Thinking through reloading .223... how does this sound?

Hi all,

I am new to reloading and also just bought an AR.  I won't do something if it takes a long time, so reloading rifle rounds and doing every step of case prep manually is a huge turn off (and I know other people who won't load rifle, I assume for the same or similar reasons).  Having said that, I love the idea of shooting more for the same money (because we all know I'm not going to save money, right?) and therefore have been thinking about the process I might use to reload .223 plinking rounds.

So here is what I'm thinking:

1.  Deprime and resize (yes, before cleaning... OneShot for lube)

2.  Clean with sonic cleaner (I want clean... couldn't care less about it being shiny)

3.  Trim/deburr/chamfer with Giraud Triway Trimmer http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri%20Way%20Trimmer.htm

4.  Load on Turret Press with the following:

1.  Auto-Drum

2.  Hornady Bullet Feeder

3.  Bullet Seating Die

4.  Crimping Die

I believe this operating procedure (for lack of a better term) should yield consistent results and a fair amount of rounds per hour without spending thousands.  I think maybe the only thing I haven't included is swaging.  I don't expect to be using much crimped brass.

I know there are people who refuse to use dirty brass on their resizing die, and I understand that.  I may resize after cleaning, I am going to try it before and see what happens first, though, as I have heard of others resizing dirty brass without issues.  I understand the theory of dirty brass wearing out dies more quickly, but I have yet to hear of it actually happening, only people afraid of it happening.  

I am also not 100% sure which resizing die I'm going to use, as I believe there are a couple of different options with different benefits.  I am certainly open to suggestions.  I'm planning on starting with Lee's Deluxe Die set, which I believe does neck sizing only for rifle rounds.  

Lastly, I'm not sure these need to be crimped.  I've read .223 is fine with neck tension.  What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Brandon

I clean before I resize most times, I also swage the primer pocket because I get mostly NATO cases. I also full length resize because I don't separate my reloads per rifle. I also crimp all my reloads, differing only by how much, whether it be for semi-auto or bolt, cast or copper.
  • Like 1
If I didn't enjoy reloading then I wouldn't bother doing it. Just shoot factory ammo. You are going to have to do a considerable amount of shooting to justify spending the time and money on reloading, not worth it if you do not enjoy the reloading process as well.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies, guys.

If I didn't enjoy reloading then I wouldn't bother doing it. Just shoot factory ammo. You are going to have to do a considerable amount of shooting to justify spending the time and money on reloading, not worth it if you do not enjoy the reloading process as well.

It's not that I don't enjoy it.  I just don't enjoy processing brass three or 4 times if I can do it in one or two steps instead.  Inefficiency bothers me if there's no need for it.  Just the way my mind works.  :)

Brandon

Does hornady even make the bullet feeder for rifle? I thought I read in my manual for the lnl ap that was for only pistol. I have a bullet feed die for 9mm and could never get it to feed consistently, although it isn't without is problems, the case feeder works good enough though. I would recommend tumbling over a sonic cleaner just for times sake. You either have to let it dry quite a long time or oven dry it and that is another step that you are trying to avoid. I haven't used mine to clean brass in awhile, but it does an excellent job of cleaning bolts though. 

Edit: I guess they do make one just googled it. don't know that I would fool with it personally though if it works like the pistol one I have.

Edited by tmauto769

clean before size.  Else grit can get in your die and scratch it up which leads to stuckedness.   Also beware any grit from cleaning if you use such things. 

If the brass is clean anyway (fired, caught, and all that's on it is shooting soot)  you can do it your way.