Removing the front sight bead from an 870

Angus

Ok, I have looked at you tube, and google and I am still having a hard time finding info on removing / replacing the front bead on my 870. Anyone, Beuller...Beuller?

I know it is not screwed down, but what is the best / safest way to extract it? Should I just bring the barell to a gunsmith and pay to have it done?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Should I just bring the barell to a gunsmith and pay to have it done?

Yes. I was on the verge of having it done to my 870 before I sold it. If you have a friend who is a machinist, they could remove the bead for you but most replacement sights have to be soldered on.

Your other option is to buy a replacement barrel with front sight already installed. Several Remington 870 police models came with such and the barrels are readily available. Just be mindful of the overall length of the barrel and make sure you don't cross any FFL restrictions by running something too short.

Yes. I was on the verge of having it done to my 870 before I sold it. If you have a friend who is a machinist, they could remove the bead for you but most replacement sights have to be soldered on.

Your other option is to buy a replacement barrel with front sight already installed. Several Remington 870 police models came with such and the barrels are readily available. Just be mindful of the overall length of the barrel and make sure you don't cross any FFL restrictions by running something too short.

Awww...another project for when im not broke....at this rate maybe 2010 :rolleyes: I dont know about 870's but you can find 18" factory mossberg barrels with the fiber glow front sight. Thats what I put on my ancient 500 to spurce her up from the 26" barrel.