Bore Laser Sighting in

willis68

I am changing some things on my Tavor and adding a different rail that is elevated, I have an Eotech EXP3 on it if I order a bore laser, one that chambers like a bullet aim it 100 yards away at a target and dial my Eotech in to match up to it exactly, will that properly sight it in?

No.

It will get you close, but it won't do 100% of the work for you.  

Lasers shoot in a straight line.  Bullets are subject to gravity and aerodynamics and other things.  

You can get a casual bore-sighting for free @ academy, for one place.  Might be other places too.  Theirs is not at range, they use a special "target" at short range but it gets you on pie-plate at 100, maybe 200 yards.    The type you are talking about gets you within an inch or two usually.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

Not much to add except that I got one of the ones from Walmart.  The kind that goes in the muzzle, it fits from .17 to 12 guage with the rubber adapters.  I used it for all my rifles to get me on paper, then with the lead sled zeroed within 4 rounds or so.  If you used it a few times, its well worth the price.  I looked at the ones that are like a shell which you chamber, but they are caliber specific so I would need multiples for the ones I have used the Walmart one on so far.

• Like 1

Point the rifle at a mirror, look through the site and put the "spot", "cross hairs" or what ever is seen in the scope on the end of the muzzle as seen in the mirror.

O yea, barrel is parallel to the floor.

It will be close at 50yrds or so, you know what to do next.

• Like 1

Point the rifle at a mirror, look through the site and put the "spot", "cross hairs" or what ever is seen in the scope on the end of the muzzle as seen in the mirror.

You are the first person I've ever heard describe doing a rough zero like that.

Does angle play any part in this method?  I would think it would throw it off if you are not directly in line with the mirror.  I guess it would be close enough to get on paper, just like the old school method I used on my bolt actions before I got my laser.  I would lock my rifle in a gun vise, remove the bolt and look down the bore and adjust it so the bull (or any distinct object at 100 yards) was in the sight picture, then just move the cross hairs to the bull.