anyone heard about this

Guest Dusty83

Sounds like constitutional carry to me. I don't think it would pass seeing as the state would no longer get to collect money from permit holders. Plus no one needs to be running around with a gun without training, my 8 hour HCP class basically gave me the skills of a highly trained operator.
  • Like 4
Guest Dusty83

same boat here, too many people with zero common sense and logic that also think they know it all running around now a days. with my luck some "do gooder" with out training would whoop out his gat to shoot an armed robber only to shot me in the back of the head or even worse hit me in the spine and make a "head on a stick" because he cant aim, or used FMJ's and had a pass through and hit me or a loved one. it would be nice if the price was lower at the DMV though.

same boat here, too many people with zero common sense and logic that also think they know it all running around now a days. with my luck some "do gooder" with out training would whoop out his gat to shoot an armed robber only to shot me in the back of the head or even worse hit me in the spine and make a "head on a stick" because he cant aim, or used FMJ's and had a pass through and hit me or a loved one. it would be nice if the price was lower at the DMV though.

And you really think that 8 hour class and $115 is going to stop any of that?

• Like 2

seams to be, i dont hear of any retards waving guns around because of road rage or something moronic. you dont think its working?

I think it works at least as well as a gun buster sign works at keeping bank robbers out of banks.

• Like 2
I don't think it would hurt anyone. Just keep the permit in place as is for travel reasons to keep the reciprocal states happy. You don't think there are idiots running around out there with guns right now. That is a bet.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly how many people fail the HCP class?  I'll give you a hint, way less than 1%.  So what does it mean when 99+% of the class passes, that nothing is being taught that matters.

The HCP class is nothing but corporate welfare for ranges and instructors.  We're surrounded by states that allow unlicensed open carry and none of those states seem to be having problems with it, what makes TN so special we need a license to openly carry a gun?

• Like 1
Guest Dusty83

Exactly how many people fail the HCP class?  I'll give you a hint, way less than 1%.  So what does it mean when 99+% of the class passes, that nothing is being taught that matters.

The HCP class is nothing but corporate welfare for ranges and instructors.  We're surrounded by states that allow unlicensed open carry and none of those states seem to be having problems with it, what makes TN so special we need a license to openly carry a gun?

here is the bio of the instructor i used.

Ronnie Dodd is a 24-year veteran of law enforcement with a wide-ranging background in 
training and operations and extensive experience in the tactical application of firearms. 
He has taught police tactics at the Kosovo Police Service School in Vuchtri, Kosovo and 
at Skopje, Macedonia, where he trained officers for the Macedonian National Police. Mr. 
Dodd was Head of Operational Policing for The Jordan International Police Training 
Center for the new Iraqi Police Service from its inception until April 05. 
Ronnie Dodd is nationally ranked in pistol competition and travels all over the United 
States teaching firearms techniques. He is an instructor certified to teach by the State of 
Tennessee, F.B.I., Heckler & Koch, U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, N.R.A., Orange 
County (FL) SWAT, Dept. of Justice -International Criminal Investigative Training 
Assistance Program and Organization Security Co-Operation of Europe (OSCE). He has 
served as an instructor for several nationally known training facilities and is currently 
working with Bill Rogers at Rogers Shooting School. He is a graduate of many 
specialized training programs, including but not limited to Gunsite, Bill Rogers Shooting 
School, Blackwater Training Center, Heckler & Koch, and the FBI Special Weapons 
Course. 
He is currently Operations Manager for Rogers Shooting School, and their lead
Instructor, as well as owner operator of Dodd & Associates located in Sale Creek, TN

ya think hes taught people anything?

went about 80 miles round trip out of my way to pay more for his class than if i had just gone to carters or shooters depot.

handgun safety course instructor this is the kind of person that does not need to be teaching HSC.

I'm not saying there aren't good firearms instructors out there...  and that getting firearms training isn't a good idea.

Only that the current system is corporate welfare for ranges and instructors, and does little or nothing to make TN safer.  I'm all for keeping the current system in place for those who want a permit to carry out of state.... but we should completely do away with the requirement to get a permit to carry if you can legal own the firearm.

here is the bio of the instructor i used.

Ronnie Dodd is a 24-year veteran of law enforcement with a wide-ranging background in 
training and operations and extensive experience in the tactical application of firearms. 
He has taught police tactics at the Kosovo Police Service School in Vuchtri, Kosovo and 
at Skopje, Macedonia, where he trained officers for the Macedonian National Police. Mr. 
Dodd was Head of Operational Policing for The Jordan International Police Training 
Center for the new Iraqi Police Service from its inception until April 05. 
Ronnie Dodd is nationally ranked in pistol competition and travels all over the United 
States teaching firearms techniques. He is an instructor certified to teach by the State of 
Tennessee, F.B.I., Heckler & Koch, U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, N.R.A., Orange 
County (FL) SWAT, Dept. of Justice -International Criminal Investigative Training 
Assistance Program and Organization Security Co-Operation of Europe (OSCE). He has 
served as an instructor for several nationally known training facilities and is currently 
working with Bill Rogers at Rogers Shooting School. He is a graduate of many 
specialized training programs, including but not limited to Gunsite, Bill Rogers Shooting 
School, Blackwater Training Center, Heckler & Koch, and the FBI Special Weapons 
Course. 
He is currently Operations Manager for Rogers Shooting School, and their lead
Instructor, as well as owner operator of Dodd & Associates located in Sale Creek, TN

ya think hes taught people anything?

went about 80 miles round trip out of my way to pay more for his class than if i had just gone to carters or shooters depot.

handgun safety course instructor this is the kind of person that does not need to be teaching HSC.

• Like 1

seams to be, i dont hear of any retards waving guns around because of road rage or something moronic. you dont think its working?

Hate to sound off rude but let me ask you this.... How old is the ink on your HCP ??? This is the usual mentality of freshly minted permit holders thinking that no one should be allowed to carry until they have been trained..... But wait how many states allow for open carry without a permit? How many states allow for both open and/or concealed carry with no permit? Do these states have that many retards waving guns and doing moronic and stupid stuff? NOPE

Now more power to ya for getting quality training; that is something I can respect you for. But when you wish to curtail my rights to protect myself and family I will state "No sir mind your own busness"....

Edited by teecro
  • Like 1
The permit class is a joke. There was a woman in my class that had failed the range test once before. She was a horrible shot and I would fear for my life if I were in a situation where she decided to defend herself and others with me around.

The instructor was nice and informative. He urged everyone to continue training but the majority of them probably went out and bought a nylon holster and called it a day.

At the risk of sounding like I'm rooting for the other team, it would definitely make me more comfortable if I knew that more training was involved in getting an HCP.. Or at least stricter range qualification.
  • Like 1
It's kind of a double edged sword to me. On one hand the government should have absolutely no say in whether or not I can carry a gun or be able to make me do something I order to have the privilege to. But on the other hand it seems to me that a lot of people nowadays lack the mental capacity to acknowledge they are carrying a deadly weapon that could hurt not only them or the bad guys but also innocent bystanders. And as such, they should seek out training in how to use their weapon. But like in so many other aspects of life, some people are so stupid/ignorant/stubborn, that everyone has to be regulated into doing what is right. There would be no rules/laws if everyone just did what was right.
  • Like 2

New Hampshir and Arizona both have CC carry and how many people have been shot in the back of the head because someone carried that didn't know how to shot and killed someone.  Lets see there was questionable shot in Florida and it made national headlines for weeks.  A case like that would be talked about for years upon years in the media yet I haven't even seen a blip on something like that.  In theory I could get hit in the head with a toilet seat falling from a space station but I don't think it will happen to anyone in the near future.

Thanks

Robert

It's kind of a double edged sword to me. On one hand the government should have absolutely no say in whether or not I can carry a gun or be able to make me do something I order to have the privilege to. But on the other hand it seems to me that a lot of people nowadays lack the mental capacity to acknowledge they are carrying a deadly weapon that could hurt not only them or the bad guys but also innocent bystanders. And as such, they should seek out training in how to use their weapon. But like in so many other aspects of life, some people are so stupid/ignorant/stubborn, that everyone has to be regulated into doing what is right. There would be no rules/laws if everyone just did what was right.

The fact is the people who need the training most are likely the people who will find the cheapest course offered that meets the requires.  The fact is people who are most likely to take the full blown course would have taken the full blown course required or not.  When I decided that firing a gun looked like fun watching some TV show the first thing I did was sign up for an optional course to make sure I didn't shot myself in the foot or someone else.  Was I required to no.  Did I take a course yes.  I think those required course if anything have the opposite effect when I got my Utah out of state permit I attended a basic class that covered just what had to be covered.  What It covered things like were you couldn't carry and that you should check the local laws of your state.  A lot of "common sense stuff".  The only interesting stuff was about carrying but that was done after getting all the state wide stuff done and there was still some time left before the min hours were meet.  Did that class really make anyone safer when they are caring not really.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle
  • Like 1

New Hampshir and Arizona both have CC carry .....

Vermont. Also Alaska. Wyoming too, but for residents only.

Now Arkansas seems to, but not completely clear there apparently?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

That would be just my luck if it passes.  I spent $200, sat at a class for 8 hours, the dmv for an hour and had to give my fingerprints to the TBI.... ;)

Well, permit still needed for other states. Of the 4 or 5 that now have full constitutional carry, only VT does not also issue an optional permit and I'd assume that TN would continue to do so.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Darthlaidher
Why wouldnt it pass, the state allows people to have loaded firearms in their car, essenially allowing people to take their gun where ever they please (with exceptions such as carrying,school zones ect). Wouldnt an "untrained" person do a great deal of harm with having a gun in the car. The way I see if it is. They might as well pass ot because people take their firearms where ever they want in their car now any way, plus im all about the restration of the 2A. And its obivous that untrained criminals carry now anyway.

Apparently it failed.. Edited by Darthlaidher

Vermont. Also Alaska. Wyoming too, but for residents only.

Now Arkansas seems to, but not completely clear there apparently?

- OS

New Hampshir and Arizona has had CC longer then any of the other states you listed.  Although there have been several that have virtually no requirements others then a few buckets and a form with the state and the number of bad shoots is so low the anti media has only found 1 case to talk about and the guy was found not guilty.

Thanks

Robert

New Hampshir and Arizona has had CC longer then any of the other states you listed. 

My point was, and again, is, that New Hampshire does not have total Constitutional Carry like the other states you mentioned. I corrected your previous comment to Vermont, assuming that was the one you really meant. But apparently not, since you've said it again.

A permit is required to conceal carry in New Hampshire. And indeed, due to various restrictions, NH is not even classed as a "gold star" open carry state by OpenCarry.org either.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 2 weeks later...
I don't see the current HCP process as anything more or less than a formality. It's to create a bit of inconvenience, and limit those who carry to those people actually willing to put forth some time, cash and effort to obtain an HCP. With it, you have fundamentally untrained people able to carry loaded firearms. But without it, you'd have that and a MUCH higher rate of emotionally impulsive morons who shouldn't be making deadly force decisions carrying as well. Better to have a process that dissuades those who haven't thought through (or can't) the responsibility that comes with carrying.

I don't see the current HCP process as anything more or less than a formality. It's to create a bit of inconvenience, and limit those who carry to those people actually willing to put forth some time, cash and effort to obtain an HCP. With it, you have fundamentally untrained people able to carry loaded firearms. But without it, you'd have that and a MUCH higher rate of emotionally impulsive morons who shouldn't be making deadly force decisions carrying as well. Better to have a process that dissuades those who haven't thought through (or can't) the responsibility that comes with carrying.

And exactly how does not having an HCP dissuade one from carrying in the first place?

And exactly how does not having an HCP dissuade one from carrying in the first place?

I think it's in the same vein as "locks keep the honest people out". An adage which has more than just a kernel of truth.

- OS