Revolvers? Anyone carry them?

moondawg

...Hope I can get this 101...

I don't know the answer to your question about the earlier SW, but whether you score a SP101 on auction or not, you should consider getting one period; it's a fine fine .357, unless you just must have a larger 6 shooter.

- OS

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 586/686 was developed to correct the K-Frame weaknesses in .357 Mag. I'm looking for a Model 19 or 66 in 2 1/2" for carry but as a .38 Spcl

+P gun. I have a 686 2 1/2" but it is one very heavy gun for everyday carry in light civilian clothes. I know there are guys on here that swear up and down they can carry heavy machine guns in IWB and jogging shorts, but I personaly have never been comfortable with a really big gun and casual dress. I'm small (5'5") and anything bigger than a K-Frame really shows up on me.

I don't know the answer to your question about the earlier SW, but whether you score a SP101 on auction or not, you should consider getting one period; it's a fine fine .357, unless you just must have a larger 6 shooter.

- OS

Well I am planning for just that. I do want a 4 or 6" six gun though, mostly for woods use. Tough decision with the money limitations and all. Found a half decent deal on the 586 6", so that would do for any handgun hunting I would need to do here in TN. Plus a 357 is a little cheaper to feed than the 44's I had. I say "half decent" because it is a little steep for my meager budget: 586 "no dash" 6" with Pachmayr and wood grips and 2 or 3 speed loaders, he's asking 500. But I do really want that 101 though, with the 3" barrel. I plan on using it for duty backup and for off duty carry, so I'll get a whole lot of use out of it year round. I agree fully, it is "absotively, posilutley" a fine piece.

Edited by res308

YeeeeHaaawww!

Picked up a Smith 586 a couple days ago! 6" barrel. Looks like it hasn't been shot very much at all. Now for a Wolfe spring kit. Ruger SP101 is next on the list. Gotta find some good ammo now, got a few boxes put back, but that ain't nearly enough!

Not trying to interfere, being the NG and all, but won't you run out of brothers at that rate?:D

Just kidd'n

Used to have an sp101. Very pleasant to shoot with either 38s or full house 357s. Let that one get away during my foolish days.

I've sold alot of guns that I regret now but I'm hanging on to my SP101. I've owned a S&W model 68, wish I still had it, a Rossie 686 .357 snubbie, not bad for a cheapo. The biggest piece of snubbie junk I owned before was a Colt Magnum carry, the only revolver I had that ever malfunctioned. Needless to say I was very disappointed in the quality of what I thought should be a great gun named Colt. The SP101 is a great little snubbie and it will handle any .357 load you want to run through it.

Just to clarify, I did get the Smith 586, he wouldn't come down off of 500 and I knew he would get that from someone, judging by what they've been selling for on the auction site. So, I traded into it. Piece that I had only 300 in plus some boot. Got him down to 400 that way. Very pleased with it. Now I've ordered a Ruger SP101. Couldn't stand it anymore. Bowed out of the one on the auction site. A few got into a bidding war and drove the price up to 376. I just refused to pay that for a used one. Hard-headed I am! Got a friend who's an FFL. Cheapest he could find it was 396 plus tax and shipping. His distributor only had 3 left, so I went ahead and ordered it. Should be in tomorrow. :(

I already commented once, but will say one more thing . . .

In 1980 I was in a critical situation in which my Browning 9mm failed me. Luckily I was able to remedy the situation before three guys in a truck with 2 .45s and a pump shotgun literally killed me.

I was able to get them off my back, but the situation would NOT been in doubt if I was not trying to clear jams (stovepipes) and could just shoot.

Since that time, I carry a revolver . . . main carry is a 7 round 686.

Autos are great . . . until your life depends on them . . .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OttoMaddox

I'm a huge proponent of the five shot .38 as a carry gun. One or more go everywhere with me and I never worry about them printing or spooking the horses. Soo easy to conceal, light and ultra reliable. Ever read about a revolvers failure to fire?! lolz I love my 1911s as well but nothing carries as easy as the small wheelguns. And lets face it, having the weapon actually with you makes a big difference.