Where do bulk online gun sellers get all their used guns? Found out where one does...

Ronald_55

OK, the bug bit hard enough that I made my first on-line gun buy from Gunbroker... I am already calling it GunBroke because I see it to be really addicting.

I noticed the seller had a lot of worn used guns but a good mix of really good stuff and junk. I talked to them and off-hand asked where they come up with all their guns. I assumed they were a huge Pawn chain or something. I was floored by his answer..not the where, but the volume...

He said they have deals with a lot of Police departments all around the US and they buy confiscated guns and decommissioned department guns. So anything legal can be sold after the court stuff is done. Ok, I have heard of it, that is not a big deal. He said they just got in 1500 guns from Mobile AL....wait 1500?? Yep...I heard right. That floored me.

He went on to tell me that one PD was engraving Case numbers into the guns and he had just gotten in a shiny Colt Commander in minty condition except for the freshly engraved case numbers on the frame, slide, barrel, and magazine...OUCH..

Just thought I would share... :)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

I guess it's better than destroying them, like CA does.

https://www.municode.com/library/ca/oakland/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TIT9PUPEMOWE_CH9.36WE_ARTIIFIWEVIPR_9.36.110FIWEONDI

9.36.110 - Firearms and weapons—Confiscation and disposal.

Any firearm or projectile weapon discharged within the boundaries of the city in violation of the provisions of Section 9.36.080 is declared to be a nuisance, and shall be surrendered to the Police Department of the city. The Chief of Police, except upon the certificate of a judge of a court of record, or of the District Attorney of Alameda county that the preservation thereof is necessary or proper to the ends of justice, shall destroy or cause to be destroyed such firearms and projectile weapons, provided however, that in the event any such firearm or projectile weapon is determined to have been stolen, the same shall not be destroyed but shall be returned to the lawful owner as soon as its use as evidence has been served, upon identification of the firearm or projectile weapon and proof of ownership thereof.

10 minutes ago, Omega said:

Definitely, because I do not care to buy a gun that has numbers engraved in it for 1/10th the new price or something like that. Not the gun's fault that some guy got arrested for meth (or something) and it just happened to be in his house. I am sure any that are related to really bad or high profile cases get kept there or destroyed.

9 minutes ago, 300winmag said:

Some places auction confiscated guns off at the courthouses.  You can get a good deal if you know what you are looking for.

I always keep my eye out for stuff like that but I never see it going on.

My Papaw was a LEO for the county. I know he said multiple times they would take a truckload of guns to the dump. They dug a hole, dumped them in, and set them on fire with diesel. Then they ran the dozer over them before covering them up. Always made me sad. Not sure if those were the illegal guns or all of them.

I know a few places sell guns on govdeals.com, but you have to be an FFL to buy those.

Like someone said in my post about auction sites, the internet has ruined lucking into great deals for the most part. Everyone knows they can advertise them and they can look up what they have been selling for. I don't want to cheat anyone, but I would love to run into someone who just wanted rid of the guns they just inherited at a good deal. They get cash and I get some good guns. Then maybe I could sell a few to recoup part of my investment. I know I am dreaming. This is why I should have started buying guns in my 20s.

24 minutes ago, 300winmag said:

Some places auction confiscated guns off at the courthouses.  You can get a good deal if you know what you are looking for.

Ours used to do this. I've even seen the game warden auction guns there. If it happens anymore, I'm not aware of it.

41 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

.....My Papaw was a LEO for the county. I know he said multiple times they would take a truckload of guns to the dump. They dug a hole, dumped them in, and set them on fire with diesel. Then they ran the dozer over them before covering them up. Always made me sad. Not sure if those were the illegal guns or all of them

33 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Ours used to do this. I've even seen the game warden auction guns there. If it happens anymore, I'm not aware of it.

Well, anymore, as far as confiscated/buy back weapons, any guns in TN that aren't kept for use by a LEA  must go through some conduits for "public sale", as they can't be destroyed unless are inoperable or unsafe.

All covered in 39-17-1317

I don't know where the statute is regarding disposal of LEA departmental purchased weapons.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
1 hour ago, gun sane said:

All I can say is, if you buy a used gun through a confiscation sale, LEO auction or anywhere else, you better hang on to the bill of sale.  

I agree, I save the info digitally and then print a copy to put with my stuff.

I've been meaning to look into these auctions just to see what I could find or if there was something that I couldn't live without. Usually not that lucky though. Working 2 jobs gives me a few extra dollars in the pocket but leaves me short on time. I've heard of of auction house near me that does it and even lists what's up for auction. I'll have to look back in my notes to see who it is...

I would love to get a chance at some of these before they get into a bidding war online. Even a beat up HiPoint 9mm usually goes for $75 on there. Then you have shipping and transfer fees. I know you can find gems, but me and 40,000 other people are looking. So time and smart searching is what finds you something once in a while. 

The gun I ordered was pretty scuffed up, but solid mechanically (at least the description detailed that). That and it is not the most sought after model is what let me get a decent deal on it. I would not call it a steal or anything though.

I was looking today at single shot 12ga shotguns. You would think you could find one that was not held together with duct tape for $75 if you are not picky on brand, barrel length, and cosmetics. Seems to not be the case. Maybe the really cheap ones do not get listed because it is too much trouble for the small return. Or I am too much of a cheapskate. 

I have a friend that does the local auction circuit looking for guns. He scores sometimes, but the last time he bought 3 guns at one auction they all turned out to be stolen. The auction house had to take them back, refund his money, and forfeit them to the police. Sad day for him because he got good deals on them and they all were really nice older revolvers.