Best Bang For The Buck 1911?

Guest CK1

...long long ago in a galaxy far far away i had an expensive boutique-maker 1911 that looked a lot better than it would shoot (or jam all too often...), i got rid of it, and since have stuck to mainly hi-cap 9mm's...

that being said, i'm looking to get a 1911 again (although not an expensive one) to tinker with, and i'm hoping to not have to spend an arm and a leg to get one that's reliable, reliable enough for IDPA if i wanted... the taurus models seem like the most for the least but i haven't gotton to shoot any, anybody own one, or any other ideas on models i should check out for around 600 or so?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Rock Island Armory is by far, in my opinion, the best value in 1911s out there. They are great pistols at an affordable price. You'll rarely find someone dissatisfied with their RIA.

Guest truthsayer

I'm looking at 1911s right now, and everyone I've talked to that isn't in the business of making money based on how much I spend has suggested the RIA.

Now, the RIA is cast, right? Where as the Springer G.I. is forged?

Last week I stopped by a little shop in West Nashville to take a look around (Nashville Sporting Arms). Up until that point, all the RIAs I had ever seen were parkerized. One they had behind the counter had a very shiny finish. It didn't look to be stainless, more like nickel, or possibly chrome? I didn't get to ask, as they only had one guy behind the counter, and there were quite a few people waiting in front of me. Anyway, whatever the finish was, I thought it looked horrid. I much prefer the low-buck Springer's stainless.

Guest bkelm18
Now, the RIA is cast, right? Where as the Springer G.I. is forged?

Last week I stopped by a little shop in West Nashville to take a look around (Nashville Sporting Arms). Up until that point, all the RIAs I had ever seen were parkerized. One they had behind the counter had a very shiny finish. It didn't look to be stainless, more like nickel, or possibly chrome? I didn't get to ask, as they only had one guy behind the counter, and there were quite a few people waiting in front of me. Anyway, whatever the finish was, I thought it looked horrid. I much prefer the low-buck Springer's stainless.

It wasn't stainless. There are a few chrome RIAs floating around at there.

You should think about Kimber. You can still get thier base Custom II for a little over $600 and it probably has every mod you really need except maybe night sights.

I haven't heard too much bad about the Taurus, and even that it can run with custom Kimbers.

I HAVE heard a few warnings.

The finish could either be really thin, or damn near indestructible.

Older models have a problem with the ambi safety not being properly fitted together from the factory, and can USUALLY be fixed by putting the safety at the halfway point and pushing it all the way together. An aftermarket safety is suggested anyway, usually because people prefer a single-side safety over an ambi if they don't need it.

As well, they use Heinie Straight-8 sights, just to make sure you know. The straight 8 sights are point-of-aim, point-of-impact. Not the top of the front sight. This makes them slightly harder to aim at longer distance targets, because you cover the target with the dot.

the only RIA's i've found available are lower end models... the medallion and practical series look good on the armscor site, but i've never seen any of them in real life, and expect they cost more...

guess i want a few more bells and whistles then the RIA's i've seen so i don't end up adding the $60 skelonitized hammer, new sights, grips,etc gunsmith, gunsmith, gunsmith, i want to get one that's mostly there and maybe spend money on a match barrel or trigger work at some point, but not have to replace/upgrade anything for a while if at all...

i've been looking at the kimber custom II, except they are usually more around $700+ out the door from what i've seen, and i didn't want to say it, but the expensive 1911 that made me almost hate 1911's was a top of the line kimber...

...think my last post could use some clarification so no one who owns a kimber gets offended, i may have just gotten a bad one (or maybe victim of a poor gunsmith... i got it used), still even when it performed ok i never felt like it was worth what i paid...

seems like there are a lot more good one's available now for reasonable money then circa 2000...

Guest Tom@GunDepot

We sell a lot of Taurus 1911's with the Walnut Bulls Head grips. Everyone we have sold to our friends preform flawless plus the 75.00 rebate is a nice kicker!

Great Gun for the $$$ :D

Guest specialagent

I recently bought a Taurus 1911b (2 weeks ago)and am very pleased to report it was a very good buy. No problems. The only thing I see is getting one. When we ordered mine the Dealer said that he could'nt get any more. I don't know why. Something to do with this mad rush on gun selling. Anyway I have owned Colts and I like this one better. Now I can't speak for the Kimber but I have shot one, and it is sweet. The Springfield has some good reviews, BUT for the money the Taurus is a good buy. Especillay when you pull the trigger. SOLD!

Guest specialagent
We sell a lot of Taurus 1911's with the Walnut Bulls Head grips. Everyone we have sold to our friends preform flawless plus the 75.00 rebate is a nice kicker!

Great Gun for the $$$ :D

Can you still get them?

hmmm... the taurus $75 rebate is until 12/31/08, and even an aluminum frame model for south of 600 seems like almost too good of a deal to pass up, looks like i'll have to decide sooner rather than later... anyone with with info based on experience with the taurus is helpful...

specialagent, how many rounds through yours approx. ? what ammo have you been shooting? any set-up/maintinece needed or issues (ftf on full loaded mags, sights out of zero, sticky mag release, etc... the usual suspects)?