Welcome to Tennessee Gun Owners

Welcome to Tennessee Gun Owners -- The Premier Website for Tennessee Firearms Owners and Enthusiasts

If you have an account with us, please Sign In.

If you do not have an account, register now for one! It's 100% free and easy to do. »» Join TGO Now ««

As a member of Tennessee Gun Owners you can...
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Edible Plants in Middle TN Ref. Book?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sigbear

sigbear

TGO Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Can anyone recommend a book on edible plants & berries in Middle TN?

Thanks,

Sigbear

#2 whiskey

whiskey

TGO Senior Member

• Subject Matter Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:19 AM

I don't know of any books that are specific to middle Tennessee, but Peterson's Field Guide is probably the most popular for wild edible plants in North America. There is also a Peterson's that is related to Eastern and Central North America. That might help narrow it down.

I have found wild river plums, blackberries, and persimmons close to home. I have been wanting to get a guide and do some identifying too. I will probably do some of this during the spring and summer this year. I have mushroom guide and have done a little 'shrooming the last couple springs.

#3 broylz

broylz

TGO Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

i am going to look into that book as well. always good to know whats around

#4 Oh Shoot

Oh Shoot

Doubts Most Everything

• TGO Benefactor
  • 23,073 posts
Carry Permit Holder NRA Member

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

One universal tip. You can't get any nutrition to speak of out of grass, but humans CAN eat and digest clover. White or red. Leaves best of course, but stems and roots too. Can even dry the flowers and make flour.

Also, pokeweed abounds here and there all over the state. Best in spring, but can eat all summer if you had to. Read up on it. Berries are poisonous, actually whole plant is slightly so, toxins removed by boiling though (but NOT the berries, don't eat THEM).

- OS

Edited by OhShoot, 17 February 2012 - 02:20 AM.

#5 inspecting1

inspecting1

TGO Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

http://www.campingsu...poisplanof.html

These are kinda cool and transportable

#6 peejman

peejman

TGO Senior Member

• TGO Benefactor
  • 5,379 posts
Carry Permit Holder NRA Member

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

Be very careful. As Chris McCandless discovered, it can be very difficult to distinguish between good and bad. Test everything to make sure you're not allergic prior to eating.

#7 ochretoe

ochretoe

TGO Newcomer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
Carry Permit Holder Law Enforcement

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

This is a link to a book I learned about this past week in a conferance I was at. It covers the Tn. region.

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/0976626608

#8 analog_kidd

analog_kidd

TGO Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
Carry Permit Holder

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

I just bought Peterson's Edible Wild Plants book.Seems to be well laid out. There are a few pages of color photographs, but every other page that describes the plants has hand drawn black and white pictures. The descriptions are good, and they give good information on the plan't usage. There is also an index in the back of the book organized by use, so if you want to fix a salad, you can go to the greens section and it will list all plants that could be used in a salad.

I'd love to do an outing in the woods and look for some of these plants. Anybody know of some plants that can be found in East TN that are edible that could get me started? The book covers eastern and central N. America, so there is a lot that I'm sure doesn't grow around here. There is so much in the book its almost too hard to get started.
  • Shep Stoner308 likes this

#9 bigwakes

bigwakes

TN Tactical Supply

• Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
Carry Permit Holder Military

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Got a book titled Wild Edible Plants by John Kallas for the Kindle for $.99. And an app for my iPhone that seems decent and gets updates called Wild Edibles.

#10 Timestepper

Timestepper

Reluctant Ballistically Induced Subcutaneous Aperture Recipient.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
Carry Permit Holder Military

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

I'd love to do an outing in the woods and look for some of these plants. Anybody know of some plants that can be found in East TN that are edible that could get me started? The book covers eastern and central N. America, so there is a lot that I'm sure doesn't grow around here. There is so much in the book its almost too hard to get started.

Easiest and best - Nature's supermarket, the lowly cattail.

After that, dandelion, plantain, fiddle head ferns, blackberry & wild strawberry just to name a few.

#11 Makiaveli

Makiaveli

TGO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Got a book titled Wild Edible Plants by John Kallas for the Kindle for $.99. And an app for my iPhone that seems decent and gets updates called Wild Edibles.

You got a deal...it's almost $8 atm.....

While I'm here, anyone know of any citrus trees that will grow around here? Not looking for an orchard, just wanting to start some apple/pear trees in the "back forty" as it were. Which got me to wondering, would oranges or something similar survive? Not thrive obviously, but one more thing to have growing semi wild.

#12 subsonic

subsonic

TGO Newcomer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts
Carry Permit Holder

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

While I'm here, anyone know of any citrus trees that will grow around here? Not looking for an orchard, just wanting to start some apple/pear trees in the "back forty" as it were. Which got me to wondering, would oranges or something similar survive? Not thrive obviously, but one more thing to have growing semi wild.

No, too cold in the winter. You'd need a greenhouse. Some friends in Ashland City have a nursery business and babysit citrus trees for people, they have some pretty good sized trees.

#13 Makiaveli

Makiaveli

TGO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

No, too cold in the winter. You'd need a greenhouse. Some friends in Ashland City have a nursery business and babysit citrus trees for people, they have some pretty good sized trees.

Ah well, at least I didn't try and achieve an epic fail. I would love a green house, and it is on my list of things to do, right after the #1 thing which is to win the lottery :)

Oops, meant to say Thanks for the info....was a rough day but that's no reason to be rude.

Edited by Makiaveli, 03 April 2012 - 10:35 PM.