Finally did it!

Guest cyberglock21

Guest cyberglock21

Newbie here and a newbie concealed carry.:D Got it in Dec. and when I carry, I left my gun in the car till today!

Dropped wife off at Wal-Mart and I went shooting at Top Brass in Millington. After I was done, wife still shopping so I gathered up the courage to go in! I lit a cig :rolleyes: to smoke and walked to the door to deliberately read all signs to make sure there was no sign. As I finished cig, and nervous as h**l, I went in! I carry a Glock 21 with just a generic holster till I can get a better one (sold out everywhere) I had my shirt tail out and a big coat over it.

I was kinda looking at a couple people to see if thet saw anything. Usually just a passing glance. Talked and walked around with wife awhile shopping then I broke off to magazine rack. Went back to wife awhile then back to the car. Took gun off in car, put in center console and proceeded to smoke about 10 cigs. Man what an experience! Wife done, went back in without gun and kinda felt naked without it.

She didn't get everything there so we went to kroger. I strapped it on, and went in. Man, another nervous rush. First time carrying in kroger too. I did notice a couple people make eye contact then look at my side. Oh God! Panic mode... Just hear it now from somebody "GUN!" but no, nobody said a word. Checked out in the self serve lane and I just knew somebody must have seen it as I was swerving back and forth running items in the checkout. If they did, nobody said anything nor asked me.

All in all, MAN WHAT A RUSH! With it on me, I felt very hightened sense of awareness and really nervous. Gotta work on that nervousness alot. Not so nervous as I am figiting or moving the weapon around. Just very aware of people around me and if they are looking at it. I can say, this is the first time I carried inside somewhere. I usually chickened out and left it in the car. I know Tn is concealed and open carry, I just prefer concealed right now. Well, that's about it for the fisrt experience.

cyber

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Concealed is much more prudent. Get a quality inside-the-waistband holster (check Comp-Tac or Blade-Tech) and maybe a smaller gun sooner or later and you will have no worries about getting spotted. Be mindful of reaching to the top shelf on your gun side, or bending at the waist (your back is better off if you squat, anyway). Most of the sheep out there are oblivous to their surroundings, and will assume that lump at your waistline is a cell phone or something, if they notice the lump at all. Don't be so self-conscious about it; find a carry holster/method/sweet spot that works, and just do your thing.

One of the things I do when I'm out is looking for people I think are packing. Nervous guy with the wool-lined vest in July is a dead giveaway. Second place goes to the guy who keeps feeling his belt at 3 or 4 o'clock.

Guest cyberglock21
Well done, it looks like we picked the same day to go to Walmart. Heck we might have passed each other and didn't even know it.:rolleyes:

Might have. I would have been the pale, nervous guy! LOL :D:)

Edited by cyberglock21

carry more and more and you will get over it. I think it is normal to be nervous and concerned about being made.

Carry at home to get used to the feel of it.

After a while you will feel like something is missing when it is not on you.

Guest bkelm18

After a while you will get used to it and eventually get to the point where you really don't care if you print or not if you are carrying concealed. I still don't have the cojones to carry openly.

Guest cyberglock21
carry more and more and you will get over it. I think it is normal to be nervous and concerned about being made.

Carry at home to get used to the feel of it.

After a while you will feel like something is missing when it is not on you.

Around outside and around the yard, I carry in the open and have the permit on me, just in case someone asks. In the house, I carry in the open or have it on the table next to me.

You really need to work on relaxing. As many have said on this forum before... look like you are supposed to have a gun and chances are you won't have any problems. Act all nervous and you are going to attract more attention. Either way you are not breaking the law so there is no reason to be nervous.

Congats by the way!

Soon you will realise that no one is looking at you. I carry a G21SF in a Bianchi Carrylok and never have anyone look at me funny. I went to Walmart today and took my jacket off since it was so hot. My untucked shirt was behind my pistol. I noticed about two minutes after I took my jacket off. Deerslayer is right about reaching for the top shelf on your "heavy" side.

Congratulations!

Newbie here and a newbie concealed carry.:lol: Got it in Dec. and when I carry, I left my gun in the car till today!

Dropped wife off at Wal-Mart and I went shooting at Top Brass in Millington. After I was done, wife still shopping so I gathered up the courage to go in! I lit a cig :cry: to smoke and walked to the door to deliberately read all signs to make sure there was no sign. As I finished cig, and nervous as h**l, I went in! I carry a Glock 21 with just a generic holster till I can get a better one (sold out everywhere) I had my shirt tail out and a big coat over it.

I was kinda looking at a couple people to see if thet saw anything. Usually just a passing glance. Talked and walked around with wife awhile shopping then I broke off to magazine rack. Went back to wife awhile then back to the car. Took gun off in car, put in center console and proceeded to smoke about 10 cigs. Man what an experience! Wife done, went back in without gun and kinda felt naked without it.

She didn't get everything there so we went to kroger. I strapped it on, and went in. Man, another nervous rush. First time carrying in kroger too. I did notice a couple people make eye contact then look at my side. Oh God! Panic mode... Just hear it now from somebody "GUN!" but no, nobody said a word. Checked out in the self serve lane and I just knew somebody must have seen it as I was swerving back and forth running items in the checkout. If they did, nobody said anything nor asked me.

All in all, MAN WHAT A RUSH! With it on me, I felt very hightened sense of awareness and really nervous. Gotta work on that nervousness alot. Not so nervous as I am figiting or moving the weapon around. Just very aware of people around me and if they are looking at it. I can say, this is the first time I carried inside somewhere. I usually chickened out and left it in the car. I know Tn is concealed and open carry, I just prefer concealed right now. Well, that's about it for the fisrt experience.

cyber

There is a better shop down the highway :) By the way I am in Munford also. Pm me I might buy you a cup of coffee. lol Edited by robin48

I went to my local Wal-Mart with my wife not long after I got my permit. I wasn't worried about it, since I had my carry permit. If anyone had asked about me carrying, I would've told them that I was carrying and that I had a permit.

I try to conceal it wearing OWB as best I can, that way people don't freak about and think "OMG! HE HAS A GUN!" :mad:

Conceal carry is a little easier on the blood pressure and its still there.-----MP

this is true, interesting thing for myself.....have been testing the waters with carry, always concealed, generic OWB holster for .38 special trying to use it IWB (very uncomfortable), i've told no one not even the wife. we went shopping yesterday to Kohl's (no postings) and it was IWB small of back (ouch) covered by jacket. we were shopping for jeans for myself and the wife ask me what size the jeans were i had on, i replied she couldn't look right now (so's not to freak out people around us) and she starting grabbing to find the tag, and I repeated myself but she insisted, so "hello, everybody look at my gun!!". after she saw it and caught on, she said "oh, you have your gun on you?". So, moral of the story is, 99.9% of the time, no one's going to know when you carry concealed. Relax, think of it as your wallet with fire power.

Edited by ftncityfatboy

i have had my permit for five or six years now and have carried since day one, (dang i just looked at it and it expires this year in december) i find myself forgetting i have my gun with me, i go into walmart or some other store and wonder why all these dumb as*es are just staring at me and then after getting almost angry i realize i forgot to put my cover shirt on it doesnt happen often but when it does people really look uncomfortable around me, but i carry a full size 1911 and a glock 37 but not at the same time. you will get so used to carrying that you will feel naked and alone without your carry weapon.

Most people don't notice anything much going on around them. I carry a Glock 22 in a Fobus OWB on one side and a spare mag on the other covered by the old "shoot me first IDPA vest" year round. I have had two people ask me if I was going fishing in the past year or so. I got my permit in 1999 and have carried since I was 16, like others have posted in time you won't feel right without it. On the rare occasions I can't carry a gun I tote a Kel-Tec P32 it's a nice little gadget.

I carry my Springfield Operator IWB most of the time and i forget its there even with the weight. It goes with me pretty much everywhere... well minus college. Then, sadly, it has to stay at home and i feel incredibly naked without it. :rolleyes:

At the office it stays in my laptop bag in an easily accessible area.

when I carry my gun, it goes everywhere I go (except federal buildings) , I have little 642 and it is impossible for anyone to figure out I carry, I would imagine with G21 is probably little harder to conceal.I used to have G 21C and stopped carrying because it was to hard to conceal the monster. As far as Wal-Mart goes, I`ve seen a guy with his wife carrying big old Glock openly on his belt, they walked in the store like nobodys business and nobody really paid any attention anyway. After years of carrying I feel naked getting out without a gun, specially if I`m going out with my family at night. If I find myself in the car without my car gun (SW99 loaded with 17 rounds 9mm Golden Sabre HP, plus 3 more full mags) I start panicking. Once you get used to have the gun on you all the time it will become a necessity to have one all the time.

Db

Hey, congrats Cyber!

I'll be taking a permit class in a few weeks. Can't wait. I had a guy tell me they give you a new drivers license and/or put something on it denoting your carry permit status. Is this true? Have not heard anyone else mention it.

O.K. let me ask a question. So be easy on me. WHATS THE BIG DEAL! I always IWC. I have had my permit for over10 years, and I've never opened carry. But dang I feel like as long as I obey the rules and act like a good citizen I have earned the right to carry my firearm where permitted. So If I goto Wal-Mart and buy a new belt run it through my holster or need to drop my mag buy a box of shells load it up and put it in my mag holder so be it. I'm not gonna make a scene but I'm not running to my car or the bathroom to do it. So if You think I'm crazy sorry. I like anyone else felt a lil weird the first time ( carrying) for the dirty minded But so what if you bend down and you catch a glimpse. I'm all about you not knowing what I have under my shirt but dang.

Sorry for the rant.

• 2 weeks later...

It's easier to relax and carry today than it was when I first got a TN carry permit. When I first got a permit, the Deputy Sheriff in charge of handling permit holders for the county I lived in said his deputies were instructed to confiscate the firearm of and ticket for a fine any permit holder who's weapon was seen.

He also said I was not to carry any weapon other than the one I qualified with which could not be a single action of any type including the 1911 style pistol or anything small than a .380. He strongly advised against carrying any auto at all.

I was personally very glad he did all of this and was thankful for the other numerous heavy handed county sheriffs and police departments around the state for likewise thinking. ;)