question about 1911 handgun

Guest jdavis

Looks like I stirred up a hornet's nest. IMHO I think the PT1911 is a fine weapon. May not be a Springfield or Colt or even Kimber. And no I cannot afford one that is custom or better brand, the Taurus cost me over 700. No, price doesn't always dictate quality but for what I paid I am comfortable with it. Each to their own though, maybe later down the road I will be able to snag a Springfield.

If you are happy with it and you trust your life to it, that is all that matters, I would be sure to fire several rounds of your carry round to make sure it cycles everytime, I have seen alot of 1911's choke, no price does not always dictate quality, but alot of times it does,

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest benchpresspower
If you are happy with it and you trust your life to it, that is all that matters, I would be sure to fire several rounds of your carry round to make sure it cycles everytime, I have seen alot of 1911's choke, no price does not always dictate quality, but alot of times it does,

I try to make sure I shoot at least one clip of carry ammo per range trip which is about once a month. No problems as of late.

On another note, and correct me if I am wrong. I don't own a Glock, I do have a S&W .40 Sig. I had a guy at work tell me if you broke down the Sig and the Glock 40 and set the frames side by side they would be practically the same gun/design.

I try to make sure I shoot at least one clip of carry ammo per range trip which is about once a month. No problems as of late.

On another note, and correct me if I am wrong. I don't own a Glock, I do have a S&W .40 Sig. I had a guy at work tell me if you broke down the Sig and the Glock 40 and set the frames side by side they would be practically the same gun/design.

If you are talking about the S&W (cant remember the model) .40 against the Glock, they are identical, S&W was sued by Glock for that and lost http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Sigma

Edited by willis68

Its not a "clip" the only weapon that uses a clip is an m1 Garand...a rifle. what you are referring to is correctly called a "magazine".

:rolleyes:

Just so you know.

Guest HexHead
Not trying to pick a fight, but the function of a slide lock is just that, A slide lock. otherwise it would be called a slide release. The proper way to chamber a round is slide locked open insert magazine, use off hand to wrap around the top of the slide, pull the slide back as far as it goes and release to chamber a round. This should be a fluid motion and done with aggressiveness. Don't be afraid that your gonna hurt it. Trust me it cycles harder under fire. Just commenting

Not according to Nighthawk.

Guest specialagent

This is indeed a touchy subject. I thought that forums were the place to iron this type of debate out. I was shocked when OH Shoot pointed out to me that this is being placed in handgun manual. I PM him and said that "you learn something new every day". I have been a shooter a good 25 years and have been a cop for 20 of that. I have trained and trained to shoot and instructed to shoot and trained and instructed to retain what you shoot. It is too late in my game to be changing habits that I have beat myself into by practicing and training because a hand gun manual says so. This has kept me alive thus far. What I have learned, is to accept the training or ideas if it works for YOU and throw it out if it dosen't. and yes, I have taken on designers of equipment that has failed in the field and have caused them to either refit or replace the defective parts. This happened last month with a holster company. I did not intend to stir up this much trouble over how to load a weapon. In the future I will be careful to post my 2 cents because of the sensitivity here.

Tim

... In the future I will be careful to post my 2 cents because of the sensitivity here...

:) Unlax, Tim .

It's more rare NOT to get a spirited debate on any given subject here :).

And of course, this is actually a quite civil forum compared to many you'll find; mainly because it's well policed from Tungsten and other admins/mods.

As far as the slide stop vs rack thing (which is actually a big time topic drift to begin with), I certainly I don't care how anyone initially loads their handgun. I don't even care how *I* load mine, as long as it functions correctly. I never owned but one semi-auto up until a year ago and never used slide stop on it to load first round. It wasn't until I bought Kahr PM9 that I ever even thought about loading with slide stop drop, but in researching Kahr before buying, found that first round nose-diving and jamming into feed ramp was a common problem, and that the equally common solution was to use slide stop. Then found that Kahr themselves recommend that, both from tech support AND written in the manual.

I was surprised to see that Springfield ALSO writes that method in their XD manual too, when I purchased that gun. It seems that any number of manufacturers may recommend that (note Hex's mention of Nighthawk). I'm sure it's one way to forestall user from riding the slide and not getting a good full "snap" for positive feed. And certainly more likely on a small short slide that's tougher to get a good grip on, having necessarily very stiff springs, like Kahr's line.

But anyway, don't take any fire iron debate here as anything personal. Glad you're here and please don't feel like you need to walk on eggs when you post - Lord knows few others do :rolleyes:

Mac (Oh Shoot)

Guest benchpresspower
Its not a "clip" the only weapon that uses a clip is an m1 Garand...a rifle. what you are referring to is correctly called a "magazine".

:)

Just so you know.

::cough:: I MEAN magazine. :rolleyes: