Mil-spec triggers...don't suck?

MrJones79

Depends on which "mil-spec" we are talking about. NSWC Crane approved the Geissele for use a few years ago, so yea I'd say that one doesn't suck :) But no thanks on a old standard issue M4 trigger. I've come to the conclusion that a good trigger and optic matter a lot more than what brand rifle they are in. 

15 minutes ago, gjohnsoniv said:

Nothing wrong with mil-spec, they can be cleaned up easily and be nice triggers.  The thing is as an individual I don't have to worry about the price of one part in a rifle, because I'm not buying 20k rifles. So why not get the best you can get?

I guess it depends, I'm not earning anything off of them, in competition or resale.  All my guns and rifles will achive my goal, whether thats getting sub-MOA, CNS shots if needed, or just chasing that can around the range.   But I have seen way too many ARs for sale that are priced quite high, not that they're not worth it or anything, just that the sticker shock is there, unless you delve into the specs and price them out.  But for the average buyer, a casual scan will probably put them off.  I guess it applies to the higher end guns and knives as well, most, unless they are really desirable, won't sell at their actual value.  So yes, I can afford a good trigger, but will I get $100-$300 out of said trigger, I doubt it.  

Even scopes I skimp on,  somewhat, there is no way I'm putting a 1k scope on a rifle I purchased for under that amount.  The most expensive optic, that didn't come mounted on an acquisition, is the night scope (with a coupon and free shipping) and that was a present to myself,...still get pangs about it too.  All I need is decent glass, and an aiming reference, most times I don't go above 4 power, even though most my scopes go to at least 9.

30 minutes ago, Omega said:

I guess it depends, I'm not earning anything off of them, in competition or resale.  All my guns and rifles will achive my goal, whether thats getting sub-MOA, CNS shots if needed, or just chasing that can around the range.   But I have seen way too many ARs for sale that are priced quite high, not that they're not worth it or anything, just that the sticker shock is there, unless you delve into the specs and price them out.  But for the average buyer, a casual scan will probably put them off.  I guess it applies to the higher end guns and knives as well, most, unless they are really desirable, won't sell at their actual value.  So yes, I can afford a good trigger, but will I get $100-$300 out of said trigger, I doubt it.  

Even scopes I skimp on,  somewhat, there is no way I'm putting a 1k scope on a rifle I purchased for under that amount.  The most expensive optic, that didn't come mounted on an acquisition, is the night scope (with a coupon and free shipping) and that was a present to myself,...still get pangs about it too.  All I need is decent glass, and an aiming reference, most times I don't go above 4 power, even though most my scopes go to at least 9.

Well, unless it's a name brand factory rifle, an AR-15 is a collection of parts. And, a good trigger like a Geiselle holds it's value pretty well, even if you gotta sell it by itself. I agree, sticker shock is a big problem when you use good parts in home brewed rifles.

8 hours ago, Omega said:

I certainly don't disagree with any of that. For the most part though I don't intend on selling any of my home builds so worrying about resale is at the bottom of the list. Then again I'm just a particular person who likes nice things so far as guns go, it's why I've really stopped buying off the shelf for the most part.