Home defense shotgun

Guest sharpshooter01

What brand do you prefer in a home defense shotgun?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What brand do you prefer in a home defense shotgun?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cdsusong

Kind of a strange question but, what about the Tarus Judge with 3" 410ga shells in it? I am considering purchasing one of these just for home defense and I believe the wife could handle it with no problems.

Kind of a strange question but, what about the Tarus Judge with 3" 410ga shells in it? I am considering purchasing one of these just for home defense and I believe the wife could handle it with no problems.

If you're just gonna piss off an intruder with .410, why not just use a .22 for even less recoil (and probably the same or greater effectiveness)?

- OS

As a rule, any semi-automatic shotgun will tend to be more finicky about its ammunition (and thus more prone for stoppages) than a pump shotgun.

Thank you. Sticking with oo buck and slugs,would there be a certain amount count to ensure reliability?

I really like my 870,just would like to have the 11-87 as another "go to".

I can't afford to send it off for someone to slick it down and don't want to cheat myself of the learning experience.

Guest sharpshooter01
I have to say 870.

I have seen what kind of abuse they can take and keep on ticking.

I want to know why 11-87 wasn't included.

I am considering one in the Special Purpose catagory for home defense.

I just need some of you to edumacate me on the pros and cons.

Are the SP 11-87's known to jam?

Because I wanted to know about a pump. I've gone down the semi route with duck hunting guns and have seen what they can do as far as jamming. I haven't seen very many pumps jam up or have any other problems.

Guest sharpshooter01

I agree .410 will just piss'em off. I would at least get a 20 ga for your purpose, but my wife is going to learn to shoot what ever shotgun I buy and then decide if she would rather use it or the .45 if someone ever comes in the house uninvited. By the way I would love to have a Judge just to carry fishing.

• Administrator

PRO for an Automatic: Softer recoil makes it easier (and less scary) for most female shooters.

Just something for the resident He-Men to think about if they have a lady in their life. My wife didn't care for a pump shotgun at all. She handles the SPX autoloader easily and with a more confidence since she knows it isn't going to buck as hard against her as a pump gun will.

Sure, it not be as painless as an 870 to disassemble and clean... but it's not that hard either. And if taking a few extra minutes to service my shotgun is what it takes to provide a home defense weapon that my wife will actually USE instead of skipping over to go to a handgun in the middle of the night, then that's what it takes. Small concession for me to make.

Just some food for thought.

PRO for an Automatic: Softer recoil makes it easier (and less scary) for most female shooters.

Just something for the resident He-Men to think about if they have a lady in their life. My wife didn't care for a pump shotgun at all. She handles the SPX autoloader easily and with a more confidence since she knows it isn't going to buck as hard against her as a pump gun will.

Sure, it not be as painless as an 870 to disassemble and clean... but it's not that hard either. And if taking a few extra minutes to service my shotgun is what it takes to provide a home defense weapon that my wife will actually USE instead of skipping over to go to a handgun in the middle of the night, then that's what it takes. Small concession for me to make.

Just some food for thought.

Tungsten, thats a very good thought. but if someone just had to have a pump, they could go with a Knoxx recoil reducing stock and be right with the semi's in the recoil department, if not better. i'm thinking seriously about getting a collapsible M4 Knoxx for my 500...

• Administrator
Tungsten, thats a very good thought. but if someone just had to have a pump, they could go with a Knoxx recoil reducing stock and be right with the semi's in the recoil department, if not better. i'm thinking seriously about getting a collapsible M4 Knoxx for my 500...

I had a Knoxx stock on my old 870 and never found it to be all that "recoil reducing" in practice. Todd @ CIS bought the gun from me so I don't know if he still has the Knoxx stock on it or if it ever loosened up and started reducing the recoil or not.

Maybe he can speak to that end once he stumbles across this thread.

Guest JeepMonkey

Back home, my Dad has a pistol-grip 500 20ga. with a SureFire forend light. He got the 20ga. for my 15-y/o sister, and it stays loaded under her bed (she is better with gun safety than a lot of LEO's and USAF people I know).

Oh, and both Dad and I have Winchester 1400's under our beds. B)

As for 870 vs. Mossberg, I'd go for the Mossy any day.

Guest abailey362

i voted other because I love my new Mossy 590 and it just feels much better than my 500. that being said, the 500 I have was my second gun, after a single shot .22 and i've been shooting it for years and it has never had an issue.

I personally prefer a pump to an auto becuase of possible loading issues, but to each his own.

You will be happy with either, but i'm a mossy guy and it'll stay that way