gadgets to hold your keys

BigK

I saw an article this morning on The Firearm Blog about a device called a Grip-Key for holding your keys. It's kind of cool, especially since it has a belt clip and you can customize the kydex colors and add logos. However, they are not cheap ($25-35). It reminded me of some similar devices for sale a few years ago, but not made out of kydex, Since I'm a cheapskate and like tinkering anyway, I made my own. This article got me thinking, I've been carrying these for around a year or 2 like this and don't recall having posted about it yet. Here's some pics:

20150620_091721.jpg

20150620_091809.jpg

The green one is made from a [url="http://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-mni-star-tamper-proof-key-set-97469.html"]torx bit set I picked up at Harbor Freight[/url] for around $5. I just took the screws out, removed the torx bits, retained the plastic spacers to put between the keys, and stacked them on each end in the order I wanted.

The black one is made from some scrap kydex I had leftover from a holster. I just molded it around the fob of my truck key, cut out a hole to push it open, added some chicago screws of varying length to hold keys to my toolbox and a small storage box and drilled a hole for a keyring.

Neither is much help for reducing bulk in your pocket but I never put my keys in my pockets anyway, but I like the way it keeps them from jingling.

• Like 2

Here I was thinking I was all high-speed for having a piece of 550' cord clove hitched onto a keyring and a micro lock s-biner for my car lock remote.

I just got one of those micro lock s-biners...they are awesome!

I went 'old school' when I made this one a few years ago,  To give an idea of how long that has been, the leather thongs in the brade and the piece of leather i cut for the end were all 'natural vegetable tanned leather' color when I made it and I didn't apply any coloring, etc.  The color all came from use - I like that.  I made and started using it because I don't like all those keys in my pocket (that is my bigger ring with keys to my Mustang, Mustang key fob and truck key plus keys to the doors at work and home) so I bought that metal belt clip to carry them on my belt.  Problem was that I wasn't sure the belt clip was all that secure so I added the 'lanyard' just in case.  Lately, though, I have been thinking about 'updating' it with something using paracord, etc.

IMG_20150623_115320.jpg