Talking to me about Progressive Presses

Excellent choice comms. :up:

I've been handloading on a 550 since the late 1980's. Dillon's customer service is nothing short of remarkable.

I have no idea how many rounds of 9mm and 45acp I've loaded on it...but it's a significant amount (14 K just last year). I've worn out parts and Dillon has replaced them for free, and quickly. I did have "refinished" last year...minimal charge and it looks and runs like a brand new 550.

I do have an old single stage Lee I loaded on for a few years before the Dillon, and still use that old sucker frequently, especially for rifle rounds.

I keep saying I'll but a new press one day...but I can't seem to actually wear these out enough to justify the money for such. :pleased:

The more I read on the SDB the more I like it. It auto indexes, the quick change kits are cheaper, and it does not have that annoying powder check station.

Ill just have to get into a rythmn for feed brass and bullets - but the powder fill automation will save me a ton of time.

Hope it doesnt destroy these coated SWC bullets I ordered.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Congrats on the SDB. You made a good choise. As long as you do your part in set up you should have no troubles loading any pistol cal and boolit type.

Be safe, don't rush and you uninterrupted feel fer loading on it will come quickly.

Mike
  • 2 weeks later...

With a price range of $600 for 2-3 calibers, you are going to have a hard time going blue, but I highly recommend buying the XL650 in 1 caliber and saving for each additional caliber.  I have had LNL AP and the 650, friends with the 550, Rock Chucker and Lees.  The 650 just works, it's more complicated than it seems like it needs to be, but it works every day and every time.  Also, if you ever get out of reloading or want to upgrade/downgrade, it is the only machine that you'll get 85-95% of your money back out of (in my experience).  

An Update on my part:

I got the used Dillon SDB in 45 and just got my replacement parts - the return spring they gave me was way to big so I had to ghetto-machine it with a pair of blasting cap cutters and a vice grip.

I also got a 10mm Square Deal and 500 casings for a steal - almost felt like a robbery. Everything with it runs really smooth - had to adjust the seating a bit but it feels amazing to churn out 10mm for about $11/box of 50.

Stayed under my $600 goal - which is good for going Going Blue Times Two.

Ill probably eventually spring for a 550 (or 650 on a deal) because I need to fit .223 and .357SIG. Ill probably get another Square Deal for 9mm.

The wife is slightly annoyed but realizes that 1000 rds of 45 and 10mm have never been cheaper.

The primer system loading sucks and I bought a Frankford Arsenal zibra prime that gets jammed up or puts them in upside down - I need a fix for that eventually

An Update on my part:

I got the used Dillon SDB in 45 and just got my replacement parts - the return spring they gave me was way to big so I had to ghetto-machine it with a pair of blasting cap cutters and a vice grip.

I also got a 10mm Square Deal and 500 casings for a steal - almost felt like a robbery. Everything with it runs really smooth - had to adjust the seating a bit but it feels amazing to churn out 10mm for about $11/box of 50.

Stayed under my $600 goal - which is good for going Going Blue Times Two.

Ill probably eventually spring for a 550 (or 650 on a deal) because I need to fit .223 and .357SIG. Ill probably get another Square Deal for 9mm.

The wife is slightly annoyed but realizes that 1000 rds of 45 and 10mm have never been cheaper.

The primer system loading sucks and I bought a Frankford Arsenal zibra prime that gets jammed up or puts them in upside down - I need a fix for that eventually

What load are you running for 10mm?  I have one coming in next month and want to work something up when I get it.

What load are you running for 10mm? I have one coming in next month and want to work something up when I get it.

I started with 8.5GR of HiSkor 800-X under a Win LP and 180gr Hornady HAPs.

I have worked it up to 9.1gr using the same components. Shooting with a Gen 3 Glock 29 and Gen 4 Glock 20. If I do my part they do theirs.

Its a compressed load - I can get OAL specifics for you in a bit, for my new loads on the SDB I have a bit of the Ogive showing on the HAPs with a mild crimp. They pass Max Cart gauges and the barrel tests.

Recoil isnt any worse than hot 45ACP - my 185gr LSWCs over 5.5gr of Bullseye for my G30 dont feel much different.

I started with 8.5GR of HiSkor 800-X under a Win LP and 180gr Hornady HAPs.

I have worked it up to 9.1gr using the same components. Shooting with a Gen 3 Glock 29 and Gen 4 Glock 20. If I do my part they do theirs.

Its a compressed load - I can get OAL specifics for you in a bit, for my new loads on the SDB I have a bit of the Ogive showing on the HAPs with a mild crimp. They pass Max Cart gauges and the barrel tests.

Recoil isnt any worse than hot 45ACP - my 185gr LSWCs over 5.5gr of Bullseye for my G30 dont feel much different.

I'm excited to get this gun, I've been waiting 14 months.  I'm especially excited to get a 10mm of my own, I've been wanting one for awhile.  How's that 800x meter for you?  I've heard someone make the comment that it meters like corn flakes, but then I've seen a lot of people using it.  I run N320 with 3N37 as a backup for .40 so it should translate over to 10mm alright.

I'm excited to get this gun, I've been waiting 14 months. I'm especially excited to get a 10mm of my own, I've been wanting one for awhile. How's that 800x meter for you? I've heard someone make the comment that it meters like corn flakes, but then I've seen a lot of people using it. I run N320 with 3N37 as a backup for .40 so it should translate over to 10mm alright.

In my Dillon it meters very accurately, I only had trouble with it using the el-cheapo Lee powder drop. I personally really like it, especially for $17/pound - whole lot better than going with AA#9 or H110 for cost effectiveness.

Which model of 10mm did you end up going for?

In my Dillon it meters very accurately, I only had trouble with it using the el-cheapo Lee powder drop. I personally really like it, especially for $17/pound - whole lot better than going with AA#9 or H110 for cost effectiveness.

Which model of 10mm did you end up going for?

I'm running a Dillon as well.  Seems to do alright, although occasionally it can drop some charges that are a little farther off, plus or minus, than where I'd like them.  I ordered an Infinity single stack 1911 about 14 months ago as a 20 year work gift to myself.  I timed the order so it would be ready around my 20 year anniversary and so far it's looking like it'll be awfully close.