Shelter in Place? Get out of Dodge.

vontar

Something that has been on my mind lately.

Keep in mind, I see this as unlikely but still prefer to have a plan of action.

At work, they have a Shelter in place plan that is the same for natural vs man made disaster. 

I have no doubt that if there was an active shooter situation they would call for everyone to go to the SIP location which only 2 locations in the whole building.

For me, the shelter in place calls for me to leave my area and go down 1 floor into a hallway that you can only access via security badges.  My badge won't open that door so I would be completely dependent on someone at the door to let me in. 

During Drills they always have someone there.  (I don't expect the brave management types to be that brave during an actually emergency).

I agree with the plan in the event of say a tornado.

However if there is an active shooter, I would no want to go to the hall way.

I believe I would take another route which is about equal distance from my seat to an emergency stairwell  at the end of the building.  It is not locked from the inside, the only locks prevent someone from getting in.  You can exit all day long any day or night.

I normally park on the end of the building and use it as a means of leaving the building almost daily anyways so it is a path i know well.

Thoughts?  Go with the Corp. Plan and SIP or try to make an escape?

I have pretty well made my mind up, I am going for the escape to get outside.  If there is a shooter in the building, I want to be on the outside.

Odds are unless shooting started directly near me, I would have enough time to go to that stairwell, especially if people are following the funnel to the SIP location.

There are only about 10 offices between me an that Stairwell, plus 2 paths to it vs the SIP location only has 1 real path from my location due to a choke point.

• Like 2

The SIP plan sounds like fish in a barrel, unless the lock truly keeps out the shooter.  What happens if the shooter has a can of gas?  Could he cause worse mayhem if everyone was confined to one area?  The only problems I see with leaving by your exit is the possibility of a sniper outside.  I think one of the school shootings involved pulling a fire alarm and the killer(s) sniped from a hill as everyone evacuated.  The only other problem is that the goal of a lock down is to lock out an intruder, but I assume that in most cases the intruder has already intruded.

Just "WHO" thought of this SIP plan? Could very well be someone who is not a tactical thinker. If my plan sounded better to me that's what i'll do, I wouldn't feel safe in a room packed with people. Now my plan in my imaginary business would be, an employee bonus of a $600 handgun and a training course with a good qualified instructor to also go through the building and figure the best plan for each individual where they are at to secure a safe place behind good cover, be prepared to encounter the shooter if need be, while my best trained security goes on the offense.  :)

Is that a better plan?

Even my son's school has changed from lock down in the class rooms to "run, hide, or fight."  Not that they provide any effective means of fighting back, but they have changed the security plan so that it is no longer just "hide and die."

• Like 2

The SIP plan sounds like something concocted by someone from marketing, accounting, and HR came up with, NOT something that anyone with a background in or even rudimentary understanding of physical or personal security. I'd smile and nod and go though the motions for drills, but SHTF and I'm out.

• Like 1

Never, ever do nothing and sitting in a room waiting is doing nothing. The worst possible thing anyone can ever do is nothing. By doing nothing you are not trying and if you are not trying you have already lost.

First and foremost get the hell out of the building, no matter how or what you have to destroy to get out. I liken an active shooter to a fire because you are going to want to do almost the exact same thing. Get low, as small as you can will still being able to move fast and get out of the building by the quickest means possible. Once you are out NEVER go back in. Then once outside run away and get as far away as you can until authorities start asking for witnesses.

• Like 1

Never, ever do nothing and sitting in a room waiting is doing nothing. The worst possible thing anyone can ever do is nothing. By doing nothing you are not trying and if you are not trying you have already lost.

First and foremost get the hell out of the building, no matter how or what you have to destroy to get out. I liken an active shooter to a fire because you are going to want to do almost the exact same thing. Get low, as small as you can will still being able to move fast and get out of the building by the quickest means possible. Once you are out NEVER go back in. Then once outside run away and get as far away as you can until authorities start asking for witnesses.

When thinking about these situations, avoid the words "never" and "always".

Your plan should be fluid depending on your situation and the problem. If I was faced with an active shooter in an unknown location in my building, I know that I have a solid wood door on a metal frame with a lock. I also have a large amount of heavy wood furniture. Compared to running into the open with any number of unknown assailants in unknown locations, I'll stay put.

If I were caught in the open and couldn't make it to my office, then I'd head for one of the emergency exits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When thinking about these situations, avoid the words "never" and "always".

Your plan should be fluid depending on your situation and the problem. If I was faced with an active shooter in an unknown location in my building, I know that I have a solid wood door on a metal frame with a lock. I also have a large amount of heavy wood furniture. Compared to running into the open with any number of unknown assailants in unknown locations, I'll stay put.

If I were caught in the open and couldn't make it to my office, then I'd head for one of the emergency exits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And have your concealable handgun ready, the one the company knows absolutely nothing about.   :)

T.C.A. § 39-17-1359

©(1) It is an offense to possess a weapon in a building or on property that is properly posted in accordance with this section.
(2) Possession of a weapon on posted property in violation of this section is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by fine only of five hundred dollars ($500).
But you will live to pay the fine and find another job.
Edited by K191145