What Garmin TOPO maps?

TLRMADE

Just got a Garmin gps64s for Xmass. Was planning on using mine for hiking and tracking the distances we hike in our parks in the SE. Seems like there are a ton of maps I can download for my unit. Has anybody ever messed with downloading any of these maps and using them. New to the whole handheld gps unit game.

Here's a link I found with some maps.
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/tn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a Garmin gps64s for Xmass. Was planning on using mine for hiking and tracking the distances we hike in our parks in the SE. Seems like there are a ton of maps I can download for my unit. Has anybody ever messed with downloading any of these maps and using them. New to the whole handheld gps unit game.

Here's a link I found with some maps.
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/tn

I compiled one of those and added a transparent layer for roads when I was into geocaching.  I have a Garmin gsx60 which is one of the best of the older models, but it has a great antenna and gives me coverage where others fail to pickup the satellite system.

The 64 is a really good GPS receiver. I've had a 60, 62, and now 64. I had topo on the 62 but have not done it yet on the 64. Right now I have city navigator and US inland rivers and lakes. Don't do down load. By the cd. Reason being with a cd you can put it on your pc and use it on the 66? when it comes out, create routes on the pc and transfer it to the GPSr. That's the way I have with my river maps and have used it on all three. On the topo I bought by download, it's straight to GPSr and your done as far as using it again. I asked Garmin about this and they verified this. On city navigator you may have to buy a unlock to do another GPSR or you may get two unlocks with it.

I just looked at topo maps and the topo 100k sure looks nice. That's something new. That's what I'll get soon. Looks like you can only get that with on a card but you should be able to put that on your pc. Hope this helps a little.

The 64 is a really good GPS receiver. I've had a 60, 62, and now 64. I had topo on the 62 but have not done it yet on the 64. Right now I have city navigator and US inland rivers and lakes. Don't do down load. By the cd. Reason being with a cd you can put it on your pc and use it on the 66? when it comes out, create routes on the pc and transfer it to the GPSr. That's the way I have with my river maps and have used it on all three. On the topo I bought by download, it's straight to GPSr and your done as far as using it again. I asked Garmin about this and they verified this. On city navigator you may have to buy a unlock to do another GPSR or you may get two unlocks with it.

I just looked at topo maps and the topo 100k sure looks nice. That's something new. That's what I'll get soon. Looks like you can only get that with on a card but you should be able to put that on your pc. Hope this helps a little.

Where did you get the rivers download? I tried to download some of the free maps today from the link I posted. I could not figure out how to install them at all?

Where did you get the rivers download? I tried to download some of the free maps today from the link I posted. I could not figure out how to install them at all?

I bought them from Garmin. They don't have all the info that the Corp of Engineers charts have but they are good for boating navigation. They have all the navigation aids, sailing line,  and channel markers that the charts have. It has a new name now but this is what I have: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-water-maps/lakevu/u-s-lakevu-hd/prod125128.html. They have a better one for $199.00 that looks really nice. You are making me want to do some upgrading on maps. 

I've never seen that link you posted. I'll check that out too.

What's the file extension on the maps you downloaded? You should be able to just drag and drop from the pc.

For anyone that likes to look at, download tracks or create routes. Expert GPS is a great program. It's $80 a year but well worth it if you like a PC mapping counterpart. It will also send and receive files to you GPS.