The Mistress has arrived....

Guest bkelm18

Guest bkelm18

Just picked it up today. A CMP Service Grade M1 Garand. Springfield Armory manufactured in July of '43. It doesn't have the original stock, but I plan on replacing it with a CMP stock at some point anyway. Very little wear on any of the parts. I can't wait to get her out and have a go with her :cool:. The M1 is probably the only gun that I've wanted for as long as I can remember. Its really something to hold a piece of history and the pure elation upon hearing that "ping!" for the very first time. :D

PS: Don't say a word about the bed sheets.:shhh:

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
Nice bed sheets. Keep those from your Navy days. :D

They aren't mine. Dick. :D

Good looking Garand. Did you order it from CMP or go down and pick it out urself? I think we might be making another trip down to CMP next week to get some more rifles and ammo.

-Jason G

No, I bought it from a third party. Well, traded for it to be precise.

Guest bkelm18
Don't you worry, a lot of us shop at the Salvation Army Thrift Shop.

Nice rifle BTW, why would you change out the wood?

Its not the original wood and the hand guard doesn't match the rest of the stock. If it were original I'd leave it alone but since its not, it wont hurt anything and it will look a lot better.

Edited by bkelm18
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest mark_justmark

Where is the CMP in Mid TN?

Where are the Garands?

I want a lil red wagon full of them

Good looking Garand. Did you order it from CMP or go down and pick it out urself? I think we might be making another trip down to CMP next week to get some more rifles and ammo.

-Jason G

Where is the CMP in Mid TN?

Where are the Garands?

I want a lil red wagon full of them

There isnt one in TN. There are only two "stores" where you can go pick one out. The is one in Anniston Alabama, which it the one I have been to and there is one at Port Clinton Ohio. The trip to Anniston isnt bad about 4 hours from Nashville. They had a great selection of Garands when I was down there on Oct. 31 and Dec. 17. Go to www.thecmp.org and click on "South Store Location" on the left hand side. That website will get you squared away to go get your Garand. I got two service grades, a April 1944 Springfield and a H&R post war, they were both $595 and were in great shape. If you have any more questions just ask and I will help any way I can.

-Jason G

Guest mark_justmark
There isnt one in TN. There are only two "stores" where you can go pick one out. The is one in Anniston Alabama, which it the one I have been to and there is one at Port Clinton Ohio. ........

-Jason G

Thanks, Jason.

So that is what DaveTN meant when he stated on another post ...going to "Anniston" to pick one out. Sorry I'm new to this stuff. I sure didn't realize you could go to a location and have your pick. Too Cool!

I've been to the website and found that I DO qualify for purchase. The HCP class certificate should cover eligibility reqs. Am I correct?

"You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures.

* Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor)."

Edited by mark_justmark
further research
Guest bkelm18
Thanks, Jason.

So that is what DaveTN meant when he stated on another post ...going to "Anniston" to pick one out. Sorry I'm new to this stuff. I sure didn't realize you could go to a location and have your pick. Too Cool!

I've been to the website and found that I DO qualify for purchase. The HCP class certificate should cover eligibility reqs. Am I correct?

"You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures.

* Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor)."

Right, you also need to belong to a CMP affiliated organization as well.

Guest mark_justmark

these Garands are C&R, correct?

So we, out of state citizens, are able to purchase a Garand rifle at CMP in Anniston, Alabama AND bring it home with us? OR do we have to have it shipped to a FFL?

Guest bkelm18
these Garands are C&R, correct?

So we, out of state citizens, are able to purchase a Garand rifle at CMP in Anniston, Alabama AND bring it home with us? OR do we have to have it shipped to a FFL?

You can buy any rifle out of state and bring it home yourself. The state residency requirement only applies to handguns. And yes, they are on the C&R list.