Clean my handguns to much?

JeffsSig

Am I crazy to feel like this?

I cannot go to bed knowing I have a dirty handgun setting around.

The other day after shooting a few in the backyard I was rushed to be someplace with the wife. So I locked up a DIRTY Gun to make our appointment on time.

We came home around 11pm and I went straight to cleaning my gun that I had fired only 12 rounds in.

The wife asked me if I had not just cleaned that gun and had only fired it just those few times in the backyard? She also stated she didn’t feel that cleaning a gun every time one is fired is needed.

-- My reply was ( In my head) Go to bed woman. It is my gun my time and Ill do what I feel is needed. --

So I stopped cleaning and went to bed to only get up 2 hours latter to finish.

SO:

Am I crazy to feel like this?

I cannot go to bed knowing I have a dirty handgun setting around.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest flyfishtn

I clean after shooting unless other items get in the way.

If it has to sit a few days, then so be it but they get cleaned within a week of shooting.

BTW, the official psychological term is anal retentive. ;)

Guest Astra900

If it's an auto loader, I do get a wee bit picky on cleaning them, my revolvers, not quite the rush. My 2 revolvers are stainless steel, I keep 'em clean, but I don't obsess over it.

Atleast I know now and I can sleep with not thinking about it....

No you can't.

- My reply was ( In my head) Go to bed woman. It is my gun my time and Ill do what I feel is needed. --
Well, you had THAT part right, but only if you said it aloud.

- OS

Guest 70below

If I took my HD gun out and shot it, I would clean it as soon as I got home or at least prepare another clean gun in its place until it was clean. I always clean my guns after every use with the exception of if I only shoot a mag or two through, and plan on going back to the range the next day. It might be two or three days before I have time to clean it, but I will clean it after every use. I did test my Glock 22 out once to see how long I could go without cleaning it.....it outlasted me. I think I only made it about 1000rds.

As others have said,I clean mine but it may be the following day.I try to go to the range once a week and when I go I shoot 5 or 6 diff pistols.With the way my phone rings it takes all day to clean 5 guns

Guest truthsayer

Every gun in my home gets cleaned after it is shot. I'll usually run a clean patch through any that I'm going to take to the range with me. That's part of the fun (for me, at least).

My carry gun was dirtier before I shot it Saturday than it was afterwards......

Let me explain, I haven't shot in awhile, there was so much lint on and in it when I shot it, I am surprised it didn't "flash" when I fired the first round! It was a little dry to, I do make sure it is oiled in the appropriate spots. After all the lint burned off, it was cleaner, when finished shooting it still wasn't as dirty...

I haven't cleaned it yet either. I am in the morning though.

Guest REDDOG79

you are all anal retentive. :dropjaw:

I went shooting christmas day (I was lucky to find the time to go then)

I just got around to cleaning my guns tonight (Monday)

I shot 50 rds of 357 mag and 50 rds of 38 through my dad's Ruger Security Six (stainless)

I don't know how many 22 LR rounds through the new Beretta Neos U22 (prolly 300 or so)

a couple cyulinders worth in the Taurus Mdl 94 22 LR (which is also stainless)

and fired two magazines of my carry ammo in my Kimber

and fired 80 rds through the Saiga 7.62 x 39 (it's an AK so it shouldn't matter)

They are not any worse for wear for waiting until tonight to clean them.

The funny thing is I decided to clean an old Springfield bolt action 22 that was my grandfathers tonight and found the barrel obstructed by something. I got it cleared and while there is a small bit of rust in the bore it really doesn't look that bad.

there's my :2cents: now let the flaming begin:):):)

Kirby

Guest gates3050

Clean your weapons and sleep well,I derive a certain amount of pride in having clean firearms.One other thing to consider,It may not be as important how often you clean them but what you clean them with.

Guest johnmattwill

Any and every time I have been to the range and fired mine, I have not gone to bed , nor will not go to bed unless I have cleaned and lubed mine.....:screwy:

I especially dont like to carry mine dirty, I always have to clean and give a fresh splashing of TW25B and Slide Glide to my carry gun.....

Anal retentive I HAVE been called before!!!!! :rofl: I take it as a compliment!!!!

I don't think you're crazy, anal retentive yes, but not crazy. I also try to clean my guns after shooting them, though sometimes in the past it has been a day or two and apparently like you experience, there's that nagging feeling that I must get to them. To me, cleaning them up after a day at the range is all part of the fun and enjoyment of the hobby. I do have a .22 Thompson Center Rifle I bought from Kahrman last year that I shoot in the backyard weekly on average that gets cleaned every once in a while. Other than that, all of mine are sparkling clean all of the time

:screwy:.

Maybe one can look at like this?

When you use the bathroom do you wipe?

When you work hard and get all dirty do you take a shower that night?

Do you brush your teeth after you eat or atleast at night?

A shooter is only as good as his gun thus I treat them as I treat myself.

Yes I am A.R. and Ill be the founding memeber.:)

I clean mine every time I shoot. This is true, even if I shoot only 1 round. Not that I shoot only one round very often, but in the event I do, it get's cleaned.

Waiting until the next day is not generally an option for me. If something were to come up that was more important than cleaning my guns, at the very least, I'll soak it down with some CLP for a next day cleaning. That's VERY rare.