debit card skimming last labor day weekend

patrick28

Just found out I was a victim of a debit card skimmer. They got 600$ before my card shut off,
Heads up if you used the atm at the usaa bank off ft. Campbell blvd.
The skimmer unloads funds in Nashville
The atm I used was the drive thru one
I never use my atm card and only did while my family was out yardsale hunting last Sunday, this is how I know where they hit.

We opened up a 2nd checking account at our bank just to use with a debit card. Whenever we want to buy something online, we'll transfer the money into the 2nd account and then use that to pay. If the card gets hacked, they'll only get what few dollars remain in the account.

I also got one of those Google Wallet cards. From the app on my phone I can easily transfer money from my main account into the Google account and I can pay using either use my phone or the debit card they sent me. I got it because we have done the Dave Ramsey method of only using cash to pay for daily items. Paying for gas is such a pain when using cash. You have to go in, wait in line behind the guy getting lotto tickets (who can't make up his mind which of the 586 different scratch off's he wants), pay more than you think you need so you can get a complete fill up, pump the gas, then go back in to get your change, but first you have to wait in line again. With the Google card, I just transfer my week's worth of "allowance" into the card and use that at the pump to pay. My phone keeps up with the balance almost immediately, so I know how much money I have on hand at any time.

Again, with the google card, I usually don't have more than $100 loaded in it at any time, but usually way less. If it gets hacked, that's all they get.

With the Google card, there is only one card issued per Google account, so only I can use it. With the 2nd bank account, I have multiple (me and my wife) debit cards from the same account. The problem we have hit with the 2nd account is not coordinating with each other when buying stuff, and the account gets nearly overdrawn.

And using an ATM is just a bad idea in general. Plan ahead, and get money out at the bank ahead of time. My wife has a routine of going to the bank every other Friday to get out the money we will use for the next two weeks for groceries, dining out, gas, pocket cash, etc. If the money is gone before the two weeks is up, we just do without. It's a self discipline that we have imposed upon ourselves. Funny how you only do without once or twice before you start to plan a little better.

We opened up a 2nd checking account at our bank just to use with a debit card. ...

Cure for all that mess is a simple credit card. Not only is it free, and they'll even pay you to use it. I get couple hundred bucks kickback a year, and used to get a lot more when I used it for work. And perfectly safe, not responsible for one dime if hacked.

Credit cards are da bomb .. as long as you don't use them as a loan. :)

- OS

• Like 5
That's what I do "oh shoot", actually I never use my debit card
The one time I need cash out the atm that happens, I always use PayPal & or credit cards
I use my debit card once a month maybe 2 times.
They cleaned me out until the bank stopped them only got away with 600$ but left me in the negative 600$ since I had several payments going out.
The guy is lucky he didn't rob me in person, he'd be taking a dirt nap.