Review: Urban Carry's New Holster

Summary

I’m very satisfied with my purchase and would recommend this holster to anyone who needs match mine. I recommend this holster for a gun that uses Urban Carry’s size medium or smaller.  There is a size chart on their web.  I’m using an M&P Shield.  It might work with an M&P Compact, definitely nothing bigger.

This is an awesome solution for those who need to wear a shirt tucked in or are using it for a backup gun.  

My Kydex inside the waistband is more comfortable, though the slight decrease in comfort is a small price to pay for a solution that allows you to tuck in your shirt.

Pro’s

• You can wear it with your shirt tucked in. This is by far the biggest advantage for me. This is great for those who have to wear their shirt tucked in at work.
  • I believe this will allow for faster draw than an inside the waistband carried on the hip, more practice needed to verify.
  • It stays hidden and no one will identify it.
  • Great option for a backup gun, especially a smaller one.  (If a uniform wearing LEO, make sure your belt has room and that your belt isn’t too wide)
  • Black or brown is available
  • Quality manufacturing with good leather.

Cons

• I have to use pants that are 2” larger with the Urban Carry.  This isn’t needed with my Kydex.
  • This holster definitely takes practice with an UNLOADED gun.  I found that I pointed it at myself until I figured it out.  It presents the gun straight up at a higher level than what I’m used to - not a problem with sufficient training.
  • It points at my leg when sitting down.  The gun is totally enclosed in the holster, so this doesn’t concern me with a quality gun like an M&P Shield.

Notes: 

Break the holster in before first use.  Put a leather treatment such as Bick-4 on and let it soak in.  Then, bend the holster in a multitude of directions with a focus on the seams.  Excluding the time for the leather treatment to soak in, this take about 5 minutes.

Here is how this will play out for me.  I’ll use my Kydex inside the waistband holster when I don’t have to tuck my shirt in and the Urban Carry when I do.

It’s very comfortable when driving or sitting at a desk.  

I believe you could draw it from any position in a jam, though it is meant to be drawn from a standing position.  Any position other than standing would be a disadvantage.

I’ve reviewed FBI statistics on when you are most likely to be in a violent confrontation.  One of those is while driving.  I don’t use this for defense when I’m wearing a seat belt.  I have a full size M&P in the console for that.

In summary, I'm really glad I bought the holster and will get years of use from days when I need to tuck my shirt in.

Urban%20Carry%204_zpspirkfjav.jpgUrban%20Carry%203_zpseo1xjfka.jpgUrban%20Carry%203_zpseo1xjfka.jpgUrban%20Carry%201_zps8zao4gii.jpg

Edited by Pete123
  • Like 2

Thanks for an outstanding review. My friends who know I carry have asked me about this holster, so now I have a trusted review to comment about it. For me, it doesn't quite fit a niche that I need to fill. 

I think I'm too small to carry in that position, but I'd love to try one for a few days. The distance between my belt line and leg when sitting is so short, it would seem that the gun would be pushed up or that it would push down uncomfortably into my leg. 

I might check out their return policy.

Forgive me being ignorant and too lazy to google it ... but is this a pocket holster for the shield?

Thanks for the in depth thoughts and pics. I don't ever tuck my shirt in, but do like the pocket carry and would love an option for the shield (I've not cared for other options I've tried to pocket carry it before).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgive me being ignorant and too lazy to google it ... but is this a pocket holster for the shield?

Thanks for the in depth thoughts and pics. I don't ever tuck my shirt in, but do like the pocket carry and would love an option for the shield (I've not cared for other options I've tried to pocket carry it before).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not a pocket carry holster.  There are plenty of inexpensive pocket holsters for the Shield, though I found that the only pants they fit into my cargo pants.  

This is a holster that carries the gun inside your pants.  You have to move it to make it comfortable.  For me, it's on the inside of the thigh - kind of between the thigh and private parts.

Thanks for an outstanding review. My friends who know I carry have asked me about this holster, so now I have a trusted review to comment about it. For me, it doesn't quite fit a niche that I need to fill. 

I think I'm too small to carry in that position, but I'd love to try one for a few days. The distance between my belt line and leg when sitting is so short, it would seem that the gun would be pushed up or that it would push down uncomfortably into my leg. 

I might check out their return policy.

Regarding their return policy, the holster won't be comfortable until you break it in.  I'm not sure if they'll take it back then.

I appreciate your comments about the trusted review.  Their website is really a 'white wash' claiming it is the best thing since sliced white bread.  They would increase their credibility if the message was, 'this is a great product for the right person.  Of course, it isn't perfect, though it is absolutely a great choice for those who have to tuck their shirts in.'

See the video below.  

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-hcS5hpMCM[/media]

I want to provide an update on the comfort level.

I said that a Kydex inside the waist was an 8 out of 10 for comfort and the Urban is a 7 out of ten.

I think I'll update the Urban carry to a 6 out of 10.

My recommendation overall is still the same.  If you have times when you have to wear a shirt that is tucked in, this is an awesome choice.  Much better to have some amount of less comfort, yet have a gun when you need it.

Maybe the general public doesn't notice tip offs to concealed carry so your setup may be ok. Since you have your HCP it really doesn't matter.  But the flap on your belt and the belt sag on that side scream  "I am armed with a gun in my pants".

I make a game of it out in public by trying to notice who is armed to increase my awareness. The biggest problem with IWB holster is the belt attachment that is a give away. Some are small and work with a .380 which I usually carry. Business attire is required at work so a smaller pistol is in order. I have almost went fulltime to OWB with a light jacket or fashion vest most of the time.  Again, not one of those photographer's vest, they also are a tip off to going armed.

Edited by Knox Al

Maybe the general public doesn't notice tip offs to concealed carry so your setup may be ok. Since you have your HCP it really doesn't matter.  But the flap on your belt and the belt sag on that side scream  "I am armed with a gun in my pants".

I make a game of it out in public by trying to notice who is armed to increase my awareness. The biggest problem with IWB holster is the belt attachment that is a give away. Some are small and work with a .380 which I usually carry. Business attire is required at work so a smaller pistol is in order. I have almost went fulltime to OWB with a light jacket or fashion vest most of the time.  Again, not one of those photographer's vest, they also are a tip off to going armed.

I don't worry about folks identifying it.  Most people won't notice anything.  No one has said anything so far.  

There aren't many who would see that and say, 'oh, that's a gun'  The ones who can will be folks like those of us on TGO.

Of course, there can be exceptions, though I'm not concerned.

That belt is a Walmart special.  I'm in the process of getting a proper belt.