suggestions on how to video monitor long distance driveway?

seez52

I know some of you here are into security installations and cameras and I have a couple of questions. Here's what I've got:

I have a fairly long drive that I'd like to monitor. Currently I have a wireless sensor that lets me know a vehicle has been detected, but sometimes I'd like to see what's coming rather than just waiting on it. The sensor is probably 2200 ft. as the crow flies.

Camera location would be too far for cat5, it's probably about 800 ft. There is no power at the camera location so it would need to be solar. I do have a single pair of wires to the location, they are about 18ga if I remember correctly and about 800 ft. long.

What I'd like to do is be able to view an image or video when the sensor trips. Wondering if some sort of wifi repeater might work if that's possible. Not sure what type of power the repeaters require. And of course there's the issue of the whole system working in such a way so that the images are available in near real time.

Is this possible? 

Many cameras are 12v anyway. A quick Google search shows several wifi 12v cameras available. I'm thinking a car battery with a solar charger. Then maybe some directional repeaters.

Another option might be fiber optics.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Not an expert, but have a buddy who installed an interior plug and play with real time video to smartphone /tablet/laptop with Internet access.

Cameras were located by outlet for power, from there everything is wireless. With the proper equipment, Im guessing an exterior system would be a snap.

To offset the distance problem, could you mount the camera closer to house looking down the length of the driveway or do you want to see what's happening by the road?

Add a couple of bucks to your budget and can get some pretty cool James Bond susurveillance stuff
I'd be interested in this too. I have a long own hilarious driveway as well no line of sight to the house maybe 200' elevation difference.

No piwer, but will be adding a solar gate and should have lots of available battery power.

I'd prefer a WiFi solution but haven't started looking at the possibilities.