd go ahead and try and see what the website does.  If it does reject your application, you should be able to complete the required training class, get your certificate and submit a paper application at the driver's license office.  The agents at the office should be able to override the system's rejection and begin processing your application.  Any State certified school can provide a manually processed training certificate.

Again, call the folks at the Nashville Handgun Office first and see what they say.

I have never come across this particular issue before, but I am retired Navy and a TN Handgun Instructor, so I have some experience with similar issues.

Why not just get a Florida permit? Tennessee recognizes Florida permits. Seems like it would be easier. If I am not mistaken it can all be done online. Also, if I remember correctly there have been several people who could not get Tennessee permits who were granted a permit through Florida because Florida doesn't have a residency requirement.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License/Eligibility-Requirements

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just get a Florida permit? Tennessee recognizes Florida permits. Seems like it would be easier. If I am not mistaken it can all be done online. Also, if I remember correctly there have been several people who could not get Tennessee permits who were granted a permit through Florida because Florida doesn't have a residency requirement.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License/Eligibility-Requirements

That's what I was thinking, seems easier to just get a FL permit.

Edited by Rhodewarrior