Looking for knowledge/advice/resources for 4 stroke outboards

Specifically a Mercury 115, 2005 model.  I just bought a new to me boat and it sports this engine.  I can tell you all about 2 smokes but 4 strokes are foreign territory to me.   I've spent a few minutes trying to find maintenance schedules and whatnot and the online but the only thing that I can find are links to buy the manual.  While I will buy the manual if all else fails I would like to find a free PDF download if possible.  Right off the bat I know I need to replace the water pump impeller and change the oil as I know the PO personally and though they had the oil changed seasonally I doubt they ever had the impeller changed.  I did find a how to article on changing the oil and was wondering if anyone knew if the motor needs to be completely upright to do an oil change.  The boat is in the water and I'd just rather not take it out to change the oil.  

Other than that I took it 30 miles upriver on Saturday and it ran great.

Welcome to the world of the bottomless money pit.

With that said, you want to know about 4 strokes.  1st, if you have ever owned a gasoline combustion engine car?  If so, then you are now on the same ground as your 4 stroke motor.  It takes gas, it requires oil changes, it requires oil filter changes, and you still have to change the lower gear lube every now and then.  You do have to change out spark plugs probably once in a lifetime setting.  Just make sure the motor pees when running, and if it doesn't, water pump or a clog. 

Keep lots of cash on hand for all of the buggy stuff that will go bad and have to be replaced.

You will want to be on dry land to do these tasks. Water pump is the same as on a two stroke. Should be all kinds of videos on line for the maintenance of your motor. Spraying water is not always and indication of the condition of your impeller. A bad impeller will pump some water but not always enough to properly cool. A water pressure gauge is a good investment for an outboard. Some people change their impeller every year. By the way it will have a screw on oil filter.

• Like 1