question about 1911 handgun

Guest jdavis

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilson Combat can build you a 1911 platform handgun chambered in just about any handgun cartridge. I'd also look at those built by STI if you want something at a somewhat lower price point and "off the shelf" configuration.

i took alook at the sti on line looks like a real nice gun,do you have any experience on the sti could you reccomend a shop that carries them so i can get my hands on one and see how they feel. for a lower end gun would anyone have any input on the taurus 1911 i found them in 40 cal but know nothing about the autos they look good for a $500.00 gun.

Edited by jdavis
Guest benchpresspower

I carry a Taurus PT1911 daily, I love it but every once in a while when I cycle through one in the chamber it will jam (has NEVER jammed when firing) if you pull the slide back easy. Using more force on pulling the slide I notice corrects the problem. Ambidextrous safety is nice since I'm a lefty.

I carry a Taurus PT1911 daily, I love it but every once in a while when I cycle through one in the chamber it will jam (has NEVER jammed when firing) if you pull the slide back easy. Using more force on pulling the slide I notice corrects the problem. Ambidextrous safety is nice since I'm a lefty.

No offence intended but I would not carry that weapon if I were you, any 1911 that will not cycle while chambering, when you rack the slide normally will eventually fail, if you cannot afford or do not want to shell out the money for a properly tuned, built 1911 carry a Glock, it just may save your life :hyper:

Guest bkelm18
No offence intended but I would not carry that weapon if I were you, any 1911 that will not cycle while chambering, when you rack the slide normally will eventually fail, if you cannot afford or do not want to shell out the money for a properly tuned, built 1911 carry a Glock, it just may save your life :stunned:

Please :hyper:. Manually racking the slide in no way even comes close to the amount of force that cycles the slide when a round is fired. So you're saying, that we should all carry $2000 1911s or Glocks? Yeah, that makes sense.

Edited by bkelm18
Please :hyper:. Manually racking the slide in no way even comes close to the amount of force that cycles the slide when a round is fired.

Never said that it did, out of 10 1911's that I have owned 1 of them did as he described, I had several failures to feed with that gun and sold it, this is my experience YMMV :stunned:

Guest bkelm18
Never said that it did, out of 10 1911's that I have owned 1 of them did as he described, I had several failures to feed with that gun and sold it, this is my experience YMMV :hyper:

Yep and there are thousands of other guns out there that function flawlessly even though they sometimes feed improperly when the improper amount of force is used to manually rack the slide.

Yep and there are thousands of other guns out there that function flawlessly even though they sometimes feed improperly when the improper amount of force is used to manually rack the slide.

Could be why the manuals often instruct to load the first round by locking slide back and releasing slide stop.

Both my Kahr and XD manuals stipulate that.

(actually quite important with the Kahr, especially until loosened up).

- OS

Guest bkelm18
Could be why the manuals often instruct to load the first round by locking slide back and releasing slide stop.

Both my Kahr and XD manuals stipulate that.

(actually quite important with the Kahr, especially until loosened up).

- OS

Yep, thats the best way. Using the "slingshot" method doesn't always work.

Guest specialagent
Yep, thats the best way. Using the "slingshot" method doesn't always work.

Not trying to pick a fight, but the function of a slide lock is just that, A slide lock. otherwise it would be called a slide release. The proper way to chamber a round is slide locked open insert magazine, use off hand to wrap around the top of the slide, pull the slide back as far as it goes and release to chamber a round. This should be a fluid motion and done with aggressiveness. Don't be afraid that your gonna hurt it. Trust me it cycles harder under fire. Just commenting

Guest bkelm18
Not trying to pick a fight, but the function of a slide lock is just that, A slide lock. otherwise it would be called a slide release. The proper way to chamber a round is slide locked open insert magazine, use off hand to wrap around the top of the slide, pull the slide back as far as it goes and release to chamber a round. This should be a fluid motion and done with aggressiveness. Don't be afraid that your gonna hurt it. Trust me it cycles harder under fire. Just commenting

Tomato Tomato.

.... The proper way to chamber a round is slide locked open insert magazine, use off hand to wrap around the top of the slide, pull the slide back as far as it goes and release to chamber a round. ...

Perhaps you should explain that to the engineers at Kahr and Springfield. They seem to not have as much expertise in the matter as yourself :usa:

- OS

He is refering to the model 1911, not a Kahr or an XD

Well, I won't swear it's not in the Springfield 1911 manual, too. Since I don't have one.

edit: Found Springfield 1911 manual online. Indeed, they do NOT say to use the slide release to chamber first round. But the Springfield XD does.

I thought the thread had morphed to include semi-autos in general. I confess I've never owned a 1911 (and too old to get addicted to them now!)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
add'l info
Well, I won't swear it's not in the Springfield 1911 manual, too. Since I don't have one.

edit: Found Springfield 1911 manual online. Indeed, they do NOT say to use the slide release to chamber first round. But the Springfield XD does.

I thought the thread had morphed to include semi-autos in general. I confess I've never owned a 1911 (and too old to get addicted to them now!)

- OS

No problem your Kahr and XD will serve you fine,

The thing about a 1911 is they are very finiky, picky guns unless tuned properely and used and maintained correctly they are not a good carry gun, they in my opinion are the worse guns an in-experienced owner can carry the 1911 is the absolute best design and when one is experienced with it the best carry gun IMHO but it is a gun that you should not buy the cheapest out there, the amount of handfitting and tolerances needed to make them run like a top gets expensive, that is why I advise people who want to get a $600.00 1911 to go ahead and buy a Glock

Guest benchpresspower

Looks like I stirred up a hornet's nest. IMHO I think the PT1911 is a fine weapon. May not be a Springfield or Colt or even Kimber. And no I cannot afford one that is custom or better brand, the Taurus cost me over 700. No, price doesn't always dictate quality but for what I paid I am comfortable with it. Each to their own though, maybe later down the road I will be able to snag a Springfield.