M&P 22 Compact comments??

DaveTN

Anyone have one? I don’t have a .22 pistol for my M&P collection because I didn’t want the one made by Walther. I have been told that the M&P 22 Compact is being made by Smith & Wesson here.

As this won’t be a carry gun I would rather have the full size; but it is what it is. So my question is this… My 617 is a K-frame. It’s the same as any other K-frame except it’s a .22. I don't see how this M&P 22 could be close to the same, as it’s about half the weight of my 40 Compact. (But its nearly the same cost)

I wonder how it would compare to a Victory on accuracy?

59 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Anyone have one? I don’t have a .22 pistol for my M&P collection because I didn’t want the one made by Walther. I have been told that the M&P 22 Compact is being made by Smith & Wesson here.

As this won’t be a carry gun I would rather have the full size; but it is what it is. So my question is this… My 617 is a K-frame. It’s the same as any other K-frame except it’s a .22. I don't see how this M&P 22 could be close to the same, as it’s about half the weight of my 40 Compact. (But its nearly the same cost)

I wonder how it would compare to a Victory on accuracy?

The dimensions are very close, most of the weight savings is in the slide. (They had to make it much lighter so the 22 could cycle it.)

Also, I'm not sure if there are rimfire versions available with no manual safety, as in the centerfire models.

You may want to look at the Ruger SR 22. A little more expensive than the S&W but it also is NOT striker fired. It also has a hammer drop manual safety like real SIG pistols. I have the compact version and I wouldn't trade it for the S&W or Walther models.

Bill

I have a compact 22.  Great shooter for function and acceptable accuracy.  Not as accurate as the Ruger 22/45 and I would bet the Victory is better as well.  Don't expect any better out of the SR22.  I use both the SR and compact a lot in my HCP classes.  Much prefer the Compact.  If you get a compact, once the sights are set, lock-tite or nail polish the windage bar....the have a habit of falling out if you don't. 

• Like 1

I have the M&P 22 Compact.  It's reliable and if you keep it moderately clean, cycles every ammo I've tried.  The accuracy is pretty good.  My Victory, on the other hand, is a lot more finicky but is a lot more accurate... epecially after I put fistfuls of dollars upgrading it.   But the pistol I currently enjoy shooting most?  The Taurus TX22.  To me it feels a lot more like shooting an M&P than the M&P 22 Compact.  Being striker fired is a lot of that (only 22LR striker pistol that I know of), but the grip feel is very familiar too.