eating rabbits

none

Slow braised is the ONLY way to go with any jackrabbit.
I've had my share of Texas Jacks & they seem to be built out of fencing wire & rawhide strips.

We ended up cooking it on the grill. Wasn't too bad. But j think a slower cooking method as suggested would be better. Funny I have not noted any more rabbits in our garden.

Talking about rabbits like this, you guys sure stir up some good memories. Some of my best weekends of my life were spent rabbit hunting on Saturdays and cooking/eating the ones we didn't freeze the day before after dressing them. Good times!

You have that right. For fathers day my son and I are going to send some lead down range. A brick of 22's about $15.00 experience priceless.
Speaking of overly sized rabbits, I was in Vegas a few years ago and they had herds of jack rabbits on the golf couses. Couldn't believe the size and number. Felt like a kid using the golf cart to chase them around.

Them rounds must be close to antiques. You couldn't get a brick of .22 for 15 clams good long while even before Sandy Hook.

- OS

About 4 years old. A store called Meijers regularly had them at that price. I would always pick up a brick or two each week.

Looking back glad I stocked up

They carry scarlet fever this time of year as well,....

Wow, that one doesn't even achieve old wives tale status.  But you can use stump water and a dead cat to cure warts.  ;)

Tularemia is an extremely remote possibility, but almost all of it is transmitted by flies, ticks, or water. Also has now been found in wild hogs.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Wow. You use stump water and a dead cat to cure warts too? ;)

Tularemia is an extremely remote possibility, but almost all of it is transmitted by flies, ticks, or water. Also has now been found in wild hogs.

- OS

OS beat me to it but this time of year most all rabbits have the Tularemia germs in their blood stream. You cannot tell it to easy which ones have it and which ones don't. The ones that have it will die off quickly after first couple frosty nights. I grew up hunting rabbits but never hunted or ate any till after first couple frosts. When the cold nights hit you can tell any sick ones that may have survived because they won't run from you when you walk up on them and most cases the dogs will kill them if you don't shoot it. Me and my buddy would shoot sick ones and hang them in trees for predator birds to feed on. If they won't run from you or your beagles you don't want to eat them. My buddy and I would kill 300+ rabbits every season when we were growing up. My mother could make some really fine meals out of rabbits I brought home. My favorite was Hasenfeffer (German Rabbit Stew) and Rabbit and dumplings. I thin I ate rabbit about every way it could be cooked and never found a dish of it I didn't like........... :up: :up: