Opryland Hotel?

Guest abailey362

Guest abailey362

Is opryland hotel off limits for carry? they have restaurants inside that serve alcohol, but are those considered separate structures or buildings, or is the whole place off limits because you can buy a drink and walk around inside.

also, if the bars/restaurants are considered separate, is the hotel posted? I will not be staying, just going for the lights if we go, so the residential rules for the hotel don't apply.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abailey362

thanks, but neither of those address the issue. The first thread starts to, but there is no good answer and it drifts to restaurant owners supporting carry. the second thread deals with staying overnight, definition of private place and dwellings, and doesn't address alcohol.

I really just need to know if opryland hotel and the bars/restaurants inside are considered the same place or separate locations (like a bar or restaurant in a mall)

thanks, but neither of those address the issue. The first thread starts to, but there is no good answer and it drifts to restaurant owners supporting carry. the second thread deals with staying overnight, definition of private place and dwellings, and doesn't address alcohol.

I really just need to know if opryland hotel and the bars/restaurants inside are considered the same place or separate locations (like a bar or restaurant in a mall)

I think that is because there is no good answer.

IMO they are not the same place, but they could just as easily be considered the same place in other's opinion.

Of course your room itself would be ok. They only real question would be the "common" areas. I have never been to the Opryland Hotel, so I don't really know the layout.

You can always call as Dave suggest, however they may tell you it against their policy period instead of giving you a direct answer.

I'd bet that the bar and hotel are different business entities, but legal tests can be a bit tricky on hotels. I've heard that the permit that allows "room service" for "on premise" consumption puts full service hotels in a precarious situation regarding carry permits.

I'd bet that the bar and hotel are different business entities, but legal tests can be a bit tricky on hotels. I've heard that the permit that allows "room service" for "on premise" consumption puts full service hotels in a precarious situation regarding carry permits.

Plus whatever legal ramifications of most upscale hotels having an in-room stocked bar, too.

But then, your room is your "castle", at least in TN.

I don't anticipate hotel stay type travel anymore, but if I do, I think I'll just treat the hotel proper as a "no liquor" biz, and conceal well.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
add'l thoughts

I've thought about this a bit more and I think it may go back to word(s) we discussed in another thread..."are served"

So we are all on the same page, here is the part of text of the law we are discussing.

39-17-1305 Possession of firearm where alcoholic beverages are served.

(a) It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in § 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102(1), are served for on premises consumption.

There are basically 4 elements required to make it off-limits for carry.

• Within the confines of building (Outside is ok)
  • Open to the public (Your home, private club, motel room are ok)
  • Served (Not sold so that the club is still off-limits even on free beer night.)
  • On premises consumption (Package and convenience stores legal)

There is no doubt that the Opryland Hotel is a building and that certain areas like the lobby and other places are open to public. But does that mean you can consume alcohol anywhere in the building? Even if you can, do they serve alcohol anywhere in the building?

If you can sit in the lobby and have someone serve you a beer I would say the lobby would be off-limits or any other place you could be served an alcoholic beverage. If their license only allows for sales/service within the bar area, IMO everywhere other than the bar area would be ok to carry.

Just my :) that may not be worth :poop:

If the law is not changed, I think this would be a good thing for the AG to clarify. If you go to a bowling alley where there is a bar and they only serve drinks in the bar, does that mean the whole bowling alley is off-limits or just the area where drinks are served?

• 1 year later...

Holy Thread resurrection Batman!

Carry concealed and nobody knows but you. I wouldnt worry about it. Ive never seen a no carry sign posted anywhere of the hundreds of times ive been. Just obviously dont go into any of the bars.

The restaurants and shops are all separate identities and are sectioned off making their own "space". I carry in there often, but I don't go to the restaurants. It is no different than a mall where the whole mall can post or each store can post.

Guest mtsumatt

I was there with my brother (policeman) and he was there attending an organized function there at the hotel. He was in plain clothes, but was carrying a gun visibly. Walking over from the parking lot towards Opry Mills, a security lady actually turned her truck around very quickly and jumped out to tell him that there are no firearms allowed in the hotel.

Of course, he was fine and informed her that many hundred people were in the hotel and were armed.

In my opinion, the security personnel should know what is going to be going on in the hotel so they are aware of what kinds of situations they are dealing with.

Therefore, I don't think they will be to courteous to people with guns. If you carry there, I recommend keeping it well concealed.

I was there with my brother (policeman) and he was there attending an organized function there at the hotel. He was in plain clothes, but was carrying a gun visibly. Walking over from the parking lot towards Opry Mills, a security lady actually turned her truck around very quickly and jumped out to tell him that there are no firearms allowed in the hotel.

Of course, he was fine and informed her that many hundred people were in the hotel and were armed.

In my opinion, the security personnel should know what is going to be going on in the hotel so they are aware of what kinds of situations they are dealing with.

Therefore, I don't think they will be to courteous to people with guns. If you carry there, I recommend keeping it well concealed.

You have to watch the Opryland security. Only twice in my life have I had a firearm pulled out and aimed at me. Once was for being on the opposing team at a Red Boiling Springs ball game in H.S. The other was by O'land security for being where I was supposed to be, when I was supposed to be and credentialed for the area. My associate and I stopped when called, turned and simply stated our business....to an un-holstered weapon. Luckily there was another officer there to confirm it. Even he stated that some of them dont belong there.

I know they arent all bad apples, just saying that if you're going to go make certain you have the correct info from the proper source.