Best Bang For The Buck 1911?

Guest CK1

after some research on what's out there, looks like i'm going to go with a taurus... most of the reviews i've dug up have been saying the same things, 1" at 25yrds is average after break in, almost 100% reliability, and all agree it's an exceptional deal on an out of the box 1911.

i had a taurus 917 9mm that was based on the beretta 92 design that was a solid gun (actually much better than any beretta i had ever shot), so i'm confident the quality is there (in their metal guns at least) even at the lower pricepoint.

now i have to decide if i want a steel framed, or aluminum framed @ 5 ounces lighter for a little more money?

if anyone's an FFL, feel free to PM me your best price as i want to pick one up before the rebate expires.

Edited by CK1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get a Firestorm for $399.00 they have gotten excellent reviews and come with quite a few extras the RIA is lacking. That being said I got a gently used Dan Wesson for ~$850.00 and its excellent (also has factory night sights). I didnt care to go the used route since I planned on it being a daily carry...which it is.

You know, there's just something amusing about requiring a face-to-face transaction, and then not putting your location in the ad.

Happens about half the time, seems.

I've PM'd at least 3 sellers since I've been on TGO just to ask location for some stuff I was mildly interested in.

- OS

Springfield is hard to beat but the Rock Island is also a good choice. But what do I know I sent my NightHawk back and had it hard chromed

I know just what you mean about the Rock Island pistols..I'm kicking myself for giving someone else first choice on a RIA 1911 with a 4 inch barrel. I so wanted that pistol! if anyone runs across one for around 450.00 let me know! I'll buy it right now!

Guest bkelm18
I know just what you mean about the Rock Island pistols..I'm kicking myself for giving someone else first choice on a RIA 1911 with a 4 inch barrel. I so wanted that pistol! if anyone runs across one for around 450.00 let me know! I'll buy it right now!

I've searched hardcore for a commander RIA. I would love to have one as well.

Yet again, BO is messing with my chi.:hat: since he won the election you can't find one, much less buy one.. LOL!

Yeah, I get (er, I dont "get", but I understand) the panic buys on hi-cap mags, EBR goodies, and Kalashnikovia, but why the run on 1911s? I've been keeping a "loose eye" out for possibly a RIA or a stainless Springer G.I., but the market for low-buck 1911s seems to have also taken a hit as of late. Kinda annoying...

Yeah, I get (er, I dont "get", but I understand) the panic buys on hi-cap mags, EBR goodies, and Kalashnikovia, but why the run on 1911s? I've been keeping a "loose eye" out for possibly a RIA or a stainless Springer G.I., but the market for low-buck 1911s seems to have also taken a hit as of late. Kinda annoying...

well, the RIA's are some of the best, inexpensive pistols out there for folks who want a good 1911. po' man needs a way to protect himself jus like the rich man do. :hat:

ergo sum, they're scarcer than hens teeth.

Guest 70below

I can't understand why I can't hardly even find a box of .380 without going to 4 stores. But yeah, seems you can't find anything worth having right now.....people are idiots. It'll be interesting if it ends up you can buy a RIA for $450 and BO has ammo up to $75 a box.

As far as RIA, I bought one from a member on here a while back and had no problems out of it, and it shot pretty well.

Edited by 70below
back to topic
... But yeah, seems you can't find anything worth having right now....

Heck, forget EBR or 1911 stuff, CCA hasn't even been able to scare me up an XD Service in over three weeks ... I'm amazed that anyone anywhere still doesn't now own a handgun or two!

And half the newbie owners probably have never shot theirs, and never will.

- OS

Guest bkelm18
actually, I figured I'd buy it if I saw it and let you know afterwards...these days, many folks don't have the disposable income that I keep handy just in case I see a gun that I want....

You'd be suprised and the guns I run across.

Oh I have disposable income. Except in my house we call it "going further into debt". :hat:

Guest abailey362
You know, there's just something amusing about requiring a face-to-face transaction, and then not putting your location in the ad.

x google (number, not website). I am not even gonna take the time to try and hunt down the seller and find out where they are if they can't put it in a ad, especially if they specify it must be FTF

after some research on what's out there, looks like i'm going to go with a taurus... most of the reviews i've dug up have been saying the same things, 1" at 25yrds is average after break in, almost 100% reliability, and all agree it's an exceptional deal on an out of the box 1911.

i had a taurus 917 9mm that was based on the beretta 92 design that was a solid gun (actually much better than any beretta i had ever shot), so i'm confident the quality is there (in their metal guns at least) even at the lower pricepoint.

now i have to decide if i want a steel framed, or aluminum framed @ 5 ounces lighter for a little more money?

if anyone's an FFL, feel free to PM me your best price as i want to pick one up before the rebate expires.

You should be pleased with the Taurus 1911!

I have one and am very pleased.

Never any problems with it,and its actually more accurate then I am!

Parkerized Springfield Armory G.I. in the TGO classifieds now:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=323

Looks to be in good shape. If it was stainless, I'd be pretty tempted...

x google (number, not website). I am not even gonna take the time to try and hunt down the seller and find out where they are if they can't put it in a ad, especially if they specify it must be FTF

Im working on it!