Gun Safe Moved!

runco

Wife and I bought a new place 6+ weeks ago.  Was fortunate enough that we did not have to sell our other place, but we decided to rent it.  Been moving stuff and more stuff for weeks, and the gun safe was the last item to move. This was yesterday to move the last item!  Its a 60"x40"x30" type heavy heavy safe.  She and I actually moved it the first time maybe 14-15 years ago.  This time, she called my brother to take her place.  All I can say is moving the safe was tough, no issues, but I am sore just tugging and pulling.

We used PVC pipe and used an enclosed trailer that had a loading ramp.  Thankfully no steps anywhere, but had a door threshold that had about 2-3" drop, but used a 2" diameter PVC for that.  Was able to transport the safe in an enclosed trailer with heavy duty straps.  Then had two thresholds at the new house with sliding glass doors to go through.  Had to use wood and planking around the runners of the glass doors to avoid damage. 

Safe is now in place on concrete, and finished up anchoring the safe using 3/4" diameter wedge anchors late last night that I found at Home Depot.  Thankfully had a hammer drill, piece of cake to drill 4-6" deep into the concrete. 

Conclusion, my kids can move the safe next.  And if I buy another, which I do need one, I will gladly pay for the installation!  Feels good to have the guns back in the safe location! 

• Like 3

I went through it about 2 weeks ago.  About the same sized safe.  Unfortunately I only moved it to it's temporary home.  Thing is I bought the safe in 2011 and have moved it 4 times already including the initial move in.  Life keeps happening, which requires me to keep moving.  Of course the safe is always the most dreaded thing to move.  

I feel your pain. I was in the market for a safe a while back, but after being unable to find someone to move it for me I ended up getting a Stack-On 10 gun cabinet. Here's the one I got... https://www.stack-on.com/categories/security-cabinets-gun-cabinets/products/64 It's not "safe" quality, but we're renting at the moment & are planning on moving within the next couple years & didn't want the hassle of trying to hire someone to move a 600+ lb safe in & then right back out. I'll buy a quality safe when we move into something more permanent, but am really happy with the cabinet. I mainly wanted something to keep my handguns & gear out of the hands of my two young sons so it's perfect.

Appliance dolly and pieces of cardboard work wonders.  If you have wood floors to cross give them a squirt of Pledge set the safe on the cardboard and they will glide across the floor.  I couple of good sized buddies work wonders too.

You're very lucky. We sold our house and will close April 30th. We signed a contract on a new house that is under construction but won't be ready till mid June. Having to put most in storage and stay with her mom for about 6 weeks till we can move in to the new house

We used a tilt trailer and pallet jack to move the big on into the basement. It's still on the pallet but you'd have to knock down a block wall to get it out now.

For the upstairs safe I used a dolly....and warped the devil out of it in the process along with one corner of base board. I still get "the look" over that baseboard.

Mines in a tool closet in my garage. I drove it in with a bobcat, unbolted it from the pallet which was even with the small step up into the room. Then slid it 4' on the concrete to its new home. It couldn't have been easier.

That was after my neighbor drove the bobcat down the road to TSC and picked it up off the loading dock and drove it back to my house....I highly recommend getting a nextdoor neighbor with a bobcat :)

Spent $350 on the Safe House in Nashville to move my safe last spring .... Its one of the biggies ~ 1,600 lbs or so ...

best ... $350 ... ever ... spent

I originally bought my safe from them a couple years prior!  Great guys!