New Savage lineup in 338 Federal

MacGyver

• Admin Team
Kind of. Though, if I'm being honest I've got a soft spot for your favorite .358 Winchester, too.

I figure if I'm shooting subsonic and limited to 1040ish FPS, then I may as well make the biggest hole I can.
  • Like 1

I've got my .358 dialed in pretty good with one load.  230g Cast with about a 75% meplat running 1825fps.  My Nikon is zeroed dead on at 50 and the first circle below the cross hairs is dead on at 100.  It's sweet.  

I have a about 100 rounds more to go before I call this load "Set in Stone" then I'm moving to a 200g Lyman RN I will cast out of some pretty soft stuff and run just below 1050fps for some good 25-50 yard Thumpin'.   [That's a technical term btw]

It's just a lowly little Handi Rifle, but I am right tickled with it.

IMG_0177_zps855d3394.jpg

If I weren't into the .358 Winchester, the .338 Federal would be the first to fill the void.  Awesome cartridge.  

Edited by Caster

Good question.  It was a loaner from a friend in Michigan.  BUT, the design IS on file with Tom at Accurate molds and he can cut you one.  The original was called the .35 Thor.  I don't recall the manufacturer that made the original ones.  I borrowed it and cast about 3K.  For a single shot, It'll last a while.  

I'd love to put that stock on a 300BLK Handi-rifle. It would be bucking a trend is live to see start moving in the other direction. Call it less tactical - more cool.

OR...if you wanna buck a trend and get this thread back on track....

I have a .308 Survivor Handi rifle.  I could send it to Jess at JES Reboring.  He can rebore a 308 chambered barrel to 338 [or 358 for that matter] for $225 returned.  HOW he does it for that price is beyond me.  I've seen his work, his rifling is AWESOME and his rebored rifles shoot extremely well.  You don't even have to remove the action on most guns.....but I digress.  Rebore the 308 to 338 and add another Boyd's stock like this.  In a world of tacticool tacticrap, it would be a north bound train on a south bound track.

• Like 1

Or is it some really long extruded powder in the black cup?

Yeah, that's IMR3031. This load is 35.0g of it under that bullet.
I use the little cup and Lee dipper to weigh out each charge on my scale. It will NOT meter through a Lyman55.