Attacker goes for your gun...

Guest Chisum

I think this kind of situation is a toss-up. As previously said (and said well, IMHO), it really depends on the facts of the case. However, I do think there is a good argument that, if someone continues to come after you once they know you are armed (even if you've pulled away), the person was likely a real threat. But, if you pull away and he doesn't continue the attack, do NOT shoot.

On the stall thing, I take a different approach. I don't like having my back to everything, particularly when I would be cornered. If the urinals do not have partitions, I typically go to the urinal on the far side. In this case, where my gun would be against the wall. That way, I can see what's going on around me and can react. I know you can lock the stall door most of the time, but what if there are multiple attackers. You may never see them coming.

Midtennchip

Unofficial Resident Attorney

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the more unique threads you will find on the interweb. Starts with a Hypothetical question...turns into a soliloquy on how to win a gunfight with the guy in the urinal next to you. Not discounting the situation, but it is a rather odd discussion nonetheless

urinaletiquettelc8.jpg

Guest devilsalmostfree
Simple. Turn toward him as you continue peeing.

there ya go, that would be priceless! i would say it would be self defense, & a dead guy doesnt talk! u word against...who's?

If someone does go for your gun, you would be justified in killing the SOB. The key word here is that you feared for your life. You would have to answer several questions a 100 times over and over but that is just how it is.

Some people carry a knife on there weak side for protection in a situation as this. But I can tell you, that opening a knife is a fine motor skill that is lost in the heat of the moment. If you do take your mind off your gun you will be dead. This is were you must know some kind of martial arts. There are allot of moves that can be used to retain your weapon and kill the SOB. You just have to figure out one that works for you and practice it a few times. The way you train and prepare for a situation is the way you will act in the heat of the moment. Mental preparation plays a big part in survival. I could go on and on. Prepare and prepare some more.

Guest devilsalmostfree
If someone does go for your gun, you would be justified in killing the SOB. The key word here is that you feared for your life. You would have to answer several questions a 100 times over and over but that is just how it is.

Some people carry a knife on there weak side for protection in a situation as this. But I can tell you, that opening a knife is a fine motor skill that is lost in the heat of the moment. If you do take your mind off your gun you will be dead. This is were you must know some kind of martial arts. There are allot of moves that can be used to retain your weapon and kill the SOB. You just have to figure out one that works for you and practice it a few times. The way you train and prepare for a situation is the way you will act in the heat of the moment. Mental preparation plays a big part in survival. I could go on and on. Prepare and prepare some more.

very true about the way you train and prepare for a situation is the way you will act in the heat of the moment!

Some people carry a knife on there weak side for protection in a situation as this. But I can tell you, that opening a knife is a fine motor skill that is lost in the heat of the moment.

And we get back to using the right tool for the job - fixed blade or large wave waved knives.

Standing at a urinal today I noticed a man standing a bit closer to my right hip than I was comfortable with. No incident occured, but it got me thinking: hypothetically of course, would I be justified in using deadly force to prevent an attacker from taking my gun and turning it on me? Would that logic add up to a strong enough case of reasonable fear for my life?

I believe it would work in any state.

You can’t shoot someone just because you are in a fight, but I believe that if you were fighting for control of a weapon a “reasonable person†(Jury) would believe that you were in immediate danger of death or great bodily harm.

But whether or not you go to trial is going to be up to how the DA sees it. Like how capable the guy was of getting your weapon.

I have been in a fight for control of a weapon and it is the reason I like magazine disconnects. If you can’t gain control of the weapon quickly; you can press the mag release and both of your hands are then free to do whatever you need to do. Hit him, club him, pull your back-up weapon and kill him… whatever.

Guest HexHead

I have been in a fight for control of a weapon and it is the reason I like magazine disconnects. If you can’t gain control of the weapon quickly; you can press the mag release and both of your hands are then free to do whatever you need to do. Hit him, club him, pull your back-up weapon and kill him… whatever.

I doubt that's what CA had in mind making magazine disconnects mandatory. :D

Thats why people don't know that I'm carrying a gun or 3 until its time for me to use it. Keep'em concealed and they won't know to go for your gun.

Yeah, I'm thinking this whole scenario is pretty low likelihood, even if you were open carrying; nil possibility if well concealed.

- OS

Aikido comes in very handy in these situations if you know how to use it.

+1 on Aikido and it's usefulness in controlling yourself and an attacker. There is a great Aikido dojo in Nashville off of Wedgewood. I've been training there for almost a year and a half. Bushin Dojo - www.bushinaikido.com

Great instructors, very practical. A few LEO train and teach there, too.

Guest specialagent

As a DT Instructor, I have to say a couple of things. If an attacker goes for your gun? "You had better have been prepared and trained for this event, your whole life depends on it". You can bet that if he gets it, It will not be shown at a Sunday School Show -n-tell or given back to you with an apology. There is a responsibility to gun carry. Not only should you be able too shoot it, but you better train to retain it! My 2 cents :)