Looking for Gunsmith near Chattanooga

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to take the whole thing apart unless it's broken.  Field strip it, remove the grips, and soak the whole thing in solvent. Blow it clean/dry with compressed air, lube, and reassemble. 

Edited by peejman
Not sure what the deal is with the formatting.

Hoppes would work fine, though a  vat of it large enough to immerse the whole gun would be pricey. 

Since it's all stainless, most any solvent should work fine. I'd try hot, soapy water and an old toothbrush and see how far that got me before I started with more aggressive chemicals. 

I have come to use only one method of quickie cleaning any fire control groups that are in good working order. Get a can of Wal-Mart Engine starting fluid and have a compressor with a blow gun capable of 100+ psi. The starting fluid cuts oily grime like nothing else and comes out of the can in a powerful stream. While still dripping wet from the spray, blow the action out clean. The engine starting fluid air dry's quickly. Then just lightly re-lube and your done. Dried oily grime may need a tooth brush type brushing while wet with the staring fluid.

I used to soak guns in Brownell de-solve cleaner. A suitable substitute is simple green. Mix it a bit strong , soak it for an hour, scrub with an m16 brush and blow it out with air. Canned air will work in a pinch too. If it's really grungy soak it a second time.

When you're done hose it out good with Hornady one shot to get rust preventive into all the tight spots, lightly grease and put the grips back on and assemble.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner from Wal Mart is what I use when I can not break down all the parts.  I blow it out with a air compressor, then I give it some Hoppie #9, then a second blowing with air.  Oil and grease appropriately.  Make sure it is the non-chlorinated type.  The other stuff will mess up a gun.