New to this site, but not really a newbie

I am new to this site and wanted to introduce myself.  I am a lifelong Middle Tennessean.  I recently re applied for my permit after letting it lapse for 1 1/2 years.  Had to retake the class, go to DMV, and get fingerprinted after carrying a weapon everywhere I went for 15 years!  i would love to report that I learned a ton at the class, but alas--I didn't.  I did score 100% on the written test and 99% on the shooting portion (indoor range, "someone opened a door and the paper moved"--is my official excuse.  Real reason--i yanked the trigger.)  In case anyone is wondering the time frames involved--July 12th was the date of the course.  Info was transmitted to the state before I got home (I know this because of the state "dashboard" on the website).  July 17th--went to DMV for photo and to pay $$. (dashboard updated before I got to the car).  Fingerprinted the same day, 30 min after I left the DMV.  No dashboard updates after the DMV updated on July 17th.  Letter dated July 22 arrived on July 31st stating that my fingerprints had been rejected.  The case # that they gave me to enter on the website to reschedule fingerprinting did not work.  Since this was Friday after 5, I had to wait till monday (August 3) to call to schedule.  Monday at 7 am central, 8 am eastern time, I called as instructed on the letter..  Voicemail said they did not open until 8 am CENTRAL which is not what the letter from the state or the companies own website said.  called back 8 am central.  Put on hold till 8:26.  Got the lady on the phone who quickly took down my  number and said "sometimes the state takes a while to update our system."  It had been 12 days since the date on the fingerprint denial letter..  Scheduled for an appointment on the same day at 1:45.  Was told that I HAD to go back to the exact same location that I had the prints the first time, which was not convenient for me since I had picked that place because it was on my  way home from the DMV the first time, but ok since it was same day.  Went back at 1:00 pm hoping to finish early.  Finished in about 10 min.  Interestingly, the same "girl" (quite young) fingerprinted me again.  She did it very rapidly and told me that she was not concerned with quality this time, because they will just run the background check "based on my social security number" this time if they deny my fingerprints.  I noticed that the computer said "poor quality" after each individual fingerprint.  She said she did not care.  Finished about 1:10.  Went back and started checking the computer "dashboard".  Still no updates, at all, since July 17th DMV update.  Dashboard has not changed since I walked out of the DMV.  On August 7 the website finally changed to "Permit Approved".  Today is August 9.  I am guessing the permit will come in the mail on August  14 th ish.  WiIl update when it does.  Sorry for how long this was, I just figured there would be some wondering about the timeframes involved and a few interested in the second fingerprinting conversation.

Edited by ma6907
  • Like 2

Update--Sat August 15, still no permit.  I was really hoping it would come in the mail today.  Maybe Monday.  I did everything I could including set up my appointment for my (first) fingerprinting from my laptop in the parking lot of the DOT drivers license center.  Still probably going to get it in just over a month from the date of my course, July 12th, but was somehow hoping I could be one of those guys that got it in 8 days like I read about sometimes.  Guess not.

officially applied at the DMV July 17 and got permit August 17.  Not really THAT bad.  Subtract the oops of the fingerprinting not working and I suspect I would have been approved and permitted when the 1st fingerprint denial letter arrived July 31.

Welcome to TGO.

I recently realized that permit had expired, and I was unintentionally illegally carrying. Either way, went to the DMV the next morning, which was July 28. I had my replacement in the mail by August 7. I was impressed.
  • Like 1