Laptop set-up?

Guest sharpshooter01

Guest sharpshooter01

I've been thinking about coming out of the cave I've been in since 1998 and upgrading my computer with a new laptop. What do you guys suggest as far as minimum requirements for the laptop and what wireless router should I go with? Is there anything else besides the laptop, internet service, and wireless router that I must have? I don't know a lot about this stuff so any help is appreciated. I use my computer mostly to browse the web and upload pics. I very rarely download music, and I'm not a gamer. I'm trying to keep the total bill as low as possible without getting junk.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me say that I am/was a PC guy for years, and I teach computers using a Mac lab. I have a work issued laptop and I have a dual boot setup. I am neither a "PC Guy" or a "Mac Guy". I'm just a "computer guy"

That being said, if you are not a gamer, and you are just surfing and uploading pictures, then I would suggest a Macbook, or a Macbook Pro with Leopard installed and the iLife suite.

Just my opinion. If you get a PC, I would suggest XP over Vista.

Guest jgriffin

Now I am a Mac guy. However, I have run the IT department for my company for a few years and the PC's are just so much work. They just need virus software constantly and Vista just doesn't work.

I would second the comment. A mac is a lot easier to use. If you have a PC, there will be about a 3 day learning curve before you catch on. However, if you go to a Apple store, there are plenty of people there that will help you before you buy. Most times, depending on your old computer, they will transfer your data from your old computer to your new. No Charge! You do pay a little more for it than a PC but it will really last you. Once again if you live near an Apple Store, service is really easy, you can just take it to them and not have to call in, speak to a customer service rep and then mail it out.

As for a router, get I really like my apple airport extreme and my airport express. The extreme is the main wireless station and the express is a remote station. The express allows me to hookup speakers to it and I can play my music through it wirelessly. Great for outside. Set up is really easy. You can just plug it in and go basically.

If you don't want an apple airport, I would look at Net gear router. It works great.

I have a DELL laptop and my wife just got a Toshiba.

If you buy a DELL on line, you can pretty much build it to fit your needs and pocketbook.

My wife picked up her Toshiba at Circuit City (before the eminent close out) on sale for about $650. I got mine for over $1000 from DEll, but LOTS of bells and whistles.

I run XP, she runs Vista.

I know pretty much about computers to be dangerous, but was told on a computer forum to go for the 64 bit as opposed to the 32 bit.

Some of the more knowledgeable members may want to elaborate on that.

If you're going wireless, the DELL is a B*tch to get set up. The Toshiba fell right into place.

I don't know anything about a MAC, except, most of the music, graphic arts, and film industies prefer them.

Guest RemedyCNC

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720. Cost quite a bit of money but if it is your primary computer, you will like the large screen. It is heavy and a burden to pack around but I like the large screen. I will second the no to Vista. Vista is horrible and would get XP, even if it cost more. I have never used a Mac so no comment there.

I'm in IT, and I've been working in PC shops ever since I started in the industry. I use them at home because I'm a video game junkie, with guns being my only other hobby. But I'll say this, the Mac guys are right. If you don't plan on gaming, buy a Mac. Even if you do plan on gaming, you can buy a Mac with a dedicated graphics card anyways and dual boot it to XP Pro 32 bit and be capable of running most current games anyway.

Since you live near Knoxville, take a drive up to West Town Mall and go spend an hour or so at the Apple store. You can get a feel for the Mac that way, and most Apple stores offer free classes for those who want to get more out of their Macs.

Let me say I used to troubleshoot computers on the side and Dell has been riding on their good name for a while now and I have seen some sub-par products come from them.

Case in point is that Dell uses proprietary parts when they can. I know you are getting a laptop and I am not sure about them, but desktop parts are made so you *have* to get a replacement part from Dell. If your Dell power supply goes out and you go get a power supply from Tiger Direct, etc., you will fry your motherboard.

Pay a little more, get the mac. It's not just a hardware things, it's also software as a previous poster stated. When I boot up to my OS X side, I can get on a lot of places with very little trouble. When I boot the same machine up to the XP side, I have to tweak a lot to get it to work in different places.

Just my opinion. If you get a PC, I would suggest XP over Vista.

You have right close to zero possibility of getting a new box with XP on it.

And trying to add it after the fact can be problematic, since there are any number of newer hardware components that aren't supported by XP, especially lap top innards. They may work (or not), but with limited functionality. Can be a nightmare for less than propeller head, and a challenge even for a full tilt boogie geek.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest abailey362

only way to get xp now is on a mini book with an atom processor

i just got a new toshiba running the dreaded vista and have no issues with it.

just get enough ram (4 gig) and a good name brand machine and you will be fine. a good setup can be found for 700-800

I love my apple. Go check out a new apple and a new pc laptop at Best Buy. They have both, but they might not have an apple expert there. It is really hard to get a virus on a apple also. My friend's pc got tons of viruses and spyware just from myspace, and I had none. Apples are extremely simple to use too.

My current technology professor is not biased against an apple or a pc. He just recommended that if you get a pc laptop, get a dell laptop; and if you get an apple, get the regular macbook (no need for the pro).

Mac...

Been using them since System 7.0... hard to beat. And I have owned and worked with

windows OS though. Prefer the simplicity of the Mac OS. Especially since they went with Unix in system 10.

I'd rather have a used Mac, than a new Windows based machine any day of the week.

You have right close to zero possibility of getting a new box with XP on it.

And trying to add it after the fact can be problematic, since there are any number of newer hardware components that aren't supported by XP, especially lap top innards. They may work (or not), but with limited functionality. Can be a nightmare for less than propeller head, and a challenge even for a full tilt boogie geek.

- OS

Not necessarily true. I can still get laptops and desktops with current hardware all running WinXP, and I bet ClutePc can as well. You can't walk into Staples or bestbuy and get'em...but your friendly gun toting computer guys can :-)

Guest tjbert47
I been using the IBM Thinkpad. Even though Levono? has been making them for the last couple of years, It's been pretty bullet proof.

I have a R61i Thinkpad, It has been a good one. The only XP Pro Laptop I could find.

Not necessarily true. I can still get laptops and desktops with current hardware all running WinXP, and I bet ClutePc can as well. You can't walk into Staples or bestbuy and get'em...but your friendly gun toting computer guys can :-)

Anything's possible with the correct geekage applied.

Was making a statement re new boxes from normal sales chain, for normal user such as OP.

And yes, you can still buy legal XP, not to mention, ahem, other ways ...

- OS

Guest 7987Steve

Agreed, if you can pay the extra coin and don't do a lot except surf the web, pictures, and / or music, get the Macbook ("Glock" of the computer world...easy, entertaining, and reliable.) Stay away from HP ("RG-22" of the computer world ... ineffective and unreliable). If you must get PC stick with dell or lenovo and get XP downgrade. MHO of course.

Edited by 7987Steve
Punctuation