Renewal process in Chattanooga 12/03/08

I renewed my hcp at the TDPS office near the tunnel, just on the N side of Chattanooga, as you are driving toward Red Bank. There were about 20 people waiting there for this and that, and it took me about 40 minutes to go through the process. You MUST have either a passport or a certified birth certificate with you. They WILL take a new photo (so dress up!), and you will need to write them a check for $50. I don't know if cash is acceptable. Who knows about the beauracracy? I expect it will take a few months to get the renewed permit card. I will keep track and let you all know.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My renewal (last year) form allowed me to just mail it in to Nashville. Was that not an option? My new permit came within a couple of weeks.
My last two renewals I did through the mail myself. Permit came back pretty quick both times.

How did you two guys handle the "proof of citizen" in the mail? I see where DOS states that those docs are not returned. Photocopy of birth certificate or passport is not supposed to be legit.

- OS

I don't recall giving them any of those items, and I renewed in '07. I'm almost certain it was fill out the renewal form, attach my check for $50, put a stamp on the envelope and mail it off. Go figure.

they asked to see a birth certificate again? i showed them the darn thing when i applied for the freaking permit to begin with.
You have to show it again to renew now, for proof of citizenship.

It was my understanding that once you've showed it to them (post 2005) that you didn't have to show it again. Since the state's site has been updated, it's not worded the same. (I do realize the site is not necessarily the law, but just for information) That was also the opinion of the State Trooper working at the DMV who processed my application. I remember it clearly, because we actually used the picture from my DL and didn't have to take another one and he cited that as an example for "once it's in there, you don't have to show it again." :cop:

No photocopies accepted, folks: http://tennessee.gov/dl So, I guess you'd have to pay for a real one and lose it, if you renew by mail. That sucks.

Edited by tadams
added sentence regarding site

I believe you are right, if you have shown it after July 2005 you would not have to show it again.

But even if you renewed in July 2005 you wouldn't have to renew for another 7 months. So anyone that has renewed in the last couple of years should have had to show it for that renewal since the previous one would have been prior to July 2005.

The more I think about this, it seems to me that this also creates an undue burden on the state's vital records office. Of course, then again, we all know it's just about the money, anyway.... so (depending on your age) another $15 or $8 must just sound like "good business" to somebody. I guess there's not enough of us permit holders for the vital records office to even notice an increase in requests. :-\ Of course, for anyone born after 1949, they don't ever even see your name cross their desks if you request it online. Vital records uses ChoicePoint to store/ send all data, now... the folks in our state's office only have access to their own information via this third party.

We oughta just be able to send them our $50 for the renewal, another $15 or $8 (based on age), and let the DOS folks walk down the street (less than 4 miles) and collect the "certified" photocopy while it's still hot off the Xerox. :P

Guest abailey362
My last two renewals I did through the mail myself. Permit came back pretty quick both times.

the problem with the mail-ins is that since it takes so long now, you don't have a receipt showing the renewal to act as a temp permit until the new one gets there. If they fall behind and don't issue a new one in time, you are legally without a permit if you didn't get a receipt.

I've got a few years, but I know I'll wait the time in line to make sure there is no lapse in the permit.

Guest bkelm18
the problem with the mail-ins is that since it takes so long now, you don't have a receipt showing the renewal to act as a temp permit until the new one gets there. If they fall behind and don't issue a new one in time, you are legally without a permit if you didn't get a receipt.

I've got a few years, but I know I'll wait the time in line to make sure there is no lapse in the permit.

From what I hear, if you call them and explain the situation, they'll issue you a letter that can be used as a temp permit until the new one arrives.

Guest EasilyObsessed

I sent in my renewal stuff in the first part of March last year. Got my permit originally in the summer of 04. I had to take in my birth certificate when I originally got my permit but they didnt need it for the renewal? I sent in nothing more than the renewal form and my check. Got my new permit about 3 and a half months later (after a phone call at 90 days).

At least they are consistent :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...