Buying ammo to get brass

Hello, I was thinking of buying some loaded ammo which will eventually become brass to cycle into my reloads as my current brass gets old.

Has anyone seen anything to indicate that Blazer or UMC brass is sub-par to anything else. Looking for something with normal quality brass and also reliable ammo to put back on the shelf.

Thanks

I would only buy loaded ammo for brass if it is cost effective --- which it can be for some of the more exotic rifles and a small number of pistols.   For example, buying a box of 44mag or 45 LC for near 50 bucks to get 50 pieces of brass is not a good idea as you can get that brass much, much cheaper.    So it just depends.  

I would only buy loaded ammo for brass if it is cost effective --- which it can be for some of the more exotic rifles and a small number of pistols. For example, buying a box of 44mag or 45 LC for near 50 bucks to get 50 pieces of brass is not a good idea as you can get that brass much, much cheaper. So it just depends.

Yeah. If it costs 15 cents (without brass) to load 9mm, seems like it's more cost effective to buy the brass as part of a loaded bullet at 22-24 cents a round delivered.

Yeah. If it costs 15 cents (without brass) to load 9mm, seems like it's more cost effective to buy the brass as part of a loaded bullet at 22-24 cents a round delivered.

15 cents? What are you loading with? 

3 cents.. if it took 5 grains of powder, you are looking at over 40 bucks a pound?!
I haven't bought any in a while, but that seems a little steep.

Maybe I'm tired, but based on that math so are you. :)

7000 grains in one pound, divided by your example of 5 grains a round is 1400 rounds per pound of powder. That doesn't affect the cost of that pound, just the grains for your load affects the price per round and total number of rounds loaded.

FWIW, the last pistol powder I have bought (TiteGroup, W231, and CFE Pistol) have all been less than $22 per pound in the last 2 years and usually only $20/#.
  • Like 1

Powder 3 cents
Primer 3 cents
Bullet 9 cents (precision delta HP)

This example is using higher quality bullets so the cost is higher obviously. If you use cheaper plinking bullets you can cut that in half easily. I just bought 2k 115gr plated for $87 shipped. I'm not worried about accuracy because they won't be used in any sort of competition, just for trigger time at the range. Edited by jonathon1289

This example is using higher quality bullets so the cost is higher obviously. If you use cheaper plinking bullets you can cut that in half easily. I just bought 2k 115gr plated for $87 shipped. I'm not worried about accuracy because they won't be used in any sort of competition, just for trigger time at the range.

Where did you order them and do they have other weights? I just paid $100 for 1,000 powder coated bullets. They are also 160 grains.

This example is using higher quality bullets so the cost is higher obviously. If you use cheaper plinking bullets you can cut that in half easily. I just bought 2k 115gr plated for $87 shipped. I'm not worried about accuracy because they won't be used in any sort of competition, just for trigger time at the range.

Do you mind sharing the source? What sort if accuracy did you get with these? Thanks!
American Reloading.

https://www.americanreloading.com/en/

Their prices fluctuate with sales. They have been having various 50% off inventory reduction sales so some stuff is out of stock but their prices are normally good anyways.

I've bought brass and bullets from them before. They are good to go but can take a week or two to ship.

Accuracy wise, I have used plated bullets from several sources and they are all about the same. I dont measure pistol groups, just shoot at paper and steel. Edited by jonathon1289
  • Like 2

Thank you for the tip! Just picked up some good priced 9mm projectiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you get them? When I looked the good deals showed out of stock. All that showed in stock was 500 for around $46.

I kept seeing "this is out of stock with these options but I'm stock with others"

I found the 1000 mixed lot under the 50% off menu line almost at the top of the page.

Thanks I see those now. Looks like mixed lots of 115 and 124 grains. Won't different bullets affect the load?

Maybe I'm tired, but based on that math so are you. :)

7000 grains in one pound, divided by your example of 5 grains a round is 1400 rounds per pound of powder. That doesn't affect the cost of that pound, just the grains for your load affects the price per round and total number of rounds loaded.

FWIW, the last pistol powder I have bought (TiteGroup, W231, and CFE Pistol) have all been less than $22 per pound in the last 2 years and usually only $20/#.

Right.   2200 cents.  7000 grains.   A grain costs  roughly 1/10 pi cents each.   5 grains costs 1.5 cents roughly (half of the 3 given).  At 3, it would have cost over 40 bucks a pound (almost double what you paid).

Awesome!

Yes it will. I plan to sort once I receive them.

Sorting by projectile length, and verified by visual check?