Do I need a threaded 7.62x39 bolt action Savage

graycrait

I'm sort of bored with all the usual suspects and don't care about shooting much beyond 200 yards.   Due to concussions or something I can't deal with a lot of recoil.  A fella suggested I get a 7.62x39 bolt gun (I've had AKs, Mak 90s and SKS - ain't going there again just because).  I started reading about reloading data on the 7.62x39 and saw that SP bullets up to 154 can be used, don't know how light one can go. 

Anyway a fella suggested a trade for a 7.62x39 bolt gun and although I am intrigued.  I'm not sure (because I don't know enough) if I should go this route.  

Also, how fast could I change the barrel and bolt head to 5.56?  I would imagine the barrel and bolt head combined would be 200.00 or so? If I am wrong tell me.  But I'm not sure on the cost of the tools to do this.  I'm thinking the wrench and a barrel block/vise, plus go/no go gauges.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm.......?  This is almost intriguing enough to make me want to bite on the trade.  

Why can't I just take oak blocks and drill appropriate sized holes to clamp the barrel in a vise and then turn the bolt nut using a savage nut wrench?

There are no competent gunsmiths in the Clarksville area, least ways none that I know of.

I suspect I may never need to change calibers but being able to switch from 7.72x39 to 5.56 satisfies my inner being somewhat.

Hmmmmm.......?  This is almost intriguing enough to make me want to bite on the trade.  

Why can't I just take oak blocks and drill appropriate sized holes to clamp the barrel in a vise and then turn the bolt nut using a savage nut wrench?

There are no competent gunsmiths in the Clarksville area, least ways none that I know of.

I suspect I may never need to change calibers but being able to switch from 7.72x39 to 5.56 satisfies my inner being somewhat.

I just did a rebarrel and it was a little bit of a pain getting the nut off.  I tried the wood block method and it just would not work.  I ended up buying an action wrench on sale.  Mine had a smooth nut and it would not come off even using an action wrench and smooth barrel nut wrench.  I had to use a pipe wrench and destroyed the factory smooth nut.  I replaced it with the older style notched nut so that won't happen again.  I suggest you consider doing the same.

An inexpensive bolt action 7.62x39 isn't a bad ideal and FWIW I've been casually keeping an eye out for one but not been in any hurry. As to exchanging barrels, well no, if it were an H&R Handy Rifle then maybe so but with a bolt gun I'd just go with two rifles. One of my regrets was not having either the practical experience level and foresight to have snagged a Remington 788 in 30-30 as it a cast bullet shooter/reloaders delight. In many ways I view the Savage set  up in 7.62x39 as potentially versatile.