Stupid Bass Pro

Guest 0down

Guest 0down

Went to Bass pro this weekend to help the Mrs. pick out a new pistol. They had trigger locks on every single firearm in stock. I asked the kid behind the counter to remove the lock on an M&P. Apparently store policy is: "Um, like were not really supposed to, uh, like, do that." We walked out. I like Sportsman's Warehouse better.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed that the last time I was in there. I didn't look at any guns and was wondering if they would take the locks off. How are you supposed to see if you like it just by grabbing it without stroking the trigger as well???

I go into Gander Mountain a lot and they have trigger locks on everything but will take them off of the rifles if you ask and will take it off of any pistol that you ask to see at the same time they take it out of the display case. I prefer that method to coal creek armory's, when I went there for the first time I asked to see a pistol and slipped my finger into the trigger guard and they flipped out like we both hadn't chamber checked it 20 seconds ago.

Hmm, which Bass Pro are we talking about here? I bought my Glock 19 and my Mossberg 535 from the Nashville store and there were no trigger locks on either. I wonder if this is a new policy?

Guest Phantom6
My clue not to buy from CCA was the no weapons sign on the door. I thought they were supposed to be on our side. :P

WTF? It's been so long since I['ve been in there that I've never seen the sign. That's pretty damned wacked if you ask me!

My LGS has a sign posted that states "all firearms must be check at desk", when I asked about it they said it only applied to the "cowboy idiots". Seems some DA went in there with a loaded 1911 on his hip, yanking it in and out, checking different holsters ETC.

I told them that if I had to disarm before coming into the store I'd take my business elsewhere. they told me in no uncertain terms that "I was a valued customer and they knew I carried and that they were proud to have me shop there".

I've printed up some of those cards and have started using them in places that don't carry.

I only go in BPS to look around and maybe buy something that is on sale that I can't get elsewhere. I have made 2 purchases there totaling less than 75.00. The last time I was in there (Sevierville) they acted like it was a burden to wait on me so I'll probably not go back. I work too hard for my money for some punk kid to act like it's not his job to help a customer.

Guest db99wj
Hmm, which Bass Pro are we talking about here? I bought my Glock 19 and my Mossberg 535 from the Nashville store and there were no trigger locks on either. I wonder if this is a new policy?

He is, talking about the one in Memphis, just off I-40, Sycamore View Road.

I'm thinking that is a new policy as well. Last time I was there I don't believe they had trigger locks on them.

Guest Voodoo_1
Went to Bass pro this weekend to help the Mrs. pick out a new pistol. They had trigger locks on every single firearm in stock. I asked the kid behind the counter to remove the lock on an M&P. Apparently store policy is: "Um, like were not really supposed to, uh, like, do that." We walked out. I like Sportsman's Warehouse better.

I think this is a new policy due to being in Bass Pro several months ago and they did not have gun locks on their pistols.

But you got "Stupid Bass Pro" right. When I was at the store, I was looking at the handguns in the case and another customer walked up and asked to see a Sig 226 and a Beretta 90-two. The salesman pulled the two guns for the customer but exclaimed " if you want our best handgun you should look at the Glocks.:up: I shook my head and looked over at the customer, and he had this look of disbelief on his face. The customer said thank-you anyway and turned and walked off. The salesman asked me if he could help me and I said "well I wanted to see that HK USPc but I'm afraid you will try to sell me a Glock and turned and walked away.:rolleyes:

Potential sale:

Sig 226 - $750.00

Beretta 90-two - $750.00

Hk USPc - $800.00

Sold $0.00

Bass Pro has some real nimrods working there and just don't get it when it comes to handguns.

I caught up to the other customer walking out and we both had a good laugh over that one!:mad:

Guest Voodoo_1
Yea people love it when you tell them what to buy. If a customer asks for your opinion give it to them honestly, but you don't tell someone their potential purchase is a bad idea just because it's not what you like for yourself.

That seems to be Bass Pro's style with about everything. They even told me back in Jan. that they didn't carry Speer Gold Dot 124Gr. 9mm +P because "they" thought it was an inferior 9mm round. :eek:That let me know, real quick, that they didn't have a clue! This is one of the most popular 9mm rounds being used by both civilians and LEO's.

I would say that's what you get for going to a big box retail store which hires the lowest-paid help they can get.

But that would be self-serving.:)

And some of the independents arent much better. A customer of mine told me how he went into one of the largest shops in town to buy a Taurus .44 and the clerk told him flat out if he wanted that gun then he was an idiot. He walked out.

In terms of customer service, you get what you pay for. The minimum wage kid working his way through school at BPS probably will not know much and not know enough (or care enough) about good customer service to not offer an unsolicited opinion or couch that opinion in terms more friendly than "you're an idiot if you want that gun." Same is true at many (but not all) LGS. Dont even get me started on the negative impact many LGS have on our industry and our reputation with the general public. Find a friendly, competent LGS and stick with them.

But in a small defense of BPS, I have found some of the older (as in not teenagers) sales people who work there to be knowledgeable. There is a certain luck of the draw to it, so beware when you window shop.

I have also noticed BPS has a pro-Glock tendency. To be honest, my first handgun was a Glock probably due to the fact that I was ignorant at the time and the counter guy pushed it on me. (As we all know, I have since drank the Glock koolaid and am a BIG fan of Gaston and his products.)

Finally, I have heard success stories of BPS stocking what people ask them to stock. For example, a buddy of mine asked them to stock bio-degradable clays, and the mgr called him when they got them in.

Like any other place, its a hit-and-miss routine. Alot depends on the store manager and which sales person you get.

(Just dont ask them to unlock the gun safes for you, they never know where the keys are...)

I go into Gander Mountain a lot and they have trigger locks on everything but will take them off of the rifles if you ask and will take it off of any pistol that you ask to see at the same time they take it out of the display case. I prefer that method to coal creek armory's, when I went there for the first time I asked to see a pistol and slipped my finger into the trigger guard and they flipped out like we both hadn't chamber checked it 20 seconds ago.

at that point Brank, I would have looked at them and said...hey, I'm profit, you're overhead...if you don't like it, then I will be happy to spend my money somewhere else and this piece of iron can sit in your display case and RUST!

at that point Brank, I would have looked at them and said...hey, I'm profit, you're overhead...if you don't like it, then I will be happy to spend my money somewhere else and this piece of iron can sit in your display case and RUST!

Thats why I bought my XD at gander mtn :).