Clean my handguns to much?

JeffsSig

Maybe one can look at like this?

When you use the bathroom do you wipe?

When you work hard and get all dirty do you take a shower that night?

Do you brush your teeth after you eat or atleast at night?

A shooter is only as good as his gun thus I treat them as I treat myself.

Yes I am A.R. and Ill be the founding memeber.:)

You're asking these questions to a bunch of southerners. Do you really want the answers to those questions?

I kid, I kid!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe one can look at like this?

When you use the bathroom do you wipe?

When you work hard and get all dirty do you take a shower that night?

Do you brush your teeth after you eat or atleast at night?

A shooter is only as good as his gun thus I treat them as I treat myself.

Yes I am A.R. and Ill be the founding memeber.:tough:

Yeah but your gun doesn't have s*** on it!

Its also not going to smell funny,and turn to crust after a couple days

I clean mine whenever i use it, that is if i get a chance and nothing else comes up. I am pretty obsessive compulsive when it comes to keeping my guns clean. I want to know without a doubt that my gun will fire when it needs to and me cleaning it has been part of a ritual that i practice in order for me to feel more confident about it. But thats just me...

I have been told many times "more guns are ruined by improper or over cleaning than by shooting" and after reading this thread I believe it. For me it depends on the gun and type of ammo. My Glocks get wiped and lubed if necessary, usually just wiped(and that is to keep the fouling off of me). My SS handguns will get cleaned when they get funky, if I shoot a few test load in the back yard they are not funky enough yet. Blued guns get a lot more attention, the outsides stay Rigged (that is Rig Gun Grease). My rifles get cleaned less often, usually every 50 rounds or so or until groups start opening up. I shoot them a lot less so it takes a while to get to 50+, but they get wiped every time they are handled, again with a Rig rag. Never had a rust issue, guns group and function perfectly. Again, the guns I don't worry about, runs dry, runs wet, runs dirty, just runs, the dreaded GLOCK.

Guest gcrookston

There was a time back in the 1980's and 90's when the Marines cleaned more guns out of service than they shot out of service. I don't know what the ratio is today.

Breaking down a gun causes more wear than a typical trip to the range. Depending upon the extent of your shooting and cleaning, I do not recommend breaking down a gun for cleaning but every 1,000 rounds or so. God gave us Bore Snakes and Q-tips in order for us to avoid abusing our weapons.

Even my match rifles and pistols only get broken down for cleaning about every 1,000 rounds... but they get bore snaked and lubed with qtips after every trip to the range (some of them get snaked every 10 -20 rounds), depends on the situation/weapon.

I usually bring about half a dozen guns to shoot, so it might take me about a year to get 1,000 rounds out of any of them. I'll only break down and clean my M1a/M21 and my M41 when they malfunction. In the case of my M1a, it might be every 2,000 rounds, in my M41, it might be every 5,000 rounds. But each gets snaked and qtip lube after every trip to the range (the M1a gets snaked every 20 rounds).

On the otherhand, a 1911 designed pistol should be broken down (field stipped) about every 500 rounds and cleaned. A Luger, every 150 rounds. Really depends on the design and use of the weapon. A 1911 type can get really unrealiable after 500 rounds, whereas a P2XX series can run for about 1,000 rounds. A Luger (P08), gets gunked up after about 100 rounds. Rifles such as the M1a can run about 1,000 rounds comfidently before it begins to have extraction problems, but an HK 9 series (91, 93), will begin to experience extraction problems at about 2,000 rounds.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest canynracer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive-compulsive_disorder

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental disorder most commonly characterized by intrusive, repetitive thoughts resulting in compulsive behaviors and mental acts that the person feels driven to perform, according to rules that must be applied rigidly, aimed at preventing some imagined dreaded event; however, these behaviors or mental acts are not connected to the imagined dreaded event.

:popcorn:

Guest gcrookston
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive-compulsive_disorder

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental disorder most commonly characterized by intrusive, repetitive thoughts resulting in compulsive behaviors and mental acts that the person feels driven to perform, according to rules that must be applied rigidly, aimed at preventing some imagined dreaded event; however, these behaviors or mental acts are not connected to the imagined dreaded event.

:up:

I married her and resent the remark. But my guns remain uncleaned....

;)

I clean my pistols every 1000 rounds or so whether they need it or not.

I think this is something that is more common among competition shooters. I cannot imagine cleaning a gun every time I shot it. I don't even clean my 1911 often. For the heck of it I shot it at a match last month, it is a stainless gun the front few inches of the slide was so black and grungy that the SO gave me some good natured grief over it. BTW it ran flawless for the match and no I still haven't cleaned it.

Edited by gsbell
I kant spel
Guest db99wj
I think this is something that is more common among competition shooters. I cannot imagine cleaning a gun every time I shot it. I don't even clean my 1911 often. For the heck of it I shot it at a match last month, it is a stainless gun the front few inches of the slide was so black and grungy that the SO gave me some good natured grief over it. BTW it ran flawless for the match and no I still haven't cleaned it.

I still haven't cleaned mine from Saturday;). I think I will field strip, wipe and oil a few spots, it does have some lint on it from carrying. Other than that, she is good to go.