Shotgun for a 3gun convert.

O.K. I will admit I am intrigued by 3Gun.

I started shooting IDPA and I like it. 3Gun is a next logical step to try out. BUT, I need a shotgun. I am leaning tword a Mossberg 500 .

Thoughts? I know .. plastic trigger.

Also two related equipment questions. If I wanted to put a sighting system (Irons) on it, what is legal.

My regular rifle puts me in an Optics class.

And what is a good system to carry Shotgun Ammo for a new guy who needs to learn the skills.

I know I can read rule books ect. But I am looking for opinions and practical experience.

If you're looking to get in the game as cheaply as possible, look into a Maverick 88 as an alternative to the Mossberg 500.  As someone who started off with my old 870, though, believe me when I say that running a pump gets old quick.  You will be much better off with an automatic shotgun.  Look into a Stoeger M3K or Mossberg 930 JM for budget options.  

I prefer to not have a front and rear sight on my shotgun.  I like the HiViz tri-comp fiber optic front sight, and I have not had any problems making slug shots. I have seen some people cut a dovetail into their rib so a pistol rear sight can be installed, though.  Any kind of irons are legal for Practical division; electronic or optical sights on your shotgun will bump you to Unlimited (i.e. Open).   

"Load 2" or "deuces" is the easiest loading method to learn.  Basically, you grab two shells inline and shove them both into the mag tube with one stroke.  There's also the "quads" method where you grab 4 shells at a time, but, for me, that method is easier to fumble.  i would look for shell carriers that allow you to use both the load 2 and quads methods.  The good carriers are all pretty expensive, but Taccom is a good bang for your buck.  Invictus practical and Carbon Arms are a couple of other good sources.  You'll probably want to be able to carry at least 20 extra shells, if necessary.

This sounds like a good deal and its helping a fellow Tn Gun Owner......

Just my 2 cents..

I started years ago with a Remington 1100, was told not to use it.  I wished I listened! The next was a Versa Max and I really liked it, and used it for several years.  I shot it in several big matches and it ran like a champ.  The only issue I had and you can find out on your own is; shooting slugs and shooting them accurately.  I just started this year with the Beretta 1301 and love it.  I would say start off cheap, but in the long run you would be better off saving and buying a good shotgun that runs, instead of going to a match and the shotgun tanks and now you are standing with a several hundred dollar club.  Just my 2 cents, I enjoy 3 gun!  You cant find any better bunch of folks than 3 gunners!  Also go to Brain Enos forums and read up on all kinds of questions, questions that you have never thought of yet...........

I use a Steoger M3000. It's awesome for 3gun and a great price. I opened up the loading port, installed a Nordic tube and a Benelli bolt handle. Shoots and handles great. I was using an 1100 but wanted a Benelli. I did some reading/YouTube watching, and went with the Steoger instead. I would do the same again.

Bad cell phone pic, but here's my Stoeger M3000. I dremeled the loading port. I wouldn't be happier if I'd have paid an additional $2000. I bought it new for $450ish.

If I just felt like I wanted to spend more money, I think I'd get the Berretta 1301.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Started with 870 18" barrel, then tried 500 20" barrel. 2 matches is all it took to realize I was undergunned. I went with the beretta 1301 comp, added +5 Nordic tube and couldn't be happier. It is way fast, cycles everything and comes with extended controls. 

I will say one thing, it's the shooter to some extent. My buddy runs a beat browning A5 and keeps up with no issues.