traps

Guest gunnutt

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest devilsalmostfree

try the fox fire book! something like that! i know gander mtn, up in knoxville sales the old style hunting traps, they may also have books or videos there! i have a survival book, its like a 4-5"X3-4" size, i keep it in my saddle bags on my saddle, just in case something was to happen out on the trail, ill try & remember to get the title & author of it tomorrow! also, try amazon.com for survival stuff!

Edited by devilsalmostfree
Guest Verbal Kint
can anybody recomend any books or advice on home made traps

71CEC41SEBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.gif

:hyper:

On a serious note... the military guides, as mentioned, are definitely a good place to start. However, you may want to branch out into the civilian books are they're often easier to read and less "dry".

can anybody recomend any books or advice on home made traps for food,john

As far as advice, know your local laws, and practice...a lot.

+1 to devilsalmostfree, Geez, that's freaky just typing your name. :hyper:

Gander Mtn. has some traps for sale here in Knoxville. If your looking for something to use around the house, that would probably be a good way to go.

Guest devilsalmostfree
As far as advice, know your local laws, and practice...a lot.

+1 to devilsalmostfree, Geez, that's freaky just typing your name. :usa:

Gander Mtn. has some traps for sale here in Knoxville. If your looking for something to use around the house, that would probably be a good way to go.

nothing ment satanicly by the name bro! thanks for the compliment though! i was in the army, nickname was devil for getting into trouble a few times, i was getting out the army (freedom) when i came up with the name, glad u like it!

I'd say the US Army Survival Guide is a definite read, it covers a lot of trapping and fishing techniques with simple tools and materials.

US Army Survival Guide

or, if you're like me and refuse to use amazon.com because they support pedophiles and nambla, you can just chuck a bunch of paper in your printer and go here and download it...

http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/FM21-76_SurvivalManual.pdf

or, if you're like me and refuse to use amazon.com because they support pedophiles and nambla, you can just chuck a bunch of paper in your printer and go here and download it...

http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/FM21-76_SurvivalManual.pdf

Really? I've never heard that, but I'd like to know what that's all about. Happy to say I've never actually bought anything from them.

Here's a site I've used before that has lots of books and manuals in PDF form:

Free Info Society

You can find the US Army Survival Guide there, along with the SAS's. Not to mention CIA manuals and other goodies.

If you don't want to buy traps, you might want to look into snares, I don't know if your counting them as a separate category. It's more of a hobby making and setting your own snares, instead of buying traps. I did some a couple summers ago on in an area where I thought I'd catch a rabbit; no luck, but it was fun.

Guest gunnutt
If you don't want to buy traps, you might want to look into snares, I don't know if your counting them as a separate category. It's more of a hobby making and setting your own snares, instead of buying traps. I did some a couple summers ago on in an area where I thought I'd catch a rabbit; no luck, but it was fun.

I lumped everything together for discussion bit i did look into snares,just wanted some opinions thanks everybody,john

• 1 month later...
Guest ridge rover

http://www.survival.com/traps.html

Get that video! Everything ya need to know! Ron teaches, not just shows!. He teaches science and practical knowledge!

If ya want more modern, go to Buckshotscamp.com. His book has good info on Connebear traps. etc.

Tn has funny laws on trapping, especially the Connebears. the 110 is good for small game, but illegal unless trapping for swimming rabbits!

The 220 is great, but hard to set, unless you have a tool or big arms!

• 3 months later...
  • Admin Team

Buckshot's Basic Survival Guide - probably the best authority on trapping/snairing I've ever read - from someone who does it for a living.

http://www.trapperbuckshot.addr.com/Book-Buckshots-Basic-Survival-Manual.htm

While you are there, his snaring kits are AWESOME. His commercial locking snares and scent lures turn the tide in your favor. I carry three of his small snares and a medium snare in my Level II kit along with various sents. Not much weight, and a 10 pound raccoon would keep you alive for a week. We've set out a couple of drops of scent lure and set up for observation before without snaring, and it is amazing what you attract.

Snaring and trapping can be very hit or miss without refining your skill set. A recent Man vs. Wild has Bear (and his support crew) set out about 20 traps, and he went hungry - I'm sure he wound up eating an eyeball or something before teaching some weekend warriors how to fall to their death.

Make sure you check local regs before you practice your skills - they vary widely. Most places have placement restrictions and checking requirements to ensure you don't snare curious pets.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ridge rover

I don't know what the deal is with Buckshot. I've had good dealings with him in the past, but this thread seems to be part of a pattern. i can speak highly of his book though.

Buckshot's Camp Is An Ugly Business To Deal With - BladeForums.com

I've heard other bad reports from my home forum. I can say Survival.com is the real deal!

Another group of folks us-rog, I think, spoke highly of him in their book and website, they no longer mention him.

You will find some articles of him on the alpha-rubicon site. Looks bad, but who knows, he could be OK now. He did move from Michigan to Texas a while back. Jurys out, but I would be careful.