Shooting at US Capitol

Obiwan

To me, it matters because it's not a real gun. I realize his actions were wrong. I'm not on Team Idiot here. But the buzz words of the day where shooting at Capitol. At 10 pm it's updated that he just had a BB Gun. I guess for me I'm upset with the media or whoever didn't release that fact until super late. He's an idiot for what he did. No argument there.

I am not an attorney nor an expert on this subject and I did not sleep at the Holiday Inn last night.  I do know that if you attempt to commit a crime with an unloaded or even a toy gun you will still be charged with being armed.

This was partially clarified by the Supreme Court's decision in McLaughlin v. United States, 476 U.S. 16 (1986), which held that an unloaded handgun is a "dangerous weapon" within the meaning of §  2113(d). The rationale of the McLaughlin decision can be extended to situations involving simulated weapons such as authentic appearing toy guns and hoax bomb devices.

Edited by MP5_Rizzo

I am not an attorney nor an expert on this subject and I did not sleep at the Holiday Inn last night. I do know that if you attempt to commit a crime with an unloaded or even a toy gun you will still be charged with being armed.

This was partially clarified by the Supreme Court's decision in McLaughlin v. United States, 476 U.S. 16 (1986), which held that an unloaded handgun is a "dangerous weapon" within the meaning of § 2113(d). The rationale of the McLaughlin decision can be extended to situations involving simulated weapons such as authentic appearing toy guns and hoax bomb devices.

I'm not disputing that or him being shot. Hell, he's a creep who clearly has mental issues. I was merely pointing out the media not getting the story straight about his BB gun until 10pm. Maybe they didn't know, maybe that fact wasn't released. I just don't like inaccurate information when it's a crime committed with a gun. Don't get me started on Morgan Spurlock.

The man needs to be put away for quite a while and also needs psych treatment. He's clearly a man who has mental issues and the sexual predator attempts because it's "gods will" stories during his bus driving days are wacko too.
  • Like 1

I'm not disputing that or him being shot. Hell, he's a creep who clearly has mental issues. I was merely pointing out the media not getting the story straight about his BB gun until 10pm. Maybe they didn't know, maybe that fact wasn't released. I just don't like inaccurate information when it's a crime committed with a gun. Don't get me started on Morgan Spurlock.

The man needs to be put away for quite a while and also needs psych treatment. He's clearly a man who has mental issues and the sexual predator attempts because it's "gods will" stories during his bus driving days are wacko too.

Could be many things, info not released, media spin (bb guns don't get ratings), or simply reported way too soon before all facts were known.  That is why I wait for a bit before really getting into a story, its way too easy to get worked up about something when a little time can clarify everything, well most everything. 

• Like 1

Could be many things, info not released, media spin (bb guns don't get ratings), or simply reported way too soon before all facts were known.  That is why I wait for a bit before really getting into a story, its way too easy to get worked up about something when a little time can clarify everything, well most everything. 

Pick any sensational story in the last decade or more. The Media NEVER gets it right out of the box. The rush for ratings and the scoop makes them reckless with the truth. This is where our own ability to think critically is important. Just because someone else jumps to a conclusion doesn't mean we have to do the same... 

The "News" is rarely actually news anymore. there are too many information sources now and they only way they can compete is to be "First on the Scene" with the most sensational story possible. They add drama in a hurry rather than research the facts.