TVA dyke failure

J Smith

Don't now if this has made national news but about 1:00 am this morning a dike at the Kingston steam plant broke.It washed one house into the middle of a street and damaged about a dozen others.I took pics this morning with my camera.This is an area that I Crapie fish a lot.It is now full of dirt and sludge.The dike wall was around 100 ft high,covered the rail road tracks,and road at the other end of where I got the pics.You can really tell from the pics but it looked like a mountain had fell into the lake.One person was trapped in the house that was washed into the street but so far no reported deaths.Good thing it happened at night or there would have been a few fishermen in its path.I had just made plans with a friend of mine last night for a Crapie trip on Friday at the culberts that were completely covered by this.

Pics are from the far end of the lake,could not get close enough to the area we fish.

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fishing buddy just sent me this pic from the upper end.

The bank under the van used to be at least 50 ft down to where the water used to be.

These pics are just a very small area of this,the chopper view on the news showed just how big of a mess it is.

Link to the news report with chopper footage.

Heard a little while ago that TVA knew it had been leaking for the past 3 months,bet you won't hear that on the news.

http://www.volunteertv.com/

100_2692.jpg

Guest Verbal Kint
I'll admit it... I immediately started searching for Rosie O'Donell themed "Fails", and couldn't find any... woe is me... dyke is she.

My Christmas gift to you... :D

rosie-oterror.jpg

Guest canynracer
6 posts... and Bkelm chimed in... and not a single joke about the use of "dyke". You guys disappoint me. :D

No worries..I am sure Strick will be along soon....he hears something, but he isnt sure where its coming from...he is kinda like "The Todd"

Reg.1314.8.jpg

Guest sharpshooter01

There was an island that paralleled the steam plant dyke that we use to duck hunt, lots of people hunted that area. From the pics I have seen of the island, it is nothing but sludge with some trees sticking up through it. I'm sure if this had happened anytime from an hour or so before daylight through noon someone would have probably been out there hunting, or fishing for that matter, I just don't see anyone getting out of the way of this in time to save there self. From what I heard on the news, there was a big wave that messed up some boat houses on the other side of the lake. As bad as this was it could have been worse if it had happened later in the morning while people were out hunting , fishing or just working in there yards. Prayers for the families.